• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

aston x

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
would health and safety allow this today getting on and off trams in the middle of the road

I doubt it John and even back in the day of the trams it was very scary
and especially in areas where there was more traffic. They had no regulations for vehicles to come to a halt when the tram stopped to let off passengers. My Mother used to literally drag me off and run to the pavement especially at Stockland Green which was very busy even then.

In Toronto, there were regulations to protect passengers alighting from streetcars in the middle, of the street...all vehicles had to stop. These days all the Toronto street cars have an enclosed track and the passengers after alighting can walk to a traffic light crosswalk to arrive on the pavement.

John, I don't know what Health & Safety would say, but I say thanks for sharing a great photo, I can remember Aston Cross from those days.

jennyann, then as now, drivers following a tram had by law to stop behind it at tramstops unless it was safe to overtake to the right of it. It was also against the the law to overtake a moving tram on the inside. It was because of this that trams became so unpopular by the 1950's as more motor traffic came on the roads and drivers became less patient, often completely disregarding the safety of people getting on and off the trams.
Mike

Trams!!!! Take a look at modern melbourne trams.
As Jennyann says there are stops at traffic lights for passengers to cross the road.
And you should try driving in melbourne. On a road with tram lines all drivers wanting to turn RIGHT have to get into the LEFT lane and pull into the middle of the crossroad and when the lights go green for the crosstraffic then you can go.
It is only visitors like me that get caught trying to turn right - all locals know their way round.

Regards
Bob
in Adelaide

John that photo brings back memories of my teenage years when I used to go to dances at the Golden Cross pictured. It was a bit rough. I couldn't imagine waiting in the middle of the road for a bus today. Jean.

Funnily enough,getting on and off a tram at Aston Cross and a few similar stops wasn't too risky,as the track ran on a stretch of reserved carriageway,with no other traffic allowed.The risky stops were where the tram stopped literally in the centre of the road,and it was a case of jumping on or off hoping that no car driver or motor or pedal cyclist would try to pass on the nearside.I remember it was always a bit chancey on a fastish stretch of road such as where I used to get a tram,on Aston Road near the Dartmouth Street junction. Mal.

Hi Mallyb2: I imagine that some places to alight from the trams were much safer than others. At Six Ways, Erdington they had a covered shelter where you could easily get on and off the tram. Other places where there were stops in the middle of the road, as motorman-mike says, that as more cars appeared on the roads they would have been impatient to stop for trams all the time.

Hi Jennyann,strange you should mention the tram-stop at six-ways, Erdington,as I only mentioned it in another thread only a day or two ago.You're quite right,it was a covered shelter on a reserved stretch,the trouble came in getting to it ! It was built in the centre of the roundabout,so you always had to run the risk of dodging the traffic,mind, the traffic was very sparse compared to nowadays.I somehow don't think it would be allowed in this day and age. Mal.

Another Aston health and safety issue this lady is three storeys up with out safety gear I can remember my Mom cleaning the attic windows like this

Last edited:
John my mom too and that was only the bedroom windows and it used to scare the living daylights out of me. My aunt opened her window one day and the sasch cord snapped trapping her fingers and I can still see all that blood today.:cry: She had to go to hospital and had lots of stitches in the cuts. Jean.

I,ve cleaned windows this way it,s o.k. as long as you bring the window down onto your legs that way you can,t fall backwards i,ll tell you whats scary watching the men cleaning the glass building at the bottom of Hollaway Head they climb of the top absail down swinging side to side cleaning as they go. O TO BE A WINDOW CLEANER .Dek

It used to scare me stiff when mom opened the bedroom window, leand out and then sat down and pulled the upper sash on to her lap. Very often a neighbour would pass and shout up to her, so she would turn as far as she could and hold a conversation. Pheeeeeeeeeeww

My Mom and Aunt would do that when we lived in Aston:)

I was glad when we went to The Ridgeway and she couldn't do it.

When my nan was in service at a house in Aston mom said she refused to clean the outside windows in a thunderstorm as she was scarred the bucket would get struck by lightening. Maybe thats why I hate storms so much?. Jean.

My Mom also cleaned our windows in Dymoke St Highgate that way...
We had a man clean them when we moved to the flats in Nechells.

Back