• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Villa player murdered 1920/30s

W

Wakadowakado

The Thomas Ball Death in the Nineteen Twenties

Hi Everyone, Has anyone got interesting connections or opinions about this
sad event of the Aston Villa player?

Re: The Thomas Ball Death in the Nineteen Twenties

Type the word 'Stagg' the name of the man who shot him into the top search box and you will find posts about the Muder and even a photo of Tommy Ball.

Pom :angel:

Re: The Thomas Ball Death in the Nineteen Twenties

From The Northern Echo website:

THE murder at Brick Kiln Cottages - and not many top professional footballers may these days have an address like Brick Kiln Cottages - was said to have caused a sensation in Midland football circles. It stirred the North-East, too.
Tommy Ball, the victim, was born in Chester-le- Street in 1900, brought up at Usworth, near Washington, won his first medal as a 10- year-old with the school team, was down the pit at 13 and at 20 moved from Wardley Villa, to Aston Villa, already six times champions since the Football League's formation.
It was a house swap perhaps unessayed before or since.
Tommy Ball was the supposed answer to Tuesday's question: the only Football League player ever to have been murdered.
There's an objection, however. Neil Mackay in Lanchester proposes the inclusion on that lugubrious list of Ted Robledo, left back in Newcastle United's FA Cup winning side who - says Neil - was thrown to his death from a train.
Our correspondent is thus all at sea (or not, as the case may be.) Robledo, a Chilean who was four when his family fled to England, was signed by Newcastle from Barnsley in 1949, though (and this may sound familiar) United didn't really want him.
The target was his brother, George, deemed the better player. So great their fraternity, however, that one wouldn't move without t'other. George was also in the Wembley side, the first time that two foreign players had been in the same Cup winning team.
After retiring from football, Ted worked on an oil tanker, posted missing in what were said to be "mysterious circumstances." Though it was rumoured that he had been thrown off the ship and drowned, no charges were ever brought or body found.
Neil's case must thus be found not proven, as the Scots would have it, and we return ruminatively to Tommy Ball.
Settled in Birmingham, he'd married Beatrice Richards - daughter of a well-known pork butcher, pie maker and lard refiner - and swiftly became Villa's first choice centre-half.
England honours were confidently forecast.
Ball's arrival could hardly have been better timed, for Frank Barson - a somewhat abrasive character with the perhaps unique distinction of being sent off in his own testimonial - had been transferred to Manchester United.
Tom and Beattie lived in Brick Kiln Cottages, one of an isolated pair in Perry Barr. George Stagg, their 45- year-old landlord - a former Birmingham policeman who'd been wounded and gassed in the war - occupied the other half.
Stagg shot him in the late evening of Armistice Day 1923, the day after Villa's 1-0 win at Notts County had moved them up to a challenging third in the old first division.
That Sunday evening, Tom and Beattie had been for three halves of mild at their local in Perry Barr, returning shortly after 9.
30pm, which in those days was closing time.
While Beattie made the supper, Tom went out into the garden to exercise the dog.
Stagg didn't like the dog, it was subsequently suggested, nor greatly approve of his neighbours' chickens scrattin' about the place, either.
As the Northern Echo put it the following Tuesday morning, an altercation followed.
Stagg didn't even try to flee the scene, poor Ball's body found on the sofa, with his killer awaiting the police.
The first shot missed, it was said. The second had passed straight through the victim's chest, leaving a hole the size of a half crown.
We'd also reported that November morning that Middlesbrough had won just six out of 33 games in 1923, that Durham City had beaten Crewe Alexandra 3-0 in the Third Division (North), that South Shields were improving in the second division and that Coxhoe Pottery FC had disbanded, leaving just five teams in the Mid-Durham League. The previous season it had had two divisions.
At this point, however, the story is taken up by "The Murder of Tommy Ball, an Aston Villa Tragedy", a little book written by Paul Lester, published in 1996 and kindly loaned by that wellknown arch-Villan the Rev Leo Osborn, chairman of the Newcastle upon Tyne district of the Methodist church.
Tommy Ball, says Lester, quite literally had the world at his feet.
"It is not too much to suppose that he would have gone on to become a player of acclaimed greatness."
Lester also includes a contemporary poem about the incident, which could almost be sung - perhaps it was - to the tune of the Trimdon Grange Explosion.
It began: Twas on a Sabbath evening In drear November days, Two friends were heard creating', In Perry Barry's byways, High words just fed the anger, Now this young man's life is fled, A shot and then another!
And Thomas Ball lies dead.
Lester's sceptical of the "pet hate" theory. Rather, he supposes, that on Armistice Day of all days, Stagg was feeling a bit sorry for himself and probably a bit envious, too.
Ball earned £8 a week, plus a regular £2 win bonus, and could afford his halves of mild at the Church Tavern. Stagg was on a pittance police pension, plus a few shillings more because of his war wounds.
Stagg claimed the shooting was accidental, which didn't altogether explain what he was doing in his garden late at night with a loaded shotgun.
Found guilty, he was sentenced to death despite the jury's recommendation for clemency.
After an appeal, the sentence was commuted to penal servitude for life.
They blamed the soft new Labour government.
Tommy Ball was buried in Perry Barr cemetery, his once-ornate grave - footballs on every corner - now much vandalised. George Stagg was 87 when he died, in a mental hospital, in 1966.
"It was the saddest football tragedy of all time,"
said the Birmingham Sports Argus, but that was 35 years before the terrible events of Munich.

I have many old local newspapers from 1900-1950, while looking through one of the binders a couple of months ago I came across a story of a Aston Villa player being shot and killed (this was headline news of the time).
Now I was telling somebody about this and that person, a villa fan (shame), would like to have a look at the story.
The problem is I have about 100 really heavy binders from the years mentioned and I cannot remember what year I saw the story in.
Can anybody give me a date to this story please?

If somebody can tell me how to get photos attached to a post I will take a picture of the newspaper!

Hi I'm Villa Support and have been for over 60 years there,s not wrong us.

I think this is person who is buried in St John's Church Yard, Church Lane Perry Barr, and his dog sat by his grave and is remembered on the grave.

If you look at Website for St. John's Church Perry Barr History section it states it was a police officer who shot him the year was 1924.

I may have a picture of the grave if can find it I'll post on the Forum.

Ray,
The binder I want is right at the bottom of the pile and will take some getting at (sods law).

Ray who is the best (and worst) player you've seen in the Claret and blue in 60 years?

Would be interested to see the photo of the murdered Villa player's grave if you are able to post. Was the policeman who killed him suffering from shell shock from WW 1 ?

Ray who is the best (and worst) player you've seen in the Claret and blue in 60 years?

Would be interested to see the photo of the murdered Villa player's grave if you are able to post. Was the policeman who killed him suffering from shell shock from WW 1 ?

Gerry Hitchens to mind for the best player, I think the worst was Cowboy Goffin wicked or Sailor Brown theres one from the past.

I think the PC was an un upset Birmingham supporter, I think we must have beaten AGAIN.

As the death of Tommy Ball Aston Villa player murdered 1920/30s had been discussed in an earlier thread this year I've merged both threads together. Hope this helps....
There are couple of other threads that also mention Tommy... so just type ''Tommy Ball' or 'Stagg' (The name of the man who shot him) in the search box and you will find them.

Pom

I took this picture today.It is the grave of Tommy Ball but i am not sure it is the original memorial.Its not as i remember it as a lad,i also thought it was in a different part of the cemetery,a part that is too overgrown to get to now.
But maybe my memory is letting me down again.

Back