• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Union Workhouse

Here’s a ‘tear jerker’ story and I apologize for the length…….

I'm looking for any information concerning my maternal Grandmother, Gertrude Harley Webb.
I have a document that states she was residing at "The Workhouse, Selly Oak" on the 20th May 1921, she was born on 17th September 1895.
I believe this "Workhouse" became "Selly Oak Infirmary" and eventually became "Selly Oak Hospital".
However, prior to this, from her son’s birth certificate, Harold Leslie Webb, I’ve found that he was born on 25 June 1920 at 1 Union Street, which I found out as being 'ASTON Workhouse'.
This means his mother, Gertrude, was residing here at ASTON Workhouse in 1920, before moving to SELLY OAK Workhouse.
Incidentally her daughter, my mother, Violet Elsie was born in 1917 at 26 Perrott Street, Winson Green.
Harold was later killed at Dunkirk on 20 May 1940 aged 19.

From the web site https://www.workhouses.org.uk/ I found that ASTON Workhouse later became Highcroft hospital which now provides psychiatric care.
Also from this web site it states a number of different records can be found at the Central Library, these are:

Records include: Guardians' minute books (1836-1912); Creed registers (early 1900s onwards); Various workhouse infirmary patient records (early 1900s to 1980s); Register of adopted children (1903-11); Register of deserted children (1897-1912); Cottage Home registers 1889-1924. Guardian’s minute books (1783-1930); Indoor relief lists (1889-1915); Baptism registers (1864 onwards).

But “the spanner in the works” is... I cannot get at these records because these records are covered by a 100 year closure period in order to comply with Data Protection legislation and are not generally available to view. I must have legal permission to look at them and the Central Library, at the moment, has no legal representative they can contact.

I'm trying to find out what happened to Gertrude after the 'workhouse' any information relating to Gertrude or Harold or Violet at this time (1920ish) would be very much appreciated.

My Thomas Henry Manton was born Aston Manor,Erdington, Warwick. Parents James Manton and Sarah Ann Swain. Thomas Henry Manton had siblings: James Albert Manton B: 1858, Emma Elizabeth Manton B: 1859, Sarah Ann Manton B:1863, Alice Maude Manton B: 1866, Charles Ernest Manton B: 1868 and William Frederick Manton B: 1871 all born in Aston except William who was born in Handsworth.
My Thomas Henry Manton was married 18 Nov 1876, Birchfield, Handworth to Fanny Lizars Morrison B: 13 Jan 1858, Ipswich, Suffolk. Their children were Archibald Thomas James Manton B: 4 Oct 1877, Birmingham - Hubert Frank Manton B: 10 Apr 1878, Birmingham - BEATRICE MAUD MANTON B: 26 Apr 1879 Birmingham (my grandmother) and Florence May Manton 1881.

My Henry Manton was living at 84 Lozell Road, Aston in 1876 working as a Silversmith.
Then in 1881 he was living in Ashdale, Yardley, Liverpool. Worcester as a Master Silversmith will 40 employees.
Then in 1891 I believe he was an inmate at Winson Green Assylum discharged to Aston Union Hospital (Workhouse) the same year his records only say he had his first attack at 34 yrs of age. Does not say when he died or what he died of.

In 1891 Fanny was living at 124 Bordsley Green, Aston working as a shopkeeper of Sweetmeats.
In 1901 Fanny was teaching at a Cooking School living at Chaworth Road, West Bridgeford, Nottinghamshire where her son Archibald Manton lived.
Since his wife Fanny moved to Canada in 1902 it may be that Thomas Henry Manton died in that year. I have no further reference to him. Fanny took Beatrice and Florence on the SS Parisiane 24 April 1902 and lived in Winnipeg then Vancouver, B.C., Canada then Seattle Washington, USA.

Hope this is of some assistance.

I have a death certificate for a 14 year old boy who died of typhoid fever in the Aston Union Workhouse in April 1891. The certificate is signed by a William Hogg(?) - Master of Aston Union Workhouse, Erdington. The boy's name was William Marklew and it is possible that he was an ancestor of mine. The problem is that the certificate says, under the heading "occupation" - Son of William Marklew, labourer of Moseley Street, Deritend and this does not quite fit with other information I have. So, the question is have I got the right father and son team or not ?. My best guess is that the son was admitted to the infirmary and was not a resident of the workhouse. I'm having difficulty throwing any light on the father or any other members of the family who might have lived in Moseley Street. Can anyone throw any light on either the father or the son ?

Regards, Snowball.

there is a william marklew on the 1891 census in the workhouse which is the one you have got the death cert for. he is listed as age 13. there is also in 1891 a william marklew in prison, he is listed as married and aged 39yrs but his occ. is barber (hair).

Good evening Shera from a dark windy night in Australia.

I can find William the younger as a son to William the father and Jane Marklew as a three year old in the 1881 census, the only record I can find after that is for this boy of the same name in the Workhouse infirmary and who died there in 1891 - the ages between for the son matches the ten year time gap. I can find no other record of the younger William in the 1901 census although I can find his family, William and Jane and some of their children.

You are also correct in placing my ancestor as a guest of Her Majesty in Birmingham Jail in the year 1891 and for most of his life he was a hair dresser (except for the bit in jail). I have seen lots of really shocking hair do's in England during my last visit so I presume sending your hairdresser to jail if you don't like the finished product is no longer carried out in England ?.

Do you think that we are still looking at just two William Marklews, a father and son, or do you think that the William Marklew from Moseley Street is another person altogether ?

Regards, Snowball.

Rebecca Waterson b 1867 in the East Indies.She moved to Aston and on the 1881 census was
living with Father Henry James,Step Mother Ann(nee Owen).Henry b 1865.John b 1869.
Henry junior married Clara Cadman in 1892 and by 1901 was living at Kings Heath.
By 1901 Henry James and his wife were dead.No sign of John.
Rebecca was a inmate of The Work House aged 32.
I can not find a marriage for Rebecca,or a death.
What happened to her and John?
Regards
John Hughes

in 1911 she was still in the workhouse. they have her as aged 33 but i think it must be her. she is single and occ. is former servant born india.

regarding john waterson - in 1911 living registered lodging house in dean st. bham aged 40. single. a labourer at coal wharf. born at sea

theres a death of rebecca waterson in bham north in 1929 aged 51. perhaps there was confusion over her age as in 1911 census!!

also a death of john waterson in bham north in 1926 age 47.

Many thanks again Shera.The information about Rebecca sounds good.I think I will try for a death cert for 1929.Not too sure about John
Waterson.The family from the East Indies(or India depending on which Census) did not do too well.
Rebecca's mother died in Aston 1871.(Catherine)
Her brother Henry who married my Grand mother's sister was a painter and decorator by trade, the lime used in white washing ceilings
got in his eyes and he lost his sight.I can just about rember him in the late 1930's
Bye
John Hughes

Shera
You will be glad to know Rebecca Waterson is the right one.The death was 10 July 1929 at 18 Union Rd,Aston.Her Father is given
as Henry Hughes(painter) deceased,which is 100% correct.She had been living at 3 Court 6 House,Leopold St.Not far from the old
Family Home.I must do more work on the brother.
Cheers
John Hughes

Dear Friends, re: Aston Union Workhouse, Highcroft Hall, Highcroft Hospital,
having recently retired and joined the Forum, this is to let you know that the book, Highcroft from Workhouse to Modern Mental Health Service, an illustrated history (78pages) is available from the FRIENDS OF HIGHCROFT . List price £8.99 if you reply to me I can explain how to obtain a copy.
We do not, however, have any personal information regarding residents or staff.
regards, Julian Cleaver

Hi Dogwood
Recently retired from the Highcroft site I hope this helps. the city lunatic asylum became All Saints psych hospital; the transfer to Aston Union workhouse would likely have happened for one or both reasons, 1) that the patient got better from an acute mental illness and could be managed in the less intensive facilty of a workhouse. 2) workhouses cost less to the state than asylums and transfers were achieved when the patient inmate could perhaps begin to contribute to the working life of the institution. At that time Aston Union workhouse would have had old people, infirm people, homeless, itinerants, and children, with its own infirmary for those who needed nursing or medical attention. We don't have any information re individual residents or staff. Best wishes, Julian Cleaver
This is to let you know that an illustrated history published 2002 is again available from FRIENDS of HIGHCROFT 78pages HIGHCROFT from Workhouse to Modern Mental Health Service.list price £8.99

Hya all I have only recently been able to come back to this part of my family history.
However, In my case it is true that my emily hannah smith was in the aston union workhouse due to the fact that she had diabetes and she had been widowed between 1901 and when she finally passed away in 1909.
Of course in those days diabetes was very much in the realms of usually undiagnosed.
Being a widow and having 4 children this I suspect is why she was in the workhouse. Although I cannot understand as there were lots of relatives around her. All of her children were born in the grandparents and great grandparents homes in the same courtyard where they all lived together.
Her parents and grandparents were all still alive when she passed away at 41 years old. At the time she lived in Garrison Street.

I have recently bought a workhouse 1 penny coin, i cant help feeling the sadness when i hold this coin. Max

My Dad had one of those but I have not been able to locate it. Is it one of the massive ones?

Yes it is a large coin , it has the Birmingham Workhouse on one side and its value on the other, saying that " 240 would be exchanged for a £ note".
I feel tremendous sorrow as i had family that ended there and some that were children and sent there. God Bless all that endured the misery. Max

Does anyone know if there are records of admissions available to view? Looking for my GGG grandmother who was an inmate there around 1870.

I know this is an old thread. However, did you, or anyone manage to find records for admissions and discharges for the Aston workhouse as my Great Grandfather was born there in 1878 and then disappeared for years!

Anyone wanting info for Staffordshire should be aware there is an online index available
https://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/StartPage.aspx?Mode=Details&Index=E

The only place that I have found Aston union residents listed is on the various census lists, there are also lists for reformatory schools on the census lists.

Sometimes on these census lists for reformatory schools, prisons, workhouses etc, the residents are only listed by initals and not full names.

Nice idea, I've just checked and Aston and the others for 1881 seem to have full names. Just for a moment there was a glimour of hope! Thanks anyway.

My great grandfather was untraceable for ages, then I tried every possible variation of his name and eventually found him under a completely mis-spelt name, also try every possible relative , I've also found relatives in a completely different county where they had been staying with aunts and uncles etc.

You're right, transcription errors are often one of the biggest problems - George Thomas Lowe - Grandson we found as GARGE TOMASS LAWE - NEPHEW -- Oh the joys of letting people fill in the census themselves in 1911.

We have also found tracing relatives ver useful - as they seem to stay with - or quite often be adopted by relatives.

With this particular chap - the females seem to have had numerous illegitemate children - so there are numerous dead ends!!

I give up trying to chase him but from time to time I make another determined effort - I'm sure I'll track at least "Walter Harry Phillips" if not his mother - Phillips is certainly open to misspelling.

Thanks for your interest

Does anyone know where burials took place for people who died in the workhouse around 1909?

from Marg

Probably Witton Cemetery,, if they didn,t have a graveyard at the Workhouse (Highcroft Hospital later ? )
Sutton Coldfield was its own Borough so although nearer to Erdington wouldn,t take B,ham people.

Re: Aston union workhouse, erdington

I had the death cert of my relative who passed away in here so knew the date of the death.
Rang Witton on the of-chance and yes she was there.
They were exceptional and next day gave me the number etc.
Have rung again about my Albert edward smith stating that he must have passed away between 1901 & 1908 but they said it is too long a gap to look at.
So, yes the cemetery's are great at giving information so just give them a call.

Hi
I was wondering if anyone can recognize this Military Band Uniform, it is my great uncle, he lived in Aston and his father died at the Workhouse Infirmary. I believe they had a Military Band called The Erdington Prize Band, just wondered if this was the uniform for them, be most grateful of any help regarding this.

I have made enquiries and managed to find out that this was not the uniform for the Erdington Prize Band, so now I think it must be a Military Band Uniform, just need to find out which one now

Back