• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Road North

Evocative,memories of a time past, a shop name here, a shop name there, I know that one, do not remember that one and those fifties and sixties British built cars, but most of all black and white photos, still the most
revealing form of photo and that is not a stark condemnation of all those magnificent colour photos from Ell and co there is a bleakness to a black and white picture, an honesty, they are revealing. Yet some of these were taken in the swinging sixties yet show none of the louchness of that time. Thanks again for reminding us of what it all looked like, not very long ago really

Bob

Trying to get my bearings to appreciate the old pictures it seems very little is left of Aston Road North. Here is a split picture of the OS Map published 1945, and the modern 3D google Earth view.

The west side has completely gone and on the east side only a few buildings of note still remaining. Looking north there is a building on the corner of Aston Road North and Aston Brook Street, the pub now called the Jamaica Inn on the corner of Whitehouse Street, and the old Post Office on the corner of Holland Road.

77E29FA2-0BD1-4273-871A-4B41EB2917F8.jpeg

Thanks Pedro. I spent ages yesterday faffing about trying to get my bearings and just had to give up. There’s so little left to go on.

That’s very helpful. Viv.

Lyn's incredible pictures and Pedrocut's post #89 have inspired me to see what buildings remain in this area. As a child growing up in Parliament Street I spent many hours aged 5 or 6 playing 'tracking' in the streets either side of Aston Road North (the streets seemed safer in those days for young children).

At the 'town end' of Aston Road North houses have survived in Aston Brook Street East and Hubert Street although these are barely recognisable with front doors converted to windows and presumably are now apartments with access and parking to the rear. How did they ever survive the destruction and obliteration of the 60s ?

As mentioned in other posts, few other buildings have survived, I have marked these on a map and attached images. What a sad end to this once 'buzzing' area.

Attachments

• Aston_Road_North.jpg
    Aston_Road_North.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Hubert Street_1.jpg
    Hubert Street_1.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Corner of Aston Brook St_2.jpg
    Corner of Aston Brook St_2.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 32
  • Alfred Place Aston Brook St East_3.jpg
    Alfred Place Aston Brook St East_3.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Aston Brook Street East_4.jpg
    Aston Brook Street East_4.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Aston House_5.jpg
    Aston House_5.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 34
  • The Albion_6.jpg
    The Albion_6.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 36
  • The Post Office_7.jpg
    The Post Office_7.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Golden Cross_8.jpg
    Golden Cross_8.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 34
I think this building, Whitehouse & Co Printers (foundry in the background) is now known as Aston House.

May 1926 Whitehouse and Co. notified their employees that unless they return to work by 8.00 am tomorrow they will be dismissed.

In 1889 it was a chemist (Established 1860) GD Horton MPS

Now home for a number of company offices.

also thanks from me john...your photos and info and pedros input are certainly putting some meat on the bones of this thread...as already said a sad end to a buzzing era but at least we have the old photos to jog memories and to inspire our members to post them....just what bhf is all about:)

lyn

the general havelock pub. was full of irish. when c. bryant. built the new sewer and mods to brook. in aston brook st.1960s
the woman in the garage was a loverly woman.i got my petrol from there for a morris 8 van i had.at the time. i filled the tank for a quid.

Not strictly Aston Road North but two pics of the corner of Hubert Street and Aston Road. I know which one I prefer to look at.

Attachments

• 119 aston road.jpg
    119 aston road.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • Hubert st and aston rd corner of.jpg
    Hubert st and aston rd corner of.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 64
Some present day hair fashions - male and female - are more extreme than a pudding basin cut. So short as to be called soup bowl style. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The building appears in the record of PO Buildings as Aston Manor, but with little information except being dated as 1890. Newspapers say that Holland Road was a sorting office until 1937 when it became inadequate for dealing with the District work, and a new office was built in Cheston St, the Holland St building remaining as a PO.

War Memorials online shows a memorial for Aston Manor PO, at St Stephens Street. could this have been taken from Holland Street? The site says on original site, but St Stephens is quite new.

2E9F419A-FA0D-4758-9145-7DE475C0398F.jpeg

Lyn's incredible pictures and Pedrocut's post #89 have inspired me to see what buildings remain in this area. As a child growing up in Parliament Street I spent many hours aged 5 or 6 playing 'tracking' in the streets either side of Aston Road North (the streets seemed safer in those days for young children).

At the 'town end' of Aston Road North houses have survived in Aston Brook Street East and Hubert Street although these are barely recognisable with front doors converted to windows and presumably are now apartments with access and parking to the rear. How did they ever survive the destruction and obliteration of the 60s ?

As mentioned in other posts, few other buildings have survived, I have marked these on a map and attached images. What a sad end to this once 'buzzing' area.
Thanks for the picture of the Golden Cross, sixty yars ago early 1959, I met the present Mrs Davis at a jazz club upstairs

Bob

Back