• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Rd

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
I've discoverd this picture of Aston Rd just past Digby Street and facing The Genearal Wolfe pub, could someone determine where in the row of houses on the left number 242 Aston Rd was?:emmersed:
GostaGreenAstonSt1937.jpg

Brumgum, depending on the fact that if the corner shop is either in Digby Street or Aston Rd, then it is the sixth or seventh house down.

Phil
There seem to be no shops before no 9 digby St, so I think it is reasonable to assume that the corner shop is listed as Aston Road

Is it possible to determine who was living at 242 from about 1930, interest in the names Vickers and Sheldon, also Were they're any Sheldon's in the same terrace?,
Thank's:loyal:

Thomas Vickers is listed on the electoral roll 1920 & 1922.
Thomas & Blanche Gertrude Vickers are there up to 1935, but have gone by 1939.
There is no Sheldon listed in houses nos 239-247

Thomas Vickers is listed on the electoral roll 1920 & 1922.
Thomas & Blanche Gertrude Vickers are there up to 1935, but have gone by 1939.
There is no Sheldon listed in houses nos 239-247
Thank's Mike, appreciated.

Hi Mike
When you have time could you post a map to pinpoint 1 back 61 Aston Road please.

Thank you
Louisa

Louisa
I am fairly sure that no 1 back 61 Aston road was the building in blue

map_c_1913A_showing_back_61_aston_road.jpg

Thanks Mike, I was stuck on how I could find the address location . Its very interesting to see the industry / factories nearby on the map too.

I can see the Towing path on the map too, so is Love Lane very far from Aston Road?
I would be interested in the location of 36 Love lane, 34 Love Lane court 5 and 1 Love lane court 5.
Thank you so much
Louisa

Please forgive my ignorance, but the thread is "Aston Road", You're all talking about "Aston Rd" but the picture is of Aston Street. I'm confused!.

Mike & Louisa

Love Lane used to run from Dartmouth Street to the junction of Aston Rd and Holt St, the lane I believe is still there or part of it at least. The General Wolf stood on the junction of Aston Rd & Love Lane.

Attachments

• Love Lane.JPG
    Love Lane.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 18
  • General Wolfe 23 Aston Road-Love Lane  - 1967.[1].JPG
    General Wolfe 23 Aston Road-Love Lane - 1967.[1].JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Mike, Lyn & Phil for the information and photographs about Aston Road and Love Lane.

Lyn thanks for the link to the Love lane thread, I have some photographs of the canal around that area but knew little about where the actual street was.

Mike & Phil it will be very useful for my family history research to be able to pinpoint the actual address where my ancestors lived, so thank you both again for your help.

Louisa

I have only so far looked at directories and maps. I will have a look at the censuses later today today if i can sort it out further. Could perhaps a moderator move these posts to the love lane thread to make it less confusing

Back