• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Hall Road School

ASTONITE

master brummie
Has Anyone Any Photographs Of This School? I Attended From 1948 Until 1954, I Think It Has Long Been Demolished

Aston Hall road school.

:confused2: Hi. Did they rename it Vicarage road and then Manor Park girls school?. I have photo's of Manor Park school.. Bye. Jean. :confused2:

No, My Sister Went To Manor Park, It Was Up Vicarage Road Way,
Aston Hall Road School Was On The Way To The Serpentine Ground, Not Far From Electric Avenue, Down Which I Regularly Walked On My Way To My Next School Deykin Avenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that but not much younger only about 5yrs I remember a lot of the older ones

Hi Astonite

I'm afraid that the school was demolished in 1972 but a few photos were taken just before by the Council and are in the Central Library in Birmingham.

I've attached one taken from the playground and a photo of the present site taken from the road - it's not a very nice area now!

BTW - I was there from 1959-1964

Cheers

Aston hall Road school, Aston, I was a pupil there 1943 until 1944 when I reached the age of 14 and left school , I remember one old teacher by the name of "daddy" Weaver
cookie273uk

Astonite I attended Aston Hall Rd School in 1943'44,definitely a different school to Vicarage Rd which my sisters attended (I think it was girls only plus infants)

He's the one at the back on the right,good looking lad,he still don't look to bad.
If you go to my profile photo's.he's on there teaching a lady to waltz,about 2 years ago.

I attended from 1960-65 I lived opposite and my mother was a dinner lady
chocholate concrete and all

does anyone remember Miss Latimar a teacher at Aston Hall road school in the fifties she lived in Tame road pushed her dog around in a pram and a devoted Danny Kaye fan
robb128

I went there 1967 - 1972 when it closed down. I'd love to see some old photos of my old school. My Class was the last to leave there and head for secondary school. It remained standing empty for a short while before they finally knocked it down in very late 1972 or early 1973.

Since my initial post, I've managed to obtain several photos, Ill see if I can dig them out, although I'm finding it more and more difficult as I am so dis-organised.

Looking forward to that Astonite as I can now just about remember it. Pete can't remember it at all. Posti's link won't open. Eric I attended Vicarage road school but the name had been changed to Manor Park Girls School. Jean.

Great pics. Thanks Astonite. The old place looks a lot like I remember it in those pics. :)

Hi - my husband went to this school 1948 - 1953 Barry Reeves of Lichfield Road by Sibleys chip shop near Aston Station

Brought back some memories for me Astonite. I was a Yew Tree boy, but I was in the Aston cub scouts who met at the school on Monday evenings in the 50's and like you had to walk the length of Electric Ave from our house in Deykin.

Dib Dib Dib !

I attended from 1960-65 I lived opposite and my mother was a dinner lady
chocholate concrete and all
I was there 1966-69. Lived over the road in Waterworks Street. Did you know Ivor McGuiness? Lived next door to me and had younger sister Rosie? Would have been there when you were I think. Shame all the photos have gone.

Hi my name was Ruth Turner, I lived at 41 Waterworks Street until Sept 1964 then moved to King's Heath. I was at Aston Hall Road School until I was 9 years old. My Twin brother and sister Malcolm and Lesley also attended until they were 6 years. Please can you put the photos back on if possible I would love to see them.

Hi my name was Ruth Turner, I lived at 41 Waterworks Street until Sept 1964 then moved to King's Heath. I was at Aston Hall Road School until I was 9 years old. My Twin brother and sister Malcolm and Lesley also attended until they were 6 years. Please can you put the photos back on if possible I would love to see them.
My Mom Audrey Turner was the Lollipop lady on the crossings

View attachment 61769View attachment 61768View attachment 61767View attachment 61766View attachment 61765Picture 1-view from top of flats in pic5(Phyllis Nicklin)Aston hall road school on right, pic2Sutherland st opp school pic 3Waterworks st with school on right pic4school from Priory rd pic5 Aston hall rd with flats in background, some of these have been shown previously
It would be great if someone could put them on again. I would have loved to see them. I lived in the corner shop in waterworks street and went to Aston Hall Rd school just over the road.

Back