• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Fire Station - Ettington Road

Two

master brummie
Aston Fire Station - Ettington Road - c1922
This date is more likely to be 1924.
The foundation stone was laid 26 June 1923.
The official opening was 19 November 1924.
The Station would have only just opened after moving from Chester Street, Aston.
Aston Fire Station - c1922...JPG

Attachments

• Aston Fire Station - c1922.jpg
    Aston Fire Station - c1922.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 42
That's a great photo. Here is a pic of what Ettington Road Fire Station looks like now. I remember the buses being diverted down
Ettington Road in the early 1960's when Six Ways Aston was being developed. It was a very nice road back then. Glad the fire station is still there.Ettington Road Fire Station,Aston.jpg

Here is abit ofinformation of chiefe fire officier ofbirmingham whom was awarded forhis bravery in the birmingham raids ;
MR R W MOSEDALE STATION OFFCIER AND RESCUE OFFICIER OF BIRMINGHAM FIRE SERVICE; DARED LONDON GAZZETTE 28/3 /1941 [ GEORGE CROSS ]
And a letter sent to him mr Mosedale ;
dear mr mosedale
Will you please except enclosed as a gift of personal thanks for your kindness shown to me on the night of december the 11th 1940
For which i shall never forget,
I think you were simply fine and worked so hard for the release to safety of us all,
yours sincerely J Allwood [ miss ] from [ no 3 Grantham rd ]

I lived in one of the flats at the Aston Fire Station, from 1974 till 1977. My ex husband was a fireman there Merv Wright, Have some good memories..

Thanks for the wonderful photo's Two and Jennyanne. Pete used to play football in their yard as a young lad. The firemen were always very friendly.

My father (David Rice) was a fireman in the 1960's before being injured at a job attempting to rescue a lady from an attic window during a house fire. For many years he took me and my brother to Aston, Central and later Sutton Coldfield stations. Central went a few years ago I believe and sad to learn that Aston may soon follow. Great old buildings and great adventure playgrounds for me and my brother as kids.

Steve R

I Logged into the birmingham evening news paper most days at the end of the day and i read that the old ward end ex service club was burning down again
and it took egines from erdington and tw othere station to attend they said the thick smoke was all over the motor way of the m 6
i was to beleive this building at one time of the ex service club was demolished it had been sold off
was it the club section or the detached house that went with it can anybody confirnm this as to what part it was apparently they corndend off some surrounding street as well owing to the extent of the fire alan;;Astonian;;

Will have to look into this one Alen as I have not heard about it. Hope you are keeping well. Jean and Pete.

hi jean
nice to hear from you both yes as read further into it it said outer building to the club meaning that meant it would have been the ajoining building
and where the stores are kept and there was gas connectios in there thats where they kept the barralls that was all under one ajoining roof
but i was told along time ago it had been sold off and in bits by demolitioni know the building very well cos i ran it many years ago and lved in the house quartes
as i ran it astonian;;Alan;;

Do you remember the lads who used to play football in the yard there Alan?. Pete was one of them.

HI jEAN;
Yes i do recall the lads playing foot ball n the yard but at this precise moment i could not tel you names this minute ;
but i can tell you alot of names of the committee and loads of members whom was members of the one time great club
it was the best and biggest ex social club in the midlands in its hey day ;
it was a pity to see it go down the drain slowly over the years ;
and it preached the best bowling green within the clubs and top championships played as well
a long time ago i drove past it this was after it was sold and there was piles of rubbish dumped in the car park front
i was told the share holders got payed but how much i never knew ;
with the right committee behind it it could have survied and with new secretary and chairman; in postion
but saying that only afew number of members whom knew what was going on; but they was weak i felt sorry for the long term old age people
whom made the club what it was i dare say alot of the committe have all died and passed away it was truly sad what as happenend to that club
give my regards to pete best wishes Alan ;; Astonian;; ;;

Hi Alan Pete can't remember the club as he was only a kid kicking a ball. He said they used to play volley ball against the firemen. They always treated the local lads very well as while they were there they weren't causing anyone else problems. There were the Smith lads the Jeans boys and the Martins. Best wishes Alan. From Pete.

Back