• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Cross

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.

The clock has been relocated from where it originally stood in the earlier picture.

The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.

The clock has been moved around 100 yards from it's original position.

The clock has been moved around 100 yards from it's original position.

Can you please tell me the names of the roads either side of the clock. Is this near the Gosta Green? Georgie

Ian, would you know the approx year of the lst photo as my grandad had the shop which is to the right of the clock during the 1870/80's.

Georgie

The two roads on either side are Park Rd & Lichfield Rd, I would say it is a least a good mile in distance from Gosta Green. You can see how far on this map that I am including with this post. Gosta Green is at the point I have marked A and Aston Cross is at point B

Phil

AstonRdNorth.jpg

Even though I knew that area well in the forties and fifties I have been finding it difficult to find on GE now...no wonder. Pretty much a complete loss of habitat on the left side but the stores on the right seem to be hanging in. The sepia and black and white photo's seem to make that area dreerier than it was in actual life as I seem to remember and Ansells must have come and gone in between. There was always a complex aroma around there I think...a mixture of beer and sauce...or maybe that was elsewhare. It's funny, just looking at the old photo's brings back the aroma memory...it must have been there. Anyway well done.

Jean

Where exactly was Caroline St at Aston Cross, as I can't find it on my 50's map. I can do you one in West Brom or Birmingham 3, but no Caroline St at Birmingham 6. There again I'm not an Aston Lad.

Phil

Phil my friend Jackie lived there and it was off Lichfield road. It was only a tiny street with factories in. I stayed there round about 1960. I will ask Dek Carr as I am sure he could be more accurate. Jean.

Phil I am sorry that is what I meant to put but I was reading Carolina's post at the same time. What a dope?. Jean.

Jean

Well its still there but I think you might find it has changed just a little.

Phil

catherinest.jpg

Thanks Phil we must have passed it several times coming from Wing Yip and as you say I wouldn't have recognised it. Jean.

Smashing photos Ian, i dont know if it has been on the forum before but prior to it being called Aston Cross it was called Catchems End. Max

Thanks for answering some of the queries Phil. All of the postcards hail from between 1900 - 1930 - lots more to come from various places - this is the first of a ' new section' on the forum.

On the note of the ' smells' - the old HP Sauce factory has been long demolished, but there are works starting on a large complex for East End foods, to be built on the site. The earthworks are in progress at the moment and I have it from a contractor I know ( who is involved in the project ) that the planned opening is for June 2011 .

great thread to start ian...:) how areas have changed beyond all recogniton:( keep em coming..brilliant pics....

lyn

Jean

Well its still there but I think you might find it has changed just a little.

Phil
Wow i don,t recognise it at all from how it used to be,i had a few mates/school chums lived down there,it was a cul de sac,first time i saw that phrase,and found out what it mean,t.
One particular pal moved from there,to Balsall Heath,and the house didn,t seem to be much better,or modern,somewhere off the end of Ladypool Rd,by Balsall Heath park.
Happy days and memories though.

I remember some of the Ansells draymen parking in Wainwright st, it was a wonder they could cross the road safely after finishing their days work. How times, and the introduction of the breathalyser, have changed.

Ansells's Beer and HP Sauce make hell of a stink at Aston Croooss. My mum used to say that, everytime we stood waiting for the no. 8.

I think I have put this Eric Bottomly painting of Aston Cross on another thread but it sums up Aston Cross of the 5os perfectly to me when I lived there. I have a framed print of this in my living room. Eric

Brenda I remember a very noisy stamping company there and when I stayed with my friend you couldn't get to sleep. They said they had learned to live with the noise. I would love to see a photo of it back there. Jean.

Phil, l think it was Catherine st, and l'm sure Buttons were there to...Brenda

I used to help my Aunty Rene who lived in Park Rd with outwork carding buttons ( i only sorted out the colours ) LOL . Max

Max, a nieghbour in Copely st worked at buttons and brought home the rejects, and l would spend hours sorting the buttons into colour groups and sizes etc, then string them into sets of 4,6,etc...and they always came to be useful with so many mothers knitting and sewing ..lt did,nt take much in those days to keep us happy....Brenda

Back