• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Cakes

dirtyden

Black Country Boy
I recall stepping off the No 33, 51 or 52 bus at Six-Ways Aston right outside the bakers shop, Wimbush's I think it was. I'd regularly buy a Cream Horn or a Coconut slice. Best of all was the Aston Cake ! Hands up all those who remember it ! A bit like a Victoria sponge but more moist and darker, with coconut and four Jammy/red spots on the top.

about 1/6d each

Luvverly
:p

:D Hi Den, that cream & jam you so liked may have been put on to those cakes by my own fair hands. As one of my first jobs, was working in the 'Creamroom' at Wimbush's in Green Lane small Heath. One of the best places I have ever worked at, everyone was so friendly. :wink:

when i first left school my mom got me a job at Wimbushes.
the first day i was introduced to the foreman who asked me which were my favourite cakes.
"cup cakes" :D i replied. right he said, thats where you will work.
he took me to the cup cake line and told me i could eat as many as i liked.
i did as i was told and after 2 days i was so sick of eating them that i never touched another one to this day. :oops: :cry:

Back