• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Burial

B

bristolloggerheads

Forgive my basic question but which is the most likely cemetery that a family living in Aston sometime between 1801 and 1826 would have been buried in?

The first cemetery to be built in Birmingham was Key Hill Cemetery olso known as The General Cemetery in 1835. So you are looking for a graveyard attached to a church which will be difficult as there were so many.

Church Graveyard

I have a christening in St. Martins in 1822 - I guess I should start there. I presume Birmingham Archives would have their burial records?

Yes St Martins would be likely my 3x gt grandfather Martin Zipfell is buried there. Let me have the details (private if you don't want to post) I will see if I can find anything for you.

I have William Taylor (b Broseley 1796) and Mary ? (b Bristol 1787) christening William and Mary together at St Martins in 1822. William jnr was born in Birmingham in 1816 and Mary in 1818. William's father was Thomas Taylor (b Broseley 1758) and all were tobacco pipemakers. His last child was baptised in Broseley in December 1800 so I assume Thomas, wife Jane and the 9 children still alive then all moved together to Birmingham. Address in 1822 was Allison Street.

Peter

I have had a look at the burials for St Martins but its a little like searching for a needle in a haystak with a common name like Taylor. If you can find an exact death date that may be easier to look for but its very difficult to find a burial place that early.

I would have thought it would be Aston Parish Church, opp The Villa grounds. I know it has a graveyard and many gravestones are quite old, I remember playing in there as a child and looking at the ages on the head stones. Then I guess logically Witton Cemetary, but I dont know how far that dates back to!

Its never simple to find a burial place it is likely it would have been St Peter's and St Paul's although there were other churchyards in Aston used for burials. Also it would depend on the persons religion. Witton Cemetery opened in 1863.

I have mentioned the National Burial Index before, it is on a series of discs, likely to be held by local record offices. Here is a useful link showing the churches covered. Remember the earlier the burial the fewer churches there were, and Aston was not part of Birmingham but a separate district.

https://www.ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/war2.php

Just been having a look at this post as I found a burial in a Burial Ground not far from Allison St (only recorded in a letter) map 1855 posted shows burial ground at bottom of Fazeley St ...in between Allcock St and Liverpool St.... by 1866 it had gone and their was a Chemical and Metal Works on the site

Cromwell, this was Deritend burial ground it opened in 1791, apparently there were 46 burials there, 37 were before 1805. The registers were formally kept at St John's church Deritend so I would assume they are now in the library. The graveyard was closed in 1855 and the land was sold in 1880. For a time the land was used for grazing and was later developed. In 1948 bones were discovered under the floor of the factory when holes were being sunk to provide concrete beds for machinery.

Thanks for that Wendy, There was a church just by the burial ground in Heath Mill Lane in between Allcock St and Liverpool St.
And another church nearly opposite on the corner of Floodgate St and Fazeley St then St Gabriel's a few yard down seemed like a great area for worship and burial
The Plaque burial pits were over by St Johns at Byrche hill

I came across this interesting article in an 1890's old periodical which I found interesting which tells what happened to the many old graveyards of Birmingham:-

There are many less pleasant places on a nice summer's day, in the neighbourhood of Birmingham, than the Borough Cemetery at Witton. It is rather a gruesome subject to touch upon, but it is none the less a fact, that previous to 1859, when the Witton Cemetery was acquired by the Corporation, the way in which the dead were disposed of in some of our burial grounds, was little short of a scandal. Owing to their over-crowded state, St. Martin's, St Bartholomew's, St. Paul's, and St Mary's Churchyards had all been closed by an Order in Council, made in the previous year, and the only God's Acre left for the borough was at Key Hill and Warstone Lane. By the same order which closed the parish churchyards, the Town Council was constituted a Burial Board, and it was under the powers thus conferred upon them that they bought the land at Witton in 1859. The borough cemetery is 105 acres in extent, and cost £150 per acre. The cemetery is divided into four parts, separate ground being provided for Church of England, Nonconformist, Roman Catholic, and Jewish interments. The total cost of the under-taking, including the laying out of the ground and the building of the chapels, etc, was £46,397. The Jewish portion was sold outright to the community—two acres at £250 an acre, and the ancient people have a separate entrance to the grounds, and themselves defray the whole of the expense of their burial ceremonials. The cemetery contains many remains besides those of people who have died since it’s opening. Corporation and railway improvements have swept away the "Scott's Trust" (Congregational) burial place in Summer Lane, the Cannon Street Baptist Chapel and burying ground, and the Old Meeting House and Cemetery. Seventy-two coffins were taken from the first of these, 142 from the second, and 1,503 from the third, and re-interred in Witton. The ground in which the coffins from the Old Meeting have been deposited is fenced in with chain and granite posts, a handsome obelisk being erected, with an inscription stating the cause of removal; all the cost, £3,639, being defrayed by the Railway Companies, who acquired the old site for the extended New Street Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a very interesting piece of information on the burial grounds Graham thanks for posting it.

Excellent piece of history Cromwell, you sure are a font of knowledge. Were / are you a teacher by any chance? if not why not?:rolleyes:
My Granddad is buried in Witton somewhere in a paupers grave thanks to the wicked step granny........... he was dead and buried and his house cleared lock,stock and barrel 3 weeks before she saw fit to tell the family.

Back