• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Astle Family 4/142 Guildford St,Lozells.

Gwynfor

knowlegable brummie
I am looking for any information on the bombing of my families house on 1st Nov 1940 where 8 of my family were killed, Mother,6 children & their Grandmother all lost their lives.
If anyone has photo's or stories about this tragedy I would love to here from you,I would like to know if the family were buried together and if so where would they be laid to rest.

Regards Gwynfor

hi gwynfor such a tragedy to lose so many of one family including 6 young children..my mom was a 10 year old living in paddington st just off guildford st and she has told me how well she remembers the awful bombings of the area..ive just had a look on the BARRA site and i see that the youngest child was 2 year old maureen...i have not got any photos of the actual bombings but i have posted a lot of pics of guildford st on the guildford st thread...can only take a guess at where the astle family are buried and that would be at witton cemetary..my advise would be to give them a call giving the family details and they will happily look in their records for you...just one last thing all their names should be on the large memorial stone to commemorate the civilians who lost their lives during ww2...i have 2 family members on it...its located in the bull ring just past the outdoor markets...do hope this is of some help to you..

just had another look on the BARRA site gwynfor and if you click on any of the names of your family up will come a detailed police report of the bombings in guildford st...seems that all the back to back house of numbers 140 to 144 were completely destroyed...many were trapped in the cellars below and then fire broke out above...there is more to read so if you just google BIRMINGHAM AIR RAIDS REMEMBERANCE ASSOCIATION the site will come up for you..

lyn

Last edited:
Back