• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artiss Howard

Mike Fisher

Billesley Boy
Hi All

In the 1911 census I have Howard and Jessie Mary Artiss with their two young sons Norman and Frank Dunlop in Hampton Court Rd Harborne. I can find no record of Howard, Jessie after this date.
Norman marries in Portland USA in 1912 and Frank Dunlop Artiss dies in Canada in 1974.
In Ancestry there are 4 entries for Howard Artiss ,3 Atlantic port passenger lists and 1 Canadian passenger lists but I only have a .co.uk subscription. Also Norman Artiss in border crossings Canada to USA

Re: Howard Artiss

Mike

I have world access so will have a look for you.

Suzanne

Howard Artiss - Canadian recordGender:MaleAge:36Estimated birth year:abt 1876Date of Arrival:17 Feb 1912Vessel:HesperianSearch Ship Database:Port of Arrival:Halifax, Nova ScotiaPort of Departure:Liverpool, EnglandRoll:T-4741
Under 'What was you occupation in country from which you came' is Traveller
Under 'What is your intended occupation in Canada' is Farm Labourer
Howard Artiss aged 36, Married
Have you ever been in Canada before? - No
Do you intend to permanently reside in Canada - Yes
Destination: Wpeg, Man
States that he has previously worked as a Gardener
Denomination: C of E

Jessie M Artiss aged 42, Norman Artiss aged 11 & Frank D Artiss aged 9 - Atlantic Ports Passenger List
Jessie M Artess
Last permanent residence: London Shepherd's bush (home of sister Mrs Warderson?)
Married, Housewife
final destination, city or town: (looks like June?)
Arrival Date:23 Dec 1912Age:42 YearsEstimated birth year:abt 1870Gender:FemaleEthnic Background:EnglishPort of Departure:Southampton, EnglandShip Name:AscaniaPort of ArrivalPortland, MaineFriend's Name:Howard ArtissLast Residence:EnglandMicrofilm Roll Number:17

Border crossings from canada to us
Norman ArtissArrival Date:Feb 1924Age:21 years 3 monthsBirth Date:abt 1902Birth Country:EnglandGender:MaleRace/Nationality:English Port of Arrival:Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Frank Artiss is also on this listing travelling with Norman.
Norman aged 21 years 3 months
Frank aged 20 years 9 months - both single
Occupation for both is Auto Mech
Nationality is Canadian Race is English
Father: Howard
Address 276 Harcourt, Sturgeon Creek, Man
Final destination: Mich, Detroit (obviously off to work in the car industry?)

Thanks thats great
So that's why they are not in the Birmingham electoral rolls or directories and the GRO deaths

Back