• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Articles: The Iron Room, Birmingham Libraries. Recent Articles

Birmingham calling, Birmingham calling children everywhere….

Some pictures taken by Sir John Stone in Egypt…

I remember going to see the exhibit in New York sometime in the mid 80's. It was in creditable! It was like going to a rock concert, people were lined up to see it. Very well worth it!

Britain has a well-deserved place in the history of scientific innovation and one such area was the field of chemistry which flourished in the 18th and 19th centuries. Birmingham played a prominent role in many of these discoveries, with members of the Lunar Society responsible for a significant amount of innovation.

This may not be the owner mentioned on the book, but in January 1917…
A William Henry Holden of the Crown Toy Co. at 89 Brearley Street was summoned for employing a child underage. The child was 11 years old and employed using a power drill. Maximum penalty of £3 with special costs.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place: I am looking for information on William James, canal builder and associated with the Stratford (on Avon canal) amongst other things. Supposedly he is one of the ”lost voices” of the Industrial Revolution. I really cannot access the Iron Room although I understand there is discussion about him therein.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is a book…

There is a book…

Thank you Pedro, great information and read! They have the book on Amazon US, it’s currently not available but will be shortly. I am very surprised that his contributions are never talked about anywhere. I consider myself somewhat a student of the Industrial Revolution and had never heard of him until yesterday when my wife and I were watching a BBC show on canals!
Thank you again!

So disappointing that the race did not continue. In Nashville they started similar racing about 4 years ago and is going very strong. Not really considered a GP although very close with Indy car and GP teams and drivers participating.

Back