• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army Discharge Papers 1850

N

Nephrititi

I have today received copy discharge papers for an ancestor of mine who joined the Army in 1845 and was later discharged in March 1850 aged 21 on medical grounds.

Unfortunately he died 3 months later of Consumption.

Although the papers are large (printed on A3 I think) I cannot quite make out the writing.

It would appear that during his time in the Army he was sentenced for a felony and was imprisoned and later faced a court martial for ?? and was imprisoned again.

Does anyone know where I could take these papers (in Birmingham) to get someone who is familiar with the terminology to translate so I can understand.

Fay

Hi Fay

Sorry I do not have the answer to your question, but may I ask you 2

Did you order them from Glasgow?
How long did they take?

Regards

Derek

Sheronb

I'm already a member of rootschat and someone on there very kindly pointed me in the right direction as to where to search for army discharge papers, so i'll try asking again to see if anyone call help me.

Derek I got the papers from The National Archives in Kew. I did a search in the appropriate section for my ancestor and lo and behold they had his papers.

You can then request an estimate of cost for the documents you want copying. They advise the estimate can take up to 10 working days. They got back to me just before the 10 days and the charge was £3.20 for 8 (A3) pages. I e mailed them back on Sunday to confirm and pay and received the documents 3 days later.

I was so pleased with the service.

Fay

Thanks for your reply Fay,

I went to Kew just 3 months ago and could not get at "our papers" as they tell me they were "protected" :rolleyes: for some reason so have gone round the other route to Galsgow at the cost of £30 but I am sure it will be well worth it as they are, hopefuly, the full service history of his time in service but as they advise it can take 3-6 months.
Waiting with hope.

Derek

Hi,
by the way, the Archives service that Fay mentioned, I have used for other records. It is marvelous! They are very professional, and wont charge you if they cannot find what you are looking for. The more diligant one is in searching for the record location, the more success one will have with the service,

Back