• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Anyone live in Clifton Road

It wasn't the worst by a long shot, it was actually quite nice compared to some places. It was only in the late 50's and 60's that it started to become run down.

Phil

I will second that, when I lived there it was a lovely area.

HI PHIL
I HAVE GOT TO AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT ONE
Clifton rd started down hill and the road always looked as it,s never been swept
And tHAT WAS IN THE FIFTY,S BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;

great pic of clifton road school.I lived nearby with the Warrens in the late 60s early seventies when i managed the kids adventure playground.My memories of those days are on my site under what an extraordinary adventure, at https://www.thegypsypoet.co.uk

i lived at 36 cliffton road in the 60s when they started to pull it all down and went to upper thomas street school.my best mate was roger steven jones,i now live in rugeley where we moved to from aston in 1968.my name is malcolm smith 60 years old.

Hi Tom
I know that it has been a few years since you placed your quote on this site. I do hope you are well. I remember you very well. I was the Leader In Charge of the Life Boys or the Junior Brigade as it was later called. My name was Christine Yates and although I lived in Erdington, my dad Arthur Yates had a butchers shop in Clifton Road next to the coal yard. I was engaged and later married David Skellum also an officer in the Boys Brigade who lived in Tower Road and I well remember the band practices and summer camps we went to. Such great fun. It was David who introduced and got me involved in the junior brigade and we had 20+ lads all from the local area. Sadly David and I divorced in 1972 and I moved away from Birmingham although I believe that David happily remarried and lives and works in Sutton Coldfield . I have been married now for 42 years to my husband Norman and have lived in Cheshire for the past 30 of those years. I have a son aged 41 who married last year but we have no grandchildren as yet- still hoping. I will always look back on my days at the mission with much pleasure and the good times we all shared. My very warmest wishes to you and anyone who may remember me as their Leader In Charge! Christine Yates (now Swerling)

We lived in Clifton Road, 114, with my brother David, Mom & Dad Vera & Arthur, from ( 1954 to 1960)
I lived with my grandma til 1960,she lived at 6/164 or 6/168,looking for people she knew, l can recall the Broadbents lived next door,hope someone knew my grandma,many thanks

My Mom is Brenda Johnston and went to Upper Highgate Street School and Clifton Road Primary. She lived in the area - Clifton Road sometimes, Hallum Street. She married Chris Sullivan.

Hi,

If I remember correctly there was a railway bridge over Clifton Road, and when approaching it from
Moseley Road there was a public toilet by the bridge.

After going swimming with the school at Moseley Road baths we all used to decamp to these toilets
for a crafty fag to avoid the teachers. If you were a latecomer, there was that much smoke rising up
it looked like they were on fire.

Kind regards
Dave

i lived at 36 cliffton road in the 60s when they started to pull it all down and went to upper thomas street school.my best mate was roger steven jones,i now live in rugeley where we moved to from aston in 1968.my name is malcolm smith 60 years old.
My name is dan wills i just remember living on Clifton Rd. When i was a kid had a great time we lived in between the two pups i am 60 so would of been around the same time

I lived with my grandma til 1960,she lived at 6/164 or 6/168,looking for people she knew, l can recall the Broadbents lived next door,hope someone knew my grandma,many thanks

Hi Susan, were the Broadbent's by any Chance, Tom and Floss (Florence), they had a daughter Diane? My dad, Terry Jukes lived in Acacia Terrace.

Regards Carl Jukes

Hi Malcolm i was born and bred at 32 Clifton Road and i am nearly 69 years old i think you had a brother , i must have played with you and your brother when we were kids my brother Barrie who has passed away were around your age , they were good days until the Expressway came through and wrecked everything Raz X

Hi Malcolm i was born and bred at 32 Clifton Road and i am nearly 69 years old i think you had a brother , i must have played with you and your brother when we were kids my brother Barrie who has passed away were around your age , they were good days until the Expressway came through and wrecked everything Raz X

You may interested that on visiting my family graves over Christmas at Witton cemetery, I left as I always do, flowers on the Baglins grave. Lily B was my time at UTS ( I left in1947) and two Baglin men are remembered ( France1914 . Normandy 1945) on the headstone. Its my personal Remembrance to this Clifton Road coal merchant family and other such men.

Hi Susan, were the Broadbent's by any Chance, Tom and Floss (Florence), they had a daughter Diane? My dad, Terry Jukes lived in Acacia Terrace.

Regards Carl Jukes
Hello Carl I hope you are well. My Dad Dennis Jukes he is 90 this year he lived at 7 Acacia Terrace with Sarah and Willie we are reserching the family history and would love to hear from you. Sally is helping us too.

Back