• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anybody Remember Classics Illustrated?

Blacksmith

master brummie
If there was one thing that got me interested in books, it was that great series of comics when I was growing up, called Classics Illustrated. I hesitate to call them comics in a way, because, although their format was definitely in the comic style of picture and bubble writing, their content was a fantastic introduction to the world of classic books.

I read many classics in this way before I read them in later years as hardback novels and it opened up a whole new world for me. As you can see, from the accomanying picture of one of my favourites, they cost 1s 3d at the time, which was terrific value.

View attachment 49709

I was really excited when I found a company had started to re-release the series and that I could get them from Amazon. OK, they now cost £3.25 and not 1s 3d, but I think I may indulge myself in a few of them. I hope I'm not disappointed and that they are as good as I remember them to be. Will I still like them as an adult? Will my grandchildren enjoy them when they are old enough?

I don't think my nostalgic memories are playing tricks on me. I reckon they'll still be good.

Do any of you remember the series, and did you have any favourites?

No Blacksmith wish I had and had kept them. They would be worth a packet now. Mind you being the softy I am I would not have sold them. Jean.

Wikipedia states that the first issue was in 1941 (The Three Musketeers) and publication of new titles ceased in 1962, although you could but them long after that.

Yes, Jean, I wish I had kept all my copies, but I'm afraid they would not be worth much because they weren't in mint condition as they had been very well read. I used to return to them time and time again. Just imagine how many young boys today could say they had read Silas Marner. OK, I've still not read the full book, but the Classics Illustrated was the next best thing.

Thanks, Alf. I can remember a lot of those covers. The link on that page takes you to a complete list of titles, including the Classics Illustrated Junior titles. I'd forgotten about them.

Wikipedia states that the first issue was in 1941 (The Three Musketeers) and publication of new titles ceased in 1962, although you could but them long after that.

Yes, Jean, I wish I had kept all my copies, but I'm afraid they would not be worth much because they weren't in mint condition as they had been very well read. I used to return to them time and time again. Just imagine how many young boys today could say they had read Silas Marner. OK, I've still not read the full book, but the Classics Illustrated was the next best thing.

Blacksmith.....maybe they've not read Silas Marner but all of them have read up i bet on his almost perfect anagram "Smiler Arnie" (Arnold "I'll be back-The Terminator" Schwarzennger)

I do not remember this comic . I did discover junk shops and old book shops. I think they have more up market names and rip off prices now. But for 6d or a bob you could get hardback editions of classics . For 3d you could buy a novel no one had ever heard of written in the 20s or 30s. The quaint style of writing made me a fan of pre war fiction for many years. My comic was The Hotspur. Very few pictures and full stories about brave men of anglo-saxon stock besting the natives, in places like Afghanistan or up the Limpopo, armed only with a cricket bat and a Weobley pistol . Once the natives got hold of Kalashnikov rifles , armour piecing grenades and independance The Hotspur stopped printing. Very none-pc.

Arkrite - were you a G.A. Henty fan too by any chance??? I grew-up reading Victorian and Edwardian literature too. I don't think our family had any money to spare for book-buying after about 1920.....thankfully my great grand parents left a lot of gently mouldering books for me to plough through. As you say, there is something deeply satisfying in the quaint, and archaic language/syntax of such novels. I loved the 'Hotspur' too (I still dream of owning a Webley .445 revolver!)

Back