• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Any photo's of your teachers?.

View attachment 49651This is a photo of the last day of my old primary school 1969,long after i left,Mr Adams was head from 40s as far as i know,he is second man on the right,

It's probably me, but it looks earlier than 69. I thought it was more like 59 or earlier Liz? Smashing photo anyway, but did not recognise anyone.
Lynda

Hello Lynda it was 69 the day the school closed,long after i left as i said and yes i knew some of the children on the photograph,i knew their families and used to babysit a couple of them on there in the 60s,did you go to Rea Street
oh sorry you said you didn't recognise anybody,so you did go there sorry,what years were you there

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a photo in 2007 of Aldridge Rd school's trip to London Zoo in 1947. It shows two teachers - Mr Caudwell firm but mild mannered, and Mr Edge, loud and a heavy user of the cane and eventually to be headmaster of Perry Beeches school, and comments about other aspects of him are mentioned in the Perry Beeches school thread ... I haven't reposted the photo because it's already on the forum here... https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9233
Also in the thread are many other photos of school groups with teachers in them.

Great photo Elizabeth and Dek I DON'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO THAT TO PHOTO'S OF YOUR LOVELY TEACHERS?. This is a photo with Mrs Lowe on [the tall lady in the middle] the day I left Manor Park. She was head of PE. Am still looking for photo's of Mr Liggins and Mr.Smith. Jean.

Any photos of your teachers?

This is part of a photo taken in 1958.

Mr_Barlow.JPG
Morris_Dancing_Group__1958_28b29.JPG

View attachment 49657

It shows the best teacher in the world, Mr Barlow of Bordesley Green Junior School. In the closeup he's sitting and in the large photo he's proudly standing beside his English folk dancing group. He was undoubtedly the person in my life (sorry, Dad .... and Mum) who influenced me far more than anyone else and I will be forever grateful for his presence, dedication, patience and direction. db84124

Last edited:
I have posted this before on other threads.
The photo was taken at St. Mary's C of E Aston around 1953 - 54. The Headmaster Mr Tunnicliffe is on the left and the delicious Miss Price on the right.
Now here's a little test for you boys and girls - can you remember which one is me? No peeking now!!

Dave I can't remember which one is yourself but do remember the photo before. I still can't find the one I have been looking for. I hope Pete hasn't deleted it. Jean.

Great photo Elizabeth and Dek I DON'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO THAT TO PHOTO'S OF YOUR LOVELY TEACHERS?. This is a photo with Mrs Lowe on [the tall lady in the middle] the day I left Manor Park. She was head of PE. Am still looking for photo's of Mr Liggins and Mr.Smith. Jean.

Cleaned your photo up a little. Couldn't do much for the faces.

Last edited:
Morning Frothy and thanks for that ten times better. Still can't find the other two photo's and I know I have saved them. Jean.

David sorry I did not answer your post but I have the same memories of Mr Liggins and someone from the Yew Tree reunion posted two photo's of him for me and I can not find them and am sure I did not erase them. Jean.

No one took photos but there were plenty of crayon drawings on the walls of the boys toilets. Not of any artistic merit, they all resembled potatoe men, it was the attendant message which identified the teacher concerned.
Cleaning them off the wall was a " volunteer" job. It usually got you off a bracing crosscountry/road run. If you did a good job some teachers would give you a pat on the back and disregard the blue haze of cigarette smoke. The boys toilets seemed to be the social center of the school, someone always popping in for a fag and a chat.

Mine from 1956. KEGS Camp Hill's finest. The bloke with the sticky out ears 2nd left was my hero. W.W.Drysdale - English Teacher supreme. Like my Neapolitan friend db84124, I echo exactly his sentiments and comments about his Mr Barlow. A True Master of the Universe. My incredible mentor and greatest influence on my life, Bless his cotton socks as Nan would say...

It's very difficult to admit to and come out with, isn't it, Dennis? It brings a lump to my throat ....... but the Truth is the truth.
When I sent in Post #8, I fully realised that I was leaving myself wide open for heavy criticism; I envisaged been hung, drawn and quartered by my fellow Forum members, or at least publicly stoned.
It's comforting to think that I'm not alone in my tough sincerity. David

It's very difficult to admit to and come out with, isn't it, Dennis? It brings a lump to my throat ....... but the Truth is the truth.
When I sent in Post #8, I fully realised that I was leaving myself wide open for heavy criticism; I envisaged been hung, drawn and quartered by my fellow Forum members, or at least publicly stoned.

I think members who got on with their teachers were very lucky and got a good education to go with it.
I didn't nuff said... lol

Frothy, I've read repeatedly on this Forum about members having hated their school days. I think it's incredibly sad that youngsters spent ten years or more of the most delicate part of their lives in little more than - they'd have us believe - concentration camps.
Let us remember that most teachers in the 'fifties and 'sixties had served their country on the battlefield. It's awfully unfortunate that many of them - a handful of those of Bordesley Green Tech. included!! - brought their horrific experiences into the classroom.
I consider myself to have been extremely fortunate in choice of school and allocated teacher. David

Last edited:
I think members who got on with their teachers were very lucky and got a good education to go with it.
I didn't nuff said... lol

Frothy, my comments were drawn from my experiences with ONE teacher only in 13 Years of schooling. He was a one off. Conversely, the Head of School was a sado-masochistic ....... of quite staggering proportions. The older ones (that were too old for Service in the War) couldn't give a toss and the younger ones (usually Welsh - sorry taffs) showed a more than healthy regard for capital punishment I thought. Basically this one guy taught me the power of the English language and the delight of Historical research. Anything after that I taught myself or learned AFTER formal schooling at the University of Life. This Forum is an example of very potent avenues of Education and Information. I have learned more from reading these often abstract and heartwarming posts than ever I did in School. Thank you for YOUR contributions to my continuing education. Your input is good as anyone's in this regard...your blighted (sic) education was not wasted my friend. Keep 'em coming!

Den

Frothy, I've read repeatedly on this Forum about members having hated their school days. I think it's incredibly sad that youngsters spent ten years or more of the most delicate part on their lives in little more than - they'd have us believe - concentration camps.
Let us remember that most teachers in the 'fifties and 'sixties had served their country on the battlefield. It's awfully unfortunate that many of them - a handful of those of Bordesley Green Tech. included!! - brought their horrific experiences into the classroom.
I consider myself to have been extremely fortunate in choice of school and allocated teacher. David

Come to think of it David, I did have a science teacher I quite liked although he was just as mental as the other teachers. He was a pilot and he had a magnetic ring attached to his plane.He had to fly low over the sea to explode magnetic mines. he told us that's how he lost his hair. How true the story was I will never know.

Most of my school days were absolutely brilliant,a few teachers not so good, but in the main give me a chance to go back,
and i would be there

Agreed, but what's the point of denying the truth to yourself Dave? I totally warm to your views.

That said, probably like yourself, I had a fantastic childhood and my mom and dad were nothing but supportive and totally loving to me and our kid, although sadly maybe, not to each other. Divorced when I was 30. However, in those days the levels of parental 'involvement' in children's schooling and development was nothing (literally in my case) like some of todays hyper-committed fanatics, and I'm not sure, looking at the resultant behavioural outcome of modern feral kids, which is preferable? Famine or feast? Nature v nurture? History will decide perhaps or maybe it already has...

Den

I hope these are my photo's and not my brothers?. Fingers crossed. Bottom photo Mr Liggins is on the left and Mr Smith the right. The top photo is Mr Liggins again and a new teacher whose name I cannot remember. The only thing I can remember is she used to wear a long flouncy skirt and run down the stairs from the Heads office and went a pearler one day. Serve her right for putting someone else to represent the school in the hundred yards sprint. Got my own back on sports day and whopped the .... off her. Jean.

Last edited:
The Teaching profession, just like any other , is made up of all types of people. Some are incompetent, others get by while others are Stars in what they do. Expectations in Standards and Enforcement of discipline have changed. Some teachers would nowadays be open to prosecution for abuse. Methinks that certain staff members were a little to free with corporal punishment , perhaps for their own reasons.
I cannot think of one teacher who inspired us as pupils. According to Friends Reunited only one pupil, in my final year, went into teaching though two of my friends became college lecturers to adults by reason of being very good at their job. Quite a number of us have expressed the opinion that our school days were far from perfect and the education was lacking something. I am afraid for some of us that was the way it was.
Had I come across a Mentor how different would my life had been ? My time in Engineering gave me a love of maths and physics. My English Language is still rubbish and I still train ink soaked spiders but they have little to do in the age of word processors and M.S Office . ( They live in the printer and play with the ink cartridge ).
Looking back on my life I probably made more wrong choices than right and they had nothing to do with my education. It all eventually came down to me ...as it does with all of us.

Reading about my friends lives on BHF is a never ending delight. Amazing, Funny, Sad and ..ahem..educational . Whatever school you went too I think you have all handled it pretty well, which after all is what matters.

regards too all ..Arkrite

Hello Arkrite i think i have to agree with you although you put it a lot better than i could,

Back