• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Any Memories Of The Golden Gloves Or The Speak Easy In Highgate?

Yes Northender especialy the golden gloves used to go there regular especialy at week ends sunday included
with my inlaws Whom are Irish and well known in the comunity
and my oldest brother inlaw named frank whom is from dublin and later went back to dublin and still there now
was the van driver and lory driver whom used to pick upp ganger men for work out down by the birmingham air port
they got payed daily they was the first crew to start building the NEC all those years ago
He would pick them up on stratford road from Mcvieacs pub ,and the black horse and the queens victoria all along that stretch
and some would be dropped off at the golden gloves
they was Subbies and they got 25 quid daily and they would buy there beers and a good steak dinners most nights
but some would go dropp off at Alum rock at the gate place called the Jig saw it was the old picture house converted and owned by the same mam whom bought and made the golden gloves he was related to my wifes family
but getting back to the gloves sunday morning and sunday lunch was a different turn out there was the posh ones
dressed in there best clothes and with there wife and kids
the food was good but the beer was a no goer if you have been in there you would recall the very high built bar counters
and you would not no what you was going to get for your pint of beer
it was always poured out of steel buckets it was the same at the jig saw club poured out in buckets

best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Back