• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Any maps showing Lower Tower St.?

printmeister

master brummie
I have an address for my maternal grandparents of 6/91 Lower Tower St. Would anyone have a map that would show that address?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, If you go to mapseeker.co.uk on the right select Historical Atlas of Birmingham from drop down box under search for streets. Then key in Lower Tower Street. You will returned with three plans, 1898, 1893 and 1862. Choose any one - more info - click on Lower Tower Street at the bottom of the page under the image and it will zoom to the segment containing Lower Tower Street. Alternatively click on Genealogy Map Resources from the home page - select the Birmingham Atlas to reveal all the plans to date, (there will be many more soon to be added from the Birmingham Archives collection from 1553 that we have recently converted to full colour as part of a recent book project - Birmingham a History in Maps - ) At this stage only a few streets and places are in the database, however soon 1000,s will be alomg with place searches for all the Birmingham historic plans. Of the plans in the atlas to date you can drill down - and explore
all the best
Paul - mapseeker

Hi, If you go to mapseeker.co.uk on the right select Historical Atlas of Birmingham from drop down box under search for streets. Then key in Lower Tower Street. You will returned with three plans, 1898, 1893 and 1862. ...
Paul - mapseeker

Many thanks Paul... that's a fascinating site.
Actually, I was hoping to find a map containing house numbers... I don't know if such a beast even exists!

Hi, I have never come across a plan showing street numbers, interesting request though. Some plans are more detailed than others, and some even show the name of the house/building owners, (example some of the Scottish town plans from 1840's). I will look into this a little further with reference to Birmingham,
Paul

Can't show you the exact house but the court back of 91 is shown in red on the 1913 map
Mike

Can't show you the exact house but the court back of 91 is shown in red on the 1913 map
Mike
Thanks Mike, I remember my mum saying that she lived in Lower Tower St. after I got a job there in the late 1980's.
I'm not very clued up on how the court numbering system worked, I'm afraid.

PS I notice that you are also researching the Marks surname... any from the Bristol/Hambrook area? (you may have asked me the question a while back!)

No, none to my knowledge from that area. From worcester pre 1840. Have it on hold till i can spend some time at worcester records. Incidently, It might be a bit obliterated by the colouring, but the houses/whatever down the left of the court are white, not shaded. This might mean they weren't proper houses, but areas, so its likely that its the ones at the end or on the right.
Mike

Back