• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Another burial location please.

F

flounder

Hi all,

2 of my ancestors died Sept qtr 1902, aged 4 and 1 year.
In 1901 census they were living at Heathmill Lane, Aston. Am assuming they hadnt moved at that time. (between 1901 and 1911 they moved to Bradford Street, Deritend, Aston)
Anyone got any idea where they wouldve been buried?
Also is it true that after a certain amount of years the grave will no longer exist as yours? ie you own it for say 75 years and if you want to continue you have to pay for more time. If you see what i mean.

Wendy.xxx

hi wendy:)we have found with alot of our relatives who died from the 1890s onwards were buried in common graves as money would of been tight then if you know the dates you could phone the cemetries as some of them will search for who your looking for ,for free as long as its only a couple at a time good luck walshy

Many thanks for your replies. I have asked Yardley to do another search for me and they charge, so will have to ring round a few cemeteries and get some prices and make a start.
Thanks again
Wendy.xxx

i think you do only have the grave for so long.
i buried my mother 15 yeaers ago and was given a certificate that i was the owner for 70 years from that date. that was at temple balsall in warwickshire.

Many thanks, i havent tried Witton yet, for these 2, so thats my next port of call. Hopefully they wont charge much, fingers crossed. Thats if they are still there 107 years laters.

Thanks again.
Wendy.xxx

Many thanks for your replies. I have asked Yardley to do another search for me and they charge, so will have to ring round a few cemeteries and get some prices and make a start.
Thanks again
Wendy.xxx
Hi Wendy we found my mothers little brother. he was in common ground
a lodge hill cemtary. they lived in winson green at the time. as long as you have a bit of info on the relative, hope you are lucky.:)

i have just phoned handsworth church to try and find this james hilton. she is checking key hill warstone and handsworth churches for me.
we live in hope. i think it all depends on which churches were burying at the time.

Hi Wendy sorry I missed your post. I would guess they are probably in a public grave at Witton unless you have a family one. If Handsworth cemetery are doing a search that will discount Handsworth, Key Hill and Warstone Lane cemeteries. The only other suggestion is if you have the time is to look through the indexes at Central Library. This is not too difficult if you have the date of death. The Witton records are the most difficult to read. Don't forget by this time all the church graveyards were closed due to overcrowding. The only time a churchyard burial would have taken place would be in a family plot.

Back