• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anglesey Street School

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. i am looking for pictures of anglesey st school lozells. can anyone oblige please. thanks wales.

took my own pics of the school the other day. hope these may interest some of you. wales.

Hi Wales, I seem to be following you around!! What is your interest in Anglesey Street School. Did you attend? I went to nursery there when I was two and a half, and moved into the J&I school. They built the new school on Nursery Road and we all moved temporily into Lozells Girls for a while. We moved into the new school and this was my last school year with them. I then went to Holte.

The first teacher I can remember was a Mrs George. She was near retirement age then!! Very strict. Also a Miss Slater - she was a lot younger but not very nice. The headmaster was a Mr. Bellfield - well liked by everyone. The caretaker was a Mr Powell.

I think my mom went to Lozells Girls but I think my older sister and my nan went to Anglesey Street. When they celebrated their 100 Anniversary my nan paid them a visit and talked to the young children about what school was like for her.

Jules

hi jules. no for once we dont have something in commom lol i was just down the old end last week taking pics and thought i would put pics of for those that attended. as i think you know both myself and mom both went to lozells girls as did moms 2 sisters.

Sorry Wales, I seem to recall now that yes you went to Lozell Girls - sorry having a blond moment. lol

Gosh!! the memories came flooding back.I went to this school in the 70's.I still remember my 1st day there in the nursery.Thanks for the piccies.

Gosh!! the memories came flooding back.I went to this school in the 70's.I still remember my 1st day there in the nursery.Thanks for the piccies.

Hi curious. I was at this school in the 70's and also the nursery. Do you remember any of the teachers? Mr. Bellfield was head when I was there. I used to live in Burbury Street.

Jules 65

I think it was mrs holdcroft who was the head mistress when i was there.We had Mrs Cooper,Mrs Barker,Mrs payne and Mrs Carter among the teachers.Mr Powell was the caretaker.Mr Bellfield was the head of the The Anglesey Junior school on Nursery rd when i went to that school later.

I think it was mrs holdcroft who was the head mistress when i was there.We had Mrs Cooper,Mrs Barker,Mrs payne and Mrs Carter among the teachers.Mr Powell was the caretaker.Mr Bellfield was the head of the The Anglesey Junior school on Nursery rd when i went to that school later.

You must have been there after the school split into the two buildings with the Junior children moving to the new school on Nursery Road. I was only at the new school for one year before moving up to Holte. I think Mrs Carter may have been the Miss Slater who I remember. I remember Mr. Powell well he used to give us a sweet at playtime sometimes. My mom worked there well after I had left as a dinner lady. (probably late 80's)

When you went to the Junior school was there a Mr. Olds there? I think he eventually replaced Mr Bellfield. Mr. Bellfield used to do morris dancing sometimes in assembly, with his fellow morris dancers! There was also a Mr Hodgkinson and a Mrs Hill who used to take netball.

I remember Mr hodgkinson well.He used to play the piano in assembly and take us swimming.Mr olds!! remember him too.Mrs Hill was my teacher the last 2 years i was there.Do you remember Mr Williams??

Mr. Bellfield used to do morris dancing sometimes in assembly, with his fellow morris dancers! .
I knew Stan Belfield well - I was one of his fellow morris dancers! He was very helpful to me in the early years of my teaching career - as you say, a very nice man.

I knew Stan Belfield well - I was one of his fellow morris dancers! He was very helpful to me in the early years of my teaching career - as you say, a very nice man.

Wow! I never knew his christian name. I have very fond memories of him and my time at Anglesey Street School.

I remember Mr hodgkinson well.He used to play the piano in assembly and take us swimming.Mr olds!! remember him too.Mrs Hill was my teacher the last 2 years i was there.Do you remember Mr Williams??

Mr. Hodgkinson used to teach us songs - when I'm 64 by the Beatles seems to stick in my memory. He wasn't very tall either I seem to remember. I'd forgotton all about Mr. Williams - I remember him quite well actually. Welsh guy - well with a name like Williams! Do you remember a Mrs Fretsome - gosh you have got the memories flooding back now.

Mr. Hodgkinson used to teach us songs - when I'm 64 by the Beatles seems to stick in my memory. He wasn't very tall either I seem to remember. I'd forgotton all about Mr. Williams - I remember him quite well actually. Welsh guy - well with a name like Williams! Do you remember a Mrs Fretsome - gosh you have got the memories flooding back now.[/quote

i dont recall Mrs Fretsome.Must have been before my time.Other teachers i can remember are:
Mrs Rose
mrs Wybrant.
I remember Mr bellfields last assembly before he left the school.The teachers had organised a ''This Is Your life'' event where the older children read out and talked about events during Mr bellfields time at the school.I remember one point where Mr Bellfield had tears in his eyes.He was a great Head.

Mrs Wybrant - how could I forget her. Her daughter attended the same school as my cousin - can't remember - yes I can - Astwell. It was a private school (I think) on Hamstead Road, Handsworth. I don't recall a Mrs. Rose but it was an awful long time ago now!!

Hi. I went to Anglesey Street school in 1943 so the pictures are interesting to me. I expect it has changed alot since I was there but the one photo showing the corner is still as I remember it. From Anglesey I went to Gower Street so I am looking for old photos of that school. I left in 1953 the year of the Coronation.

Attended Anglesey J&I from 1959-1965. Most names familiar to me. Mr Belfield was a nice guy, no one had a bad word to say about him. He arrived around 1961, I think, taking over from Mr Beer who'd replaced Mr Davenport. I suppose if a Mr Watney had been in the running Belfield wouldn't have had a chance! The school produced a small pocket diary every year and I have one from 71/72/73 and 79. They list the staff so if anyone wants more details, please ask. After 50 years I get to know Mr B's first name, such things were a closely guarded secret back then! Interesting looking at the photos, they built the 'new' rooms alongside Graham St when I was there having demolished some old buildings which, legend had it, had been used as air-raid shelters.

Attended Anglesey J&I from 1959-1965. Most names familiar to me. Mr Belfield was a nice guy, no one had a bad word to say about him. He arrived around 1961, I think, taking over from Mr Beer who'd replaced Mr Davenport. I suppose if a Mr Watney had been in the running Belfield wouldn't have had a chance! The school produced a small pocket diary every year and I have one from 71/72/73 and 79. They list the staff so if anyone wants more details, please ask. After 50 years I get to know Mr B's first name, such things were a closely guarded secret back then! Interesting looking at the photos, they built the 'new' rooms alongside Graham St when I was there having demolished some old buildings which, legend had it, had been used as air-raid shelters.

I was at Anglesey Street School from about 1968 (started in the nursery) and left in 1976/77. Would be interested in knowing the names of the staff there then. I remember a Mrs. George, Miss Smith, Mr Powell (the caretaker), Mrs Powell (no relation I think) school secretary, Mr. Bellfield, Mrs Fretsome, Mrs Whittaker. When the school split into Juniors being in the new building on Nursery Road and Infants staying in Anglesey Street, I remember the teachers being Mr. Olds, Mr. Hodgkins, Mrs. Hill.

I was at Anglesey Street School from about 1968 (started in the nursery) and left in 1976/77. Would be interested in knowing the names of the staff there then. I remember a Mrs. George, Miss Smith, Mr Powell (the caretaker), Mrs Powell (no relation I think) school secretary, Mr. Bellfield, Mrs Fretsome, Mrs Whittaker. When the school split into Juniors being in the new building on Nursery Road and Infants staying in Anglesey Street, I remember the teachers being Mr. Olds, Mr. Hodgkins, Mrs. Hill.

Jules, will put list for 1979 on next, more of those you mention will appear there.

STAFF AT ANGLESEY STREET SCHOOL, OFFICIALLY 'THE ANGLESEY PRIMARY SCHOOL' AS EXTRACTED FROM THE SCHOOL DIARY FOR 1971. THE FIRST NAMES HAVE BEEN EXTRACTED FROM MY MEMORY, EXCEPT THAT OF THE HEADMASTER WHICH IS REVEALED EARLIER ON THIS THREAD HAVING BEEN A MYSTERY TO ME FOR NEARLY 50 YEARS.

HEADMASTER: MR S (Stanley) BELFIELD, DEPUTY: MISS D B BOYD
N WYBRANT, C GEORGE, P MUNDY, L GREEN (all Mrs)
R BESWETHERICK, R WOODCOCK (both Mr)
A STEPHENSON, J ARTINGSTOLL, B SLATER, E BLANCHARD, (all Miss)

NURSERY: V CAVILL, J HILL (both Mrs) ; K J WILSON, J ANDREWS, H ARMSTRONG, D SANDERS, W GREEN, C PARSONS (all Miss)

CLERICAL ASSISTANT: MRS S POWELL. CARETAKERS: MR & MRS R POWELL (unrelated to Mrs S, as I recall)

MEALS: E J (Joyce) WHEELDON, J (Joan) RYDER {formerly BEET, having been widowed under that name}, B SMITH, D KELLY (all Mrs)
MEALS SUPERVISORS: E (Edna) COOPER, C HAWKINS, E (Betty) LYCETT, M (Millie) WALE, B YARDLEY (All Mrs)

NIT NURSE (sorry, HEALTH VISITOR): NURSE V GREENE
TRAFFIC WARDEN: MRS E DEAVILLE

STAFF WHO WERE THERE IN MY TIME (1959-1965) IN ADDITION TO MR BELFIELD (yes, it is only one 'L'), MISS GEORGE* & MRS MUNDY WERE: MISS WHITE, MR WOOD, MRS WRIGHT.
THE POWELLS WERE CARETAKERS THEN & HAD BEEN FOR SOME TIME, ALSO IN POST BEFORE MY TIME, I BELIEVE, WERE MRS CAVILL & MRS WHEELDON.

MR BELFIELD DROVE A BLACK 'SIT UP AND BEG' FORD POPULAR, MR WOOD HAD THE LATER MODEL IN BLUE, MRS MUNDY A RENAULT DAUPHINE (A RARE SIGHT), AND MRS WRIGHT A YELLOW AND WHITE VAUXHALL CRESTA (A HUGE AMERICAN-STYLE THING WHICH SEEMED DEAD COOL, AND PROBABLY WAS. SO WAS SHE, ACTUALLY, COS SHE WAS A CLASSY LADY WHO CORRECTLY PREDICTED THAT I'D PASS THE 11+ WHEN WOOD SAID I WOULDN'T.)
*THIS IS THE UNMARRIED GEORGE, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE MRS GEORGE OF LATER YEARS.

Last edited:
Gosh these names bring back so many memories.

When I mentioned Miss Smith I realise now I meant Miss Slater! Miss Slater was horrible - or so it seemed to me at about 6 years of age. Sitting in the hall, crossed legged for assembly I can remember her walking along the line and kicking me to make me sit properly. My first teacher was Miss George who seemed very old to me then. A white haired old lady but who was very kind and didn't shout like Miss Slater.

Mr Powell, the caretaker, I remember with fondness. At playtime I would love to go and talk to him and maybe hold his hand (wouldn't be allowed now!!) He would put his hand in his pocket and bring out a sweet for me, probably a polo mint. Happy days!

When I was very little I used to have to stay school dinners. How I hated them! Being made to have cabbage on my plate scarred me for life I feel!! Never ever liked cabbage until a couple of years ago actually when I plucked up the courage to try it and actually quite liked it. I seem to remember my mom and Joyce Wheeldon having long conversations about how I hadn't settled for school dinners.

I remember Mr Beswetherick vaguely. What a name! How could one forget.

As I think I have mentioned before, Mrs Wybrant had a daughter probably about my age or possibly younger. She sent her to a fee paying private school on Hamstead Road, Astwell Preparatory School.

My mom also worked as a dinner lady at Anglesey but this would have been in the late '80s.

Gosh these names bring back so many memories.

When I mentioned Miss Smith I realise now I meant Miss Slater! Miss Slater was horrible - or so it seemed to me at about 6 years of age. Sitting in the hall, crossed legged for assembly I can remember her walking along the line and kicking me to make me sit properly. My first teacher was Miss George who seemed very old to me then. A white haired old lady but who was very kind and didn't shout like Miss Slater.

Mr Powell, the caretaker, I remember with fondness. At playtime I would love to go and talk to him and maybe hold his hand (wouldn't be allowed now!!) He would put his hand in his pocket and bring out a sweet for me, probably a polo mint. Happy days!

When I was very little I used to have to stay school dinners. How I hated them! Being made to have cabbage on my plate scarred me for life I feel!! Never ever liked cabbage until a couple of years ago actually when I plucked up the courage to try it and actually quite liked it. I seem to remember my mom and Joyce Wheeldon having long conversations about how I hadn't settled for school dinners.

I remember Mr Beswetherick vaguely. What a name! How could one forget.

As I think I have mentioned before, Mrs Wybrant had a daughter probably about my age or possibly younger. She sent her to a fee paying private school on Hamstead Road, Astwell Preparatory School.

My mom also worked as a dinner lady at Anglesey but this would have been in the late '80s.

I've had to think again, Jules. When I looked at the diaries I was surprised to see a MRS George as it was a MISS that I remembered. I've since realised they were not one in the same. Miss George was indeed a tiny white-haired lady, renowned for her kindness.
Your memories of Mr Powell are much as mine and, I guess, those of most who knew him. I remember too his bib-and-brace overalls; the production of sweets from his pocket (particularly when any child was upset; I can see that smile now.); the shovel, and bucket of sawdust for cleaning up 'accidents' produced by the children; and his habit of running the palm of his hand across his black wavy hair.
The Powells' house was to the right of the Anglesey St entrance (with the nursery to the left). There always seemed to be a washing-line full of white towels, these had a red strip across the centre emblazoned with 'Birmingham Corporation'.
I hated that cabbage smell! Every time you walked past the canteen, there it was. We had to have lessons in there for a time as there was noisy building work going on outside our room, my eyes were rolling more than usual on those occasions. Never touched the stuff.
In the last couple of years there we had to learn to play the recorder. I loathed those things, not because I was useless at playing one, but because the taste of the plastic mouthpiece made me feel sick. Ugh!

Just a few memories between 1955-1960 at Anglesey street school. Headteacher Mr Beer deputy, Mrs Whiite,teachers Miss Angers ,Miss CM Dandy,Mr Ratcliffe,Miss Burridge,Miss George,caretaker Mr Powell.
Outside toilets by bike shed (replaced when new classrooms and toilets built) the wall around the playground contained rooms (used as air raid shelters during war) then filled with old desks etc.In winter slides in the playground streched almost from wall to wall.concerts with choir at Bimingham Town Hall.School dinners were cooked not only for Anglesey but other schools in the area, i often had a lift home at lunchtime in the van taking meals to a school in Handsworth were i lived (parents were caretakers) Still have autograph book made in school in final term containing some of the above named teachers, plus classmates.Weekly trip by double decker to sportsfield at Wellhead Lane Perry Barr,Tuck shop on corner with halpenny/penny/twopenny sweet trays.

Lyn

I noticed you never did find a photo of Anglesey School, it might be a bit late now but here is one from the early 70's I would guess.

Phil

AngleseyStSchool.jpg

its never too late for pics phil...thanks evso for this one..i shall send it to my friend who lives in wickford i dont think she would have this one....

lyn

hi i was at anglesey school throughout the sixties and left in 1971,mr belfield was the head,mr beswetherick the deputy,mrs goerge was my first teacher,followed by mr martin,god he was strict,mrs boyed,and ending with my favorite teacher ever mrs wybrant,i have such happy memories of that era,i lived at 22 anglesey street,and had many friends in anglesey street,burbery street,church street,villa rd,braughm street,and a girlfriend debbie on wills street,happy days,i would love to hear from anyone from that era.

hi i was at anglesey school throughout the sixties and left in 1971,mr belfield was the head,mr beswetherick the deputy,mrs goerge was my first teacher,followed by mr martin,god he was strict,mrs boyed,and ending with my favorite teacher ever mrs wybrant,i have such happy memories of that era,i lived at 22 anglesey street,and had many friends in anglesey street,burbery street,church street,villa rd,braughm street,and a girlfriend debbie on wills street,happy days,i would love to hear from anyone from that era.

I remember a lot of those teachers names. My first teacher was also Miss George. I left Anglesey in 1976. Mr Bellfield was lovely - I remember his morris dancing! I also remember fondly the caretaker Mr. Powell who used to give us sweets at playtime. I lived in Burbury Street.

i was part of mr belfields morris dancing team,it was the only way i could afford to go to see the schoolboy internationals at wembley,i remember mr powel nice guy always in his dungerees.friends i had in burbury street wre Graham meah,Gary owen,Elvis hughes and Andy meah,they all lived at the bottom end.

Back