• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Angel Hotel - Stratford Road Sparkbrook

• Thread starter www.midlandspubs.co.uk
  • Start date
Rob.
The post you refer to was a very old one. The midlandpubs site has been reorganized since then and does not now seem to have a section on Stratford road

Kieron, Can't seem to find a link to Stratford rd

Here's an advert for the Angel Hotel from the 1890's

View attachment 172282
My dad ran this pub in 1967,it was next door to the laundry at the time and I went Ladypool Rd junior school next door.Its customers were mainly Irish and travlers , it still had the dumb waiter working.
The Buffalo's had a meeting room on the 1st floor.And a club room down stairs at the rear called the padded cell. IN 1969 when M &B had some floors replaced my dad found gold sovereigns and half soverins under the floors.

My brother worked at Velocette during the 50's and I believe that they held their Christmas dance at the Angel, could that be possible?
Dave A

IMG_2769.jpeg

“Built in the eighteenth century, the Angel Inn on the Stratford Road was then a coach-ride out of town and boasted a fine tea garden. This engraving shows an old stage coach which had passed through the toll-bar on the Stratford Road; also visible is the side-bar at the entrance to Ladypool Lane. (From R. K. Dent's, "The Making of Birmingham”, 1894.)

Back