• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Amy Russell New Oscott Burial

Thanks Pen.
Yes - at St Chad's beyond showing me where the films were and how to use the reader I was left to my own devices. However, it may have changed as there is a new archivist I think.

Looking at the overlay maps I don't think that burial ground is there but I am not sure where or when any bodies would have been removed.

See als here

Janice,
The remains may have been removed to New Oscott but if I remember correctly they will be recorded under their original site. Maryvale Old Oscott was also an orphanage so there must have been some burials from there. (There are three multiple burials in St Michael's, Boldmere from local orphanages, mostly children). The burials from St Peter's church, Broad Street were re-interred at New Oscott.

I can't remember but did you check Handsworth Cemetery?

Penny

Janice,
The remains may have been removed to New Oscott but if I remember correctly they will be recorded under their original site. Maryvale Old Oscott was also an orphanage so there must have been some burials from there. (There are three multiple burials in St Michael's, Boldmere from local orphanages, mostly children). The burials from St Peter's church, Broad Street were re-interred at New Oscott.

Penny
pen i am sure i found the old burial ground for maryvale old oscott a few years back..i took photos of it ..basically fenced off and overgrown janice posted a link on post 31 that should lead you to it...not sure if this is what you are looking for though

lyn

Last edited:
Janice,

Penny
Thanks for that - I would try Oscott College first as I think they have their own records.
Handsworth is on the Birmingham burials list and that was a blank.

pen i am sure i found the old burial ground for maryvale old oscott a few years back..i took photos of it ..basically fenced off and overgrown janice posted a link on post 31 that should lead you to it...not sure if this is what you are looking for though

lyn
Lyn. We need to see if there is a record of where Amy Russell was/is buried. Then we can find the plot if possible.

Lyn. We need to see if there is a record of where Amy Russell was/is buried. Then we can find the plot if possible.
jan do you think it would be help obtaining the death cert for clues such as where she died ? we know she was on the chester road in 1921 but could have moved...just a thought...if i have the right person she married in the parish church oxford..i dont think that this was a catholic church

lyn

The OP says they lived in New Oscott. 1921 puts them on Chester Road. She is in touch with the family so would think they ought to know.

How odd that she was a devout Catholic later in life but married and had a least one child baptised as C of E.

How odd that she was a devout Catholic later in life but married and had a least one child baptised as C of E.
yes jan thats why i mentioned her C of E marriage..have i got the right person jan...ive got amy cox marr walter russell oxford 3rd nov 1902 and their eldest child william born 9th nov 1902 bapt 7th dec 1902...if i have they cut that a bit fine :D

lyn

I think so. If you find her on the 1911 they are already living on Chester Road. Perhaps she was a late convert.

bit of info from new member interloper that the death cert for amy gives address of chester road

lyn

Last edited:
I looked at the 1911 census and I'm pretty sure that either they, or near neighbours, were living in a cottage part of Bush Cottages. From other research this was next to the Beggars Bush pub by the Chester Road entrance to Homebase.

I looked at the 1911 census and I'm pretty sure that either they, or near neighbours, were living in a cottage part of Bush Cottages. From other research this was next to the Beggars Bush pub by the Chester Road entrance to Homebase.
There home was on opposite side of road to beggars bush, it is now a shop.

I don't think there would be any harm in asking. I would think they might have their own burial records rather than them being at St Chads

Just done a check and they might be at Oscott. There were burials prior to 1939 but I can't tell who they might have been and whether members of the pubic might have been buried there.

Date:1850-1926
Title:Oscott Burials and Cemetery
Description:Papers relating to the Oscott Cemetery are still at Oscott where they are in current or semi-current use; this sub-section has been added to allow for later deposits.Until the 1940s burials at Oscott took place in burial grounds near the chapel and in a small piece of woodland. In 1937 the Trustees began negotiations with Birmingham Council to develop part of College Farm as a cemetery, thus providing a burial place for Catholics and a permanent open space for the College
I contacted oscott cemetery and they replied she was not buried there as burials didnt begin till 1939, however if you have found information to confirm burials did take place prior, it may be worth asking the question again with this new information.

yes jan thats why i mentioned her C of E marriage..have i got the right person jan...ive got amy cox marr walter russell oxford 3rd nov 1902 and their eldest child william born 9th nov 1902 bapt 7th dec 1902...if i have they cut that a bit fine :D

lyn
We have williams birth as 1903, but if your information is correct it could explain why they moved to Birmingham.

jan do you think it would be help obtaining the death cert for clues such as where she died ? we know she was on the chester road in 1921 but could have moved...just a thought...if i have the right person she married in the parish church oxford..i dont think that this was a catholic church

lyn
We have a copy of death certificate. She died in general hospital Birmingham 28th September 1926, residence Chester road.

I contacted oscott cemetery and they replied she was not buried there as burials didnt begin till 1939, however if you have found information to confirm burials did take place prior, it may be worth asking the question again with this new information.
It might be worth asking about the burials removed from Maryvale to Oscott. I don't know when that happened. Pen refers to it in post 33.
This, I think would be a separate record from the Oscott burials register.

If the burials were moved then I don't understand why the graveyard is still there even if disused and overgrown.
my thoughts exactly jan and i do wonder if there are still burials on the ground...think its worth finding out as it seems that all other enquires are drawing a blank...for those who have not read it i visited maryvale some years ago and took photos including some of the burial ground...see below thread start reading from my post 67

lyn

Last edited:
Back