• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Amos Ison

I will post one of the newspaper articles. To do with the theft of a watch.

This was under the heading of Kidderminster. The main concern I have is that the age is wrong. If he is 53 in 1869 he was born in 1816 not 1823 so I doubt it is the right person.

Attachments

• Worcestershire Chronicle 3  March 1869.JPG
    Worcestershire Chronicle 3 March 1869.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Worcestershire Chronicle 3  March 1869 #2.JPG
    Worcestershire Chronicle 3 March 1869 #2.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Amazing work folks. And so fast and thorough. The William Amos on two son's marriage certificates is telling. I would like to see the newspaper pieces that have him as a brewer in Kidderminster. The death of 1887 with a circa birth of 1824 Birmingham looked very likely but as you say, Sarah is a widow by 1881. Could a census be that wrong?

I see the William Ison death in Sep qtr 1887 in Birmingham in FreeBMD. Interestingly, it does not show in the GRO Index. GRO shows a William in the Dec qtr in Tynemouth. There is just the issue of the 1881 census.

I am looking at the 1881 digital census and Sarah Ison with the right age and birthplace and living in the area seems our Sarah. But I am now confused about the 2 daughters living with her. There has been no Emily till now. The Emily here would have a birth date of c 1847. That is when daughter Harriet was born. And there is no Emily on previous census. Same with Polly. Her calculated birth year is 1859, the same year as Mary who appears on previous census but no Polly before. Am I missing something?

Mary's are often known as Polly (not sure why) so that didn't worry me. The Emily bit did bother me but birthplace is Belbroughton and age roughly right. Plus I can't find a birth reg for an Emily Ison.
So this was I felt, a good fit.

The newspapers are about the crime not brewing. They simply refer to William Amos aged 53 (not correct for Amos) a brewer.
I have posted one article.
He was sentenced to 6 months prison with hard labour.

Mary's are often known as Polly (not sure why) so that didn't worry me. The Emily bit did bother me but birthplace is Belbroughton and age roughly right. Plus I can't find a birth reg for an Emily Ison.
So this was I felt, a good fit.
I get the Mary becomes Polly. Very good. Had no idea. When you say you can't find a birth for Emily, do you mean Harriet? Is there a birth record for either Harriet or Emily? Harriet appears in the 1851 and 1861 census. Harriet seems real born about 1847. So Emily is Harriet?

Coupled with Amos Ison, is wife Annie Rowley. I have Born Mar 1856 in Stourbridge, Worcestershire, from the GRO. Does anyone have access to a baptism that could provide a more accurate date and parents? I have her parents as Reuben Rowley (Born 23 Nov 1816 in Stourport, Worcestershire) and Hannah Warren (Born about 1819 [uncertain] in Alrewas, Staffordshire). I am currently working to verify them the best I can. Thanks.

I get the Mary becomes Polly. Very good. Had no idea. When you say you can't find a birth for Emily, do you mean Harriet? Is there a birth record for either Harriet or Emily? Harriet appears in the 1851 and 1861 census. Harriet seems real born about 1847. So Emily is Harriet?
I can find a birth reg for Harriet with mmn Clark. but I can't find a separate reg for an Emily so I am guessing that Harriet and Emily are likely to be the same person.

I can find a birth reg for Harriet with mmn Clark. but I can't find a separate reg for an Emily so I am guessing that Harriet and Emily are likely to be the same person.
Good news. Thanks. I will get to those children eventually. Have a lot of people I am juggling as I am pretty new to this.

Have Reuben Rowley GRO death as 1889 Apr-May-Jun in Kidderminster. Have unconfirmed April 1, 1889 in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, aged 72. Can this specific date be confirmed or denied? Thanks.

Had good results with Reuben Rowley and wife Hannah Warren. Have her baptism and death but it is only the quarter (Died about Jun 1885 [uncertain] at about age 67 in Kidderminster). Any burial record at hand? Do all these nearby ancestors make me an honorary brummie.

Going in the opposite direction. We started with Walter George Ison, then his father Amos, now Walter's son William Homer was born in Kidderminster and immigrated with his parents to Brisbane. I have an unsubstantiated birth for William Homer of 2 Apr 1879 in Kidderminster, Worcestershire. I can't find him in FREEBMD or GRO to even get me started. Could this be an Ison registered under a different spelling? In looking at the history of the name it has been spelt a million ways since it started after the Crusades. Just learnt that surnames started with taxation. Poll tax meant people had to be accurately identified. Now we have facial recognition, finger prints, DNA and smart phones. Oh and my ISP.

One more son of Walter George Ison. John Albert Ison born in Kidderminster and immigrated with his parents. He carried on his father's successful coachworks in Brisbane and lived to 96! I have a GRO registration about Sep 1880 [uncertain] in Kidderminster. Looking for a baptism from the Birmingham experts.

One more son of Walter George Ison. John Albert Ison born in Kidderminster and immigrated with his parents. He carried on his father's successful coachworks in Brisbane and lived to 96! I have a GRO registration about Sep 1880 [uncertain] in Kidderminster. Looking for a baptism from the Birmingham experts.
bapt of john albert

Attachments

• 62085_302022005560_5664-00111 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I don't think this has been mentioned before, found while looking for something else.

It appears that Amos and Sarah had at least one more daughter - a Mary Minerva Ison, b1856 d1857 - before the Mary already mentioned.

Father is listed as William rather than Amos on her baptism but I'm fairly certain it's correct, as Amos has been listed as William at times and Amos's son John James also had a daughter called Mary Minerva.

Back