• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Amesbury Court,Moseley

tali

master brummie
Amesbury Court, 6 Amesbury Road, Birmingham, B13 8LD (not Amesbury Manor which is further up ), i believe this imposing building opposite the rear of Moseley Hall hospital near Salisbury rd side is now divided into flats.But does anyone know history of this building -wasn't it connected to some prominent Brum figure ?

I can't recall anybody of repute living at Amesbury Court although it is a magnificent building, I think it was an old peoples home from at least 1947 until it was converted to apartments whenever that was.

Attachments

• Moseley Amesbury Rd Amesbury Court.JPG
    Moseley Amesbury Rd Amesbury Court.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 21
I believe it was a private retirement home, work started converting it to apartments just before I left Moseley Hall.

Colin

What a beautiful house - I am intrigued now as to who may have lived in it in the past. I"ve had a look in the old papers but can"t find anything at the moment.
Does anyone know: when it was built, if it has always been called Amesbury Court and if it"s address has always been number 6 Amesbury Road?

As far as I know, The Hurst (now Amesbury Court, 6 Amesbury Road) was built for Alderman John Bowen to plans by the architect William Bidlake in 1906. I have a particular interest in that house because it once contained a pipe organ (now gone) but the rather nice oak case is supposed to still be there in the main entrance hall. Does anyone happen to have a picture of that hall? I would be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

As far as I know, The Hurst (now Amesbury Court, 6 Amesbury Road) was built for Alderman John Bowen to plans by the architect William Bidlake in 1906. I have a particular interest in that house because it once contained a pipe organ (now gone) but the rather nice oak case is supposed to still be there in the main entrance hall. Does anyone happen to have a picture of that hall? I would be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Back