• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Almshouses

O

O.C.

Holte Almshouses in Aston Lane 1920c (now Aston Hall Road)
Bottom photo 1910c  the Almshouses on the left .....Aston Church on the right

:angel: From: https://127.0.0.1:4664/cache?event_id=87580&schema_id=6&q=Gun&s=CqoVBMUaCN-08PgQqOPaV66Jwww

Title: Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham
A History And Guide Arranged Alphabetically
Author: Thomas T. Harman and Walter Showell
Release Date: December 26, 2004 [EBook #14472]

This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net

Almshouses for Lench's Trust were built in Steelhouse Lane in 1764. In later years other sets of houses have been built in Conybere Street, Hospital Street, Ravenhurst Street, and Ladywood Road, the inmates, all women, numbering 182. Jas. Dowell's Almshouses in Warner Street, consisting of 20 houses and a chapel, known as the "Retreat," were built in 1820. Mrs. Glover's Almshouses in Steelhouse Lane for 36 aged women, were erected in 1832. James Lloyd's twenty-four Almshouses in Belgrave Street were erected in 1869

Here are the Almhouses of St Albans Church Highgate/Balsall Heath

Adjacent to St.Albans church is the attractive setting of the Lench's Trust Almhouses. A stone plaque informs that they were erected in 1879 and at the time the Bailiff's were Charles G.Beale and Henry Buckley. The buildings were once those of the King Edward VI Boys' School.

Last edited:
The Holte Almshouses where built in 1656, at the cost of around £200, and its inhabitants were supported on £88 a year out of the manor of Erdinton.

Two rare photo's of Old Almshouses, Lench's Trust,Steelhouse Lane in the 1880's

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if Lench's Almshouses in Steelhouse Lane were the same as Glovers Almshouses also of Steelhouse Lane in the 1890's?
Ernie

I have found an ancestor living in the Alms houses number 5 Aston Lane in 1901
Why would people be living there was it some type of workhouse.?
thank you.

Dottieau, Taken from Wilkipedia.

Almshouses are charitable housing provided to enable people (typically elderly people who can no longer work to earn enough to pay rent) to live in a particular community. They are often targeted at the poor of a locality, at those from certain forms of previous employment, or their widows, and are generally maintained by a charity or the trustees of a bequest.

Thanks for that Mike-g This Lady was a widow by 1901 so perhaps this is why she is there. I was just surprised to find her there with having such a big family I thought one of them might have given her a home. I will have to send for her death certificate to see if she finished her days there.

Anyone heard of the Charles Lane Trust Houses in Fox Hollies Rd, please? I think my grandfather spent some time at 95 Lanes Trust Houses in 1950. He died in 1951 at 384 Tessall Lane which I think was the Joseph Sheldon Hospital. I think there was a mental problem. Anyone any idea how I could find out more, please? Maggie

There are some old almshouses on the corner of Fox Hollies rd and School lane, not sure if they belong to a trust.

Hi - I'm new to the forum so please excuse if this has been covered before, but I am hoping someone has a picture they can share of the Glover's Almshouse in Steelhouse Lane, which I think were a different set of buildings to the Lench's trust ones. Also can anyone please pinpoint where they were on the street and what happened to them?

I have found a nice picture of Lench's Trust Almshouses, Ladywood Road off Five Ways in the 1967 at https://oldbirminghampictures.lefora.com/2009/09/19/the-slides-of-phyllis-nicklin-edgbaston/
The location is
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...2.473514,-1.920081&spn=0.001434,0.003911&z=18

Aidan
The position of Mrs Glovers Almshouses is shown in red on the c 1910 map. They are still listed up to 1933 (for thirty elderly females), though by then the church in the centre of the almshouses is the Church of Christ Scientist (rather than Congregational.) however by 1936 there is something called Glovers buildings, and the almshouses are not listed as such. Glovers buildings disappeared after the war. I do not know if they were the same buildings as the almshouses.
Mike

Mrs_Glovers_almshouses.jpg

My 4G-Grandmother Ann Brueton, a former school-mistress, is shown as living in House No.1 (of 15, think some of them were doubles or shared), Alms Houses, 108-110 Steelhouse Lane in the 1871C and died in 1878 at Glover's Buildings, Steelhouse Lane. Given the date of Glover's Almshouses/Buildings demise, I wonder if there is a photo, painting, picture or sketch of them in existence - it seems unlikely?

Slight problem Aidan.
You didn’t say the year originally. In 1872 (and presumably in 1871) there was another set of Mrs Glovers Alsmhouses on Steelhouse lane . They were there in 1890 and are shown on the map below in red, but have disappeared by 1892. they would correspond to 108-110 steelhouse lane, in addition to the ones on the other side of the road, so these would be the ones you are interested in. I’m afraid you would be very lucky to get a picture, but you never know
Mike

otherMrsgloversalmshousesuppersteelhouselane1890.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again Mike for clearing up that complication. That put's that part of Glover's under Birmingham Children's Hospital I think. Steelhouse Lane must have been Almshouse central in those days!

there are some alms houses around the top of Bradford Street, think they are on Ravenhurst St but I don't think they are used as Alms Houses anymore, any one any ideas?

Aidan

This is a photo of the Lench's Trust Alms Houses in Steelhouse Lane.

Phil

CitySteelhouseLaneLenchsTrustHouses1764-1880.jpg

Aidan

This is a photo of the Lench's Trust Alms Houses in Steelhouse Lane.

Phil

That's just super & made my day - thanks for remembering me Phil - For the icing on the cake, any idea of the date of the photo and which Glover's Buildings they are please?

Aidan

I have no idea of the age of the photo, but it would have to be pre 1880 as they were built in 1764 and demolished in 1880, that is all the information that was with the photo. As I have said before I didn't keep information on where I sourced photos from, but I have begun to keep a record now.

Phil

I am contacting from Aus. I have picked up a relative who passed away 9th December 1846 at (and I quote from the Death Certificate) "Alms Houses Hospital Street" - which I assume is Birmingham. I Googled the quote and was able to establish that Alms Houses were built in Hospital Street in about 1829.
Can anyone out there tell me where Hospital Street is (or was) and does anyone have any info on these particular Alms houses?
The woman was a widow (aged 69) and so I am assuming she must have fallen on hard times. Her death was certified as 'Fever for 4 weeks'.
Any help gratefully received.

Old Brummie.

I know that there was (and still is) a Hospital Street in Hockley. No idea whether there were almshouses there, but it was a hive of back to back backs in the 1800s (and into the 1900s). I'm sure when they wake up that others more knowledgeable will be more specific :)

Paul

Hi oldBrummie
Lench’s almshouses were between 109 and 111 Hospital Street (in case you didn’t know, there were a number of Lech’s almshouses around the city run by a trust.) They were on the western side of the street, just south of Buckingham St, and a 1889 map below shows them. Do not know if the layout was the same in 1846 though. The same area may be seen on Google at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Buckingham+Street,+Birmingham&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.985334,29.750977&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Buckingham+St,+Birmingham,+West+Midlands+B19,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.488294,-1.901579&spn=0.001882,0.003632&t=h&z=18

Hope that is useful
mike

Paul and Mike, thanks for responding.
This all came out of the blue as, to date, all searched relatives have seemed to live "normal" working class lives.
This one had to be different and now I am wondering why. A lot more deeper searching to be done!

OldBrummie.

Back