• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

All Things Victorian

Hi Alf: I have seen that Victorian Album site before and I can't recall it being posted. I like having a look through it. Thanks for posting it.

evening all
does anybody remember the victorian bath at woodcock street baths we were directed to this bath as the main bath was in use at the time,it was like going back in time they had changing cubicles on the side of the baths and the cubicles seemed bigger than the normal ones it was all tiled in dark blue or green tiles and i am talking about 1969/71 and as woodcock street baths are still there i should imagine the victorian bath is still there OR IS IT!
phil

evening all
does anybody remember the victorian bath at woodcock street baths we were directed to this bath as the main bath was in use at the time,it was like going back in time they had changing cubicles on the side of the baths and the cubicles seemed bigger than the normal ones it was all tiled in dark blue or green tiles and i am talking about 1969/71 and as woodcock street baths are still there i should imagine the victorian bath is still there OR IS IT!
phil

phil
Take a look through this lot should be some photos :)

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/search.php?searchid=1576651

hi guys
yes i can like most of all the other people can recal these baths
[ these victorian baths] they was huge and when you scampered into them they was very deep
i remember when i was a kid and we lived in lichfield rd
the back to back houses,s amongest the plaster bugs
and the big cockroaches running around we used to go
up to victoria road baths every second day
and use there victorian baths
you turned left on exit to the bath section and right for the swimming pool it cost us 3d for the bath
on the bath there was a massive big brass key on it
the antendant would put the hot water in the bath for you
it would not be more than 6 inches in depth
and it was piping hot and you would turn this large brass tap your self for the cold water and you wouldhave filled it up to at least the half way of the bath before trying to scramlbleing
over the top to get in and these was in cubicles
this was around 1953-4 era
does any body recall the penny slips they sold
when toy forgot your swimming trunks at any time
you could get them from the office box for a penny when finished you had to hand them back .
bestwishes astonian ;;

Hi Astonion, I know the kids nowadays must get fed up the olddies telling
them they dont know they are born when it comes to living conditions, theres a lot of truth in humour Bernard Manning used to say "If we werent
in bed by ten oclock the bugs used to come down stairs to see where we
got to",it could not not have done us any harm, there are lots of left to bore
the pants off these youngters with tales of the "Good Old Days". Most of
us made sure that our own children had a better upbringing than we had.
Take care now, Bernard:cool:

Back