• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alfred C Walter or Lizzie Walter

lesg128

george 1st
Hi
I believe that one of my relations had a shop in Redditch.
In census 1901 an address is given as 20 Grove Street Redditch.
Can someone confirm.
They did have a grocers shop in Birmingham in the 1930's.
Thanks
Lesg128:)

In 1911 they are living at 57 Grove St Redditch and Lizzie Jane is descibed as a Shopkeeper,Groceries,Own account. Alfred Charles is an engine driver (Stationary) at a Needle Makers.Son Alfred Richard is working in a Tailors Shop.Daughter Frances Ethel is a Domestic.
Hope this helps

in 1920 alfred charles walter and lizzie jane walter were living 69 york rd. moseley and kings heath ward
it seems lizzie jane walter died in 1922 aged 58 in kings norton
in 1925 alfred c walter married clara jane meddings in north bham.

in 1930, 1935 and 1939 they are living 85 grange rd. moseley and kings heath ward.

alfred c walter died 1940 birmingham aged 76.

clara j walter was living 177 highbury rd. moseley and kings heath ward in 1945. she died in 1948 aged 77yrs.

sorry i dont know about the shop.

hi ladylinda
many thanks for the info on alfred and lizzie.
The address 57 Grove street differs from the 1901, which was 20 Grove Street,so I assume they moved further down the road.Would the address in the 1911 have been the shop?
les

Hi Shera
Many thanks for the details you have given me about Alfred and Lizzie it is very helpful.
Alfred and Clara Jane had a grocery shop in Birmingham until 1939. The fact that Alfred died in 1940 gives me the possible reason the shop was not listed in Kelly's after that date. With the the details you and others on Birmingham History Forum have supplied helps me put together a better picture of my relatives lives.
No apologies needed for not finding the shop in Redditch the extra info you gave is fantastic.
Les

Back