• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alexandra Theatre - John Bright Street

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
The mention of the programme Lunch Box has prompted me to ask if anyone has any memories of my late Father-in-Law William (Bill) Dobson
He appeared on the programme a number of times when he was manager of the Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham.
Bill was manager for over 20 years until he retired in 1963 (I think),and he died in 1974.
I did not have an interest in family history before his wife Ada and his daughter Carol (my late wife ) died so I have little information about him or his life in the theatre.I do remember that there were lots of stories told about the people he had met and had worked with,but I did not think to record these stories,( I'm sure everyone can relate to that).
The only information I have about him is the usual birth cert/death cert,with very little else so any information about him or the "Alex" would be most welcome.

Colin

Colin, I am in contact with a lady in the USA who is quite an authority on the Alex as her father was the commissionaire there for many years.
I will contact her and ask if she knew of your Father in law.
Contact you again soon. O0

Colin, Derek Salberg, who was a theatre impresario with strong connections to the
Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham wrote a book specificially about the Alex Theatre...."My Love Affair with a Theatre" which is available in the Local Studies Dept at the Birmingham Central Library and at Amazon.co.uk. There might be a reference to your father-in-law in there. Derek Salberg also wrote three other books about theatre history. "Ring Down the Curtain" Three centuries of theatre history in Britain.... "Once Upon a Pantomime" and "A Mixed Bag Mostly About The Theatre". Another site which is about pantomimes and Derek Salberg is "Its-behind-you.com".

His father Leon Salberg, bought the theatre back in 1911 and it was run by him until 1936 when Derek Salberg took over. Someone else may know about William
Dobson since he was the manager for two decades or more also Postie's friend in the
United States.

he is mentioned in 2 books
my love affair with a theatre-derek salberg
alexandra theatre-m f k fraser
both should be in local brum libraries

Hi Colin
My friend in the USA has sent a picture to me of Bill Dobson.
I can let you have it by e-mail if you wish. O0

it marvellous how so much you folks out there can do in a matter of a few hours,thank you all.
Postie I would love another photo of him theres not a lot in the family album.
I understood there was a large number of albums and gifts left in his office when he retired.when he returned some time later they had all been removed,these had photos and autographs of many of the people who had performed at the Alex whilst he was there.

Thanks again

Colin

My own memories of the Alex go back to the 1940s when I was lucky enough to be taken to the odd pantomime there. At that time it appeared the height of modernity when compared with all the red plush and Victorian grandeur of the Theatre Royal.

I was given some programme details of a fund-raising event involving local artistes which took place there on Sunday December 7th 1941 - a significant day in history for other reasons as well! They are buried within this online page, about halfway down.

Chris

I think it's the Rep that's closing for two years, rather than the Alex., Wendy.

Thank's Charlie and ellbrown I only caught the end of the report and did think it strange. Thanks for putting me right. x

My wife was in the panto as a dancer for several seasons during the late 1960's and has happy memories of the cast of Robinson Crusoe and Cinderella with I think it was Les Dawson or Danny La Rue, she has a box of photo's in the loft somewhere. She will remember all the staff I'm sure. I'll ask her when she gets in later.

New shots of the Alexandra Theatre taken from Suffolk Street Queensway - decked up for Britains Got Talent (I don't watch it)

New Alexandra Theatre - Suffolk Street Queensway - Britain's Got Talent by ell brown, on Flickr

New Alexandra Theatre - Suffolk Street Queensway - Britain's Got Talent by ell brown, on Flickr

Why are they now calling it "New Alexandra Theatre". What is so new about it? It's like when BRMB called themselves New BRMB (but that didn't last too long).

img704.jpg
This is/was the entrance to the Alexandra Theatre in John Bright Street. 1938

Alexandra Theatre - John Bright Street
There doesn't appear to be a specific thread about the Alex.

#1 - Alex is on the right with open windows.

John Bright Street.jpg

#2 Alex in 1934

John Bright St - Alex Theatre - 1934.jpg

#3 Alex - Decorated for a Royal Visit - either 1909 or 1911?.
Does anyone know why there appears to be a Ship on top of the Building??

Royal Visit - 1909 -  Alex Theatre - Copy copy.jpg

yes very weird to look at..can see flags on the ship so i an only guess that it was a mock up made for the event

lyn

Another pic of the Alexandra Theatre decorated for the Visit of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1909. Perhaps a hint of something on top of the theatre in this pic but not definite. I doubt whether the King would have looked up there unless someone pointed it out to him.
Alexandra 1909.jpg

The Great Salberg secret..... Leon Salberg was Chairman of the Clifton Cinema Circuit.... If you read his son Derek's books there is no mention of the fact.. When Derek and I ever spoke about his fathers cinema interest it was always in Private... On Leon demise Sidney Clift needed a new front man for the new block of seven cinemas he had planned Kingstanding. Shirley. Warley, Stafford. Hereford. Bradford.. and the Kettering take over So he appointed his friend Oscar Deutch and the rest his History... Sir Sidney Clift being a leading Birmingham Solicitor could not be seen heading a Cinema company as it was not seemly to hold such a post. Even though he pulled all the corporate strings It was an ideal situation Deutch was a showman... Clift was rarely photographed. and there lies a more interesting story .......

Back