• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Albion Inn

S

stevelaine

Does anyone have any info/stories on the Albion Inn in Aston as my husbands father was a barman there in the 60's? Thanks

after the facelift

Attachments

• ALBION Aston Rd North  1989.jpg
    ALBION Aston Rd North 1989.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 34
Can someone remind me what road that is in...thanks
as I used to go in an Albion pub but can't remember where...
is there one in Nechells too?

I have located the following pubs in Birmingham directories, all pre 1945:
ALBION, 23 Aston Road North, 1868 - after 1943
ALBION, 187 Heath Street [ex 30 Heath Street North], 1858 - after 1943
ALBION, 41 Trevor Street, Nechells, 1939 - after 1943
ALBION, Sheepcote Street, 1895 - after 1943
ALBION COMMERCIAL HOTEL, 14 Livery Street, 1858 - after 1943
ALBION INN, 136 Hope Street, 1862 - 1913
ALBION INN/VAULTS, 73 [ex 35] Cato Street North, Saltley, 1868 - after 1943
ALBION TAVERN, 57 Digbeth, 1858 [ex GUY, OLD GUY, name reverted to OLD GUY by 1862]
ALBION TAVERN, 94 [ex 41, ex 44] Wheeler Street, 1858 - after 1943
Peter

Hi everyone. In 1871 census Henry Worsey was licensee of The Albion Inn, George Street, Duddeston cum Nechells. George Street in not in the A-Z. The enumeration district includes Cattells Grove, Cranmore Street and Cheatham Street off Nechells Park Road. Any ideas if George Street was renamed, and any ideas of there's still an Albion Inn (or a renamed pub that could have been The Albin) round there? Any info gratefully received. Sue

Sue
George St changed its name (presumably because there were so many others in brum), between 1884 and 1888 to Trevor St. the street is still there , but is now an industrial estate or modern housing. In the directories there is a mention of a Henry Worsey in 1872 at no 20 , but pub is not named. In 1873 he is still there and it is described as a beerhouse (confirming that it was selling beer for consumption on the premises and not just we would now call an off-licence.)

You can see Trevor St in about 1890 https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10095&ox=1308&oy=446&zm=1&czm=1&x=299&y=253 There appears to be some renumbering in the early 1880s (and it seems to have become no 43), but in 1872 no 20 would have been on the south side in the section between Nechells park road on the left, and Johnson St, being quite close to (if not on) the corner of Johnson St. The section it was on is now named Trevor St west. By 1940 it is listed by name as The Albion and it was still there in 1973, but street view shows no sign of a pub, or any old buildings. Where the albion was is modern housing. Phil may be able to wave his magic wand and find a picture
mike

Sue

I posted a photo of Trevor Street last week here,

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10613

It is post no 1432 Trevor Street is on the left of the photo.

The Albion PH was on the corner of Johnson Strret and Trevor St. Here is a photo of the Johnson Street side of the pub. I can't tell you anything about the pub itself as I never used it.

Mike

Abracadabra

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Johnson st Albion .jpg
    Nechells Johnson st Albion .jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 29
You are all abslutely brilliant. Thanks for the info and the photo of the Albion. BTW: Henry Worsey was the brother of Thomas Worsey (famous painter; google him and he'll come up). He was also part of the Worsey canal boat building empire. The Worseys had a dock at Plume Street (now Long Acre Ind Est). The Worseys were also related to Fellow Morton and Clayton through the marriage of Jane Worsey, Henry's aunt.

I remember the Albion in the 60's but as I was was underage was not allowed in. My mother kept the Avenue on the next corner from the Albion. What I do remember though is that the tenancy did belong to Jimmy Dugdale (ex villa player) This caused quite a stir when he took over and the pub attracted quite a few ladies to suddenly take up drinking:D
Michelle

The Albion pub in Aston is on the corner of Aston Road North and Whitehouse Street (pictured in 2nd post). I never knew the pub very well but I was at St. Mary's school with a few kids who lived in Whitehouse Street namely:-
Roy Whitmore
Roger Porter
Dennis Broadmoor
Colin Loyden
Pam Mortiboy
The Wood twins - Johnny and Kenny
Anybody remember them or know of their whereabouts nowadays?

Last edited:
My sister Jo Parker went to St Marys...born 1956....she loved it. Passed 11+ and went on to Hodge Hill Castle Brom so she might remember some of those names.....I'll contact her.
Michelle

Re: Dennis Broadmore

Dennis was my cousin and sadly he passed away in 1986, not really the news you would want to hear.
lynne

I used to live on Trevor St and many a time we used to have races around the block - one going one way up Trevor St and one going the other, up Johnson St - meeting in the middle somewhere - this would be the late 50's. The shop opposite belonged to Mr. Warwick - anyone remember him. He had a little dog...

the albion pub was white house street aston
and chinn and my grand mother and the lloyed also lived yards from it
in white house st aston and the corner is aston rd north
best wishes astonion ;;;;;

hi folks...just looking through this months brummagem mag and there is a lovely pic of the albion pub whitehouse st/aston road north taken in the 50s by the looks of it...if anyone would like me to scan and post it just let me know...

lyn:)

hi folks...just looking through this months brummagem mag and there is a lovely pic of the albion pub whitehouse st/aston road north taken in the 50s by the looks of it...if anyone would like me to scan and post it just let me know...

Yes please Lyn.

Re: Dennis Broadmore

Dennis was my cousin and sadly he passed away in 1986, not really the news you would want to hear.
lynne

Sorry to hear the news about Dennis. He was always a quiet lad with a cheeky smile who somehow used to get into trouble a lot. Many a time I saw him having a scrap in the playground after school. Happy days!

here you go dave..nice shot of a wimpeys van too...

Attachments

• Aston Rd North 1958 The Albion.jpg
    Aston Rd North 1958 The Albion.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 24
hi astoness
what a great photo it brings back vivid memories of Brum in the early 60's so apmospheric looks like winter with gritting on the road.
regards
paul

hi all..here is the same pic as in post 19 but in more detail....the ansells pub on the left is the general havelock....and can you spot the lady sitting on the sill cleaning the windows....just how i remember those days as a youngster....:)thanks to john houghton who sent this to me...

lyn

hi all..here is the same pic as in post 19 but in more detail....the ansells pub on the left is the general havelock....and can you spot the lady sitting on the sill cleaning the windows....just how i remember those days as a youngster....:)thanks to john houghton who sent this to me...

lyn

John, thanks from me too. Have you any more of that area?

I like that photo.Lyn.The standard 8 car approaching looks like mine, I used that garage to fill up every pay day 4 gallon of Cleveland driscol,the alcohol petrol and 2 pints of engine oil...what a wreck,but I got change out of £1.
The General Haverlock was famous for it's floor level,from the door to the bar was a steep hill.The dartboard ran adjacent to the bar...so the bloke with his left leg longer than the other always won.:rolleyes:

lol ray..i do love reading your memories..well and everyones elses of course....the floor level slopping wouldnt have made much difference to me... after a few drinks all the floors look to be on a slope....:D:D

lyn

Hi Dave I have quite a few of this area from Lichfield road to town once my book is finished I will have a sort out there are some very good photographs is there any particular one you are interested in
John H

Hi John,
I would really be over the moon if you had some photos of Bracebridge Street in particular as this is where I was born and bred. I have a little project in mind to have photos from Aston Street to Salford Bridge relating to a map of Aston with off-shoot sections at the main intersections. I'd be glad of anything that would not compromise your book.

Pictures of Bracebridge Street (Aston Road end) to me are like The Vine Pub was to Lyn.

Two pub tokens for the Albion Hotel on Aston Road North. Assume Val Watkins was the landlord/lady. Viv.

image.jpeg

A quick look at The Albion on Aston Road North, I had to turn back towards Dartmouth Circus / Dartmouth Middleway, so didn't want to get too close to it.

Pub sign zoomed in.

Does anyone have any info/stories on the Albion Inn in Aston as my husbands father was a barman there in the 60's? Thanks

If it's the one on Aston Road North , my best man used to be manager there that would be about 68-70 I got married in 1970 , I'm sure he was still there then his name was Bob Hall

Back