• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air raid shelters

An impressive shed made from two Anderson shelters in the garden next to ours can be seen in this pic of my dad below.
Half an Anderson shelter could also be used to sledge down a nearby steep hill Sandy Lane, usually about 10 of us on it with many of us receiving cuts from the sharp edges.
index.php

(only visible if logged in)

Last edited:
From local enquiries, it seems that details of who was where, had what, etc., were gathered by the Police and Council early in the War. Those having a garden got an Anderson Shelter, those without, A Morrison. Many who lived in high intensity areas were allocated to communal Shelters. Those in Rural or 'low risk' areas were told to use cellars or under stairs cupboards. This advice resurfaced decades later in the 'Protect and Survive' leaflets issued when Nuclear War was believed immenant from the 50's onwards, until the collapse of Communism and the Eastern Bloc in the 80's.

Now you've mentioned that Pete I seem to remember something in a 1980s information film about using a Morrison shelter. At the time I remember thinking what a useless load of twaddle! Would do no good whatsoever in the event of nuclear attack. Who were they trying to fool?

Phil, what a magnificent model in the the photo of your dad in post #81. I assume he built it himself. Viv.

Last edited:
Phil, what a magnificent model in the the photo of your dad in post #81. I assume he built it himself. Viv.
From what I remember we were not short of a shelters in our road.
In this wartime photo of another of my dad's model aeroplanes, the top of a brick air raid shelter can just be seen in another garden. The image is a scan from a 3"x2" 'box brownie' photo so quality is not good.
index.php

Some info about the model is posted here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=44591&p=537178#post537178

Last edited:
A dismantled Anderson shelter. I remember having some of the long panels sitting in our garden on their sides like this for years and years, even into the late 1960s. Kept 'just in case' perhaps? Mind you, they'd have been a devil to get rid of. I expect the rag and bone man eventually took them away. Viv.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 68
My grandfather kept his as well. think he used one bit as the sides of a compost heap

I have mentioned in other posts that I still have an underground Anderson. This house used to be a shop and the shelter was shared with next-door too, so it is larger than usual. Unfortunately the previous owners filled it with rubble when they extended the house. I tried, in the past, to explore but it's so dangerous. It used to have a little wooden ladder down but it has rotted. I've got a wire mesh over the entrance to stop the Grandchildren trying to get in! The doorway is quite narrow but my Husband says "You'd squeeze down there if the bombs were dropping!" He is older than me and remembers bombs, thankfully I was born after the War!
rosie.

There was a large public underground shelter on the central reservation of Fox Hollies Road, opposite Hall Green Church. It would have been filled in I guess after the war. I wonder if there are any traces of it beneath the surface? The reason I know about it is because I used to go to the Hall Green youth club which was actually held down in the air raid shelter, after the war was over. A stage had been erected at one end and we often took part in amateur musicals etc. there. Later on the club was moved to the church hall. The rev Chatterton was "in charge". I used to enjoy playing snooker in the back room.

Philm

I wonder if there is a list of extant brick built public air raid shelters the same as the list of WW2 pill boxes which I believe are considered as listed buildings. There must be hundreds of public shelters which have been simply buried under tons of soul rather that go to the cost of knocking them down. If there is not such a list, then I think that there should be such a list.

The air raid shelter we had at the bottom of the garden suffered from ground water seepage , hence needing a small sump in which to insert a bucket. Now that's rising damp!!!

And of course they'd eventually become very rusty. Our dismantled one was very rusty, with rough edges. Not the sort of thing you'd should have lying around with young children climbing all over it. Eh, the good old days. Viv.

Apart from the outdoor Anderson shelter, there was also the 'indoor' Morrison (Herbert Morrison ?) shelter which consisted of a large steel table which you had to assemble and it replaced your dining room table, during the air raid you all got under the table , there where 5 of us, Mom and Dad and my 2 younger sisters and my self (aged 10), it was quite a squash. I often wondered what the criterion was for who got what, could not be a lack of garden as we had quite a lengthy garden, just moved to Shirley in early 1939. Eric

Thanks Eric for mentioning the Table Morrison Shelter, another important shelter. For those unfamiliar with the shelter here's some info :

Table Morrison Shelter designed by John Baker, named after Minister of Home Security, Herbert Morrison:

Shelters came in kits which could be assembled (bolted together) in the home. They
were 2 metres long, 1.2 metres wide and 75 cm tall. It was designed to be slept under at night and used as a table for the rest of the time
it had over 350 parts, but mainly consisted of a steel top (like a table top) and wire mesh sides (one of which could be lifted open and acted as the door. It wasn't designed to survive a direct hit from a bomb, but was effective at protecting people from the effects of a bomb blast. 500,000 shelters were made and they were given free of charge to families who earned less than £350 a year.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Viv.

Alfred Moss - the father of Stirling Moss - designed an earlier version of the Morrison Shelter. Wonder if anyone had one (apart from the Moss family - assuming they had one). Viv.

image.jpeg

My best friend, Isabel Instone who lived in Vicarage Road, Handsworth, had both a Morrison shelter in her living room, plus an Anderson shelter in the garden. It wasn't a very big garden if I remember. I can remember playing in both shelters after the war. My family had neither as we had a hotel which had large cellars, and our family and the guests used to shelter in these during an air raid.
Judy

Viv, do not remember any mesh, perhaps our Dad did not bother to put it on, otherwise it was exactly like pic, Mom had to put 2 table cloths on, one was not big enough. I wondered what happened to it after the war, supposedly collected by some government department. Eric

I don't remember the shelter in place, but do remember sheets of mesh (about 1-1.5 inch or so mesh) in the garden that must have been part of it

Nice to see the photo of the air raid shelter in College Road, that was one of the ones I had in mind, thank you Dave M. One thing that I omitted from my original post was that that it would be important to get these sites photographed.

Back