• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never used to read or even notice adverts when I used to see old trams in the streets but I often look at them now when I see old tram pics on the forum !

Birmingham to London in two and a half days for only 21 shillings. I paid less than that in the 60's and it took about two hours.

Attachments

• Advert 15.jpg
    Advert 15.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 16
The other Advert for Pears Soap I remember used an image of "Bubbles" by John Everett Millais - you can see it HERE.
I suppose the original had a deeper intention - anyway it circuitously brings to mind that the lifetime of a planetary nebula as a fraction of a star's life is about the same as the life of a soap bubble compared to the age of the child who blows it. Now who would have thought that there was a link between Pears Soap and life and death in outer space?!

Plenty of these adverts could be seen in the Birmingham streets in the 1940s and 1950s. We had the magazine delivered and I used to browse through after Dad had looked at it.
New_St_1950.JPG

From old city centre pics on the BHF

Last edited:
Plenty of these adverts could be seen in the Birmingham streets in the 1940s and 1950s. We had the magazine delivered and I used to browse through after Dad had looked at it.
New_St_1950.JPG

From old city centre pics on the BHF here
I wonder how many poster squares it took to paste up & make a complete poster & you can`t even see the joins!!

Smudger, I reckon that poster is approx 18ft high by 24 ft wide. Imagine it would have taken a fair few squares - I'll leave someone else do the sums! Viv.

Last edited:
Smudged, I reckon that poster is approx 18ft high by 24 ft wide. Imagine it would have taken a fair few squares - I'll leave someone else do the sums! Viv.

Viv, lets say each square is 3x3 foot, so if my maths is right, that`s 48 squares. I wonder when they put up a new poster, do they strip the old one away or just paste over it?

Paper sizes were known as crowns, double crowns and quads. The Picture Post advert would have been quad sheets.

Probably around 28 or 32 sheets. Certainly an even number. A quad sheet was the largest that a bill poster would have handled.I cannot remember the size of a quad. Too long ago.

Eddie

Thanks Smudger and Eddie. Don't they paste layers on top of each other and at some point after several layers strip it all off? Viv.

In my estimation you couldn't get much better than Lewis's Food Hall, it was the only place I would have ham on the bone from and I often would buy a whole ham from there. I also would buy half a dozen meat & potato pies from there at a time to last a few days. So now you know "who ate all the pies"

Attachments

• Advert 17.jpg
    Advert 17.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 24
A few adverts from during the last war.

Attachments

• War Advert (4).jpg
    War Advert (4).jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 20
  • War Advert (1).jpg
    War Advert (1).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 19
  • War Advert (2).jpg
    War Advert (2).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 22
  • War Advert (3).jpg
    War Advert (3).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 21
I have often seen pictures of this high class second hand clothing shop on the forum, but I don't believe I have ever seen this advert on here. Miraculously the building still survives today with the name of the original owners "G Makepeace" still intact.

Attachments

• img899[1].jpg
    img899[1].jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 58
I like the Oxo ad too Maria. It would have been very nourishing and an easily transportable, non-perishable food item. Still use it today. You can't beat it.

The world. 'Utility' combined with 'furs' is really a contradiction. Furs were always a luxury item, even at half price they were still nearly £30 in the ad - most people would never have dreamed of or been in the position of spending that sort of money on a coat at that time. Hardly utility! Viv.

Some more wartime adsverts

Attachments

• War Advert 5 (1).jpg
    War Advert 5 (1).jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 22
  • War Advert 6.jpg
    War Advert 6.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 22
  • War Advert 7.jpg
    War Advert 7.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 23
  • War Advert 8.jpg
    War Advert 8.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 21
Some adverts from the BHF Lewis's thread. I didn't need ads to get me in that shop I seemed to go in it every time I went to town. All the ads show prices in 'old money' so they are pre 1971.
lew1.jpeg
Lew2.jpg

lew3.jpeg
here

lew4_.jpeg

lew5.jpg

Last edited:
Makes you laugh some of these old adverts, some poor Tommy, wounded in bed swathed with bandages, what in heavens name did anyone think OXO could do!!!!!.Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Think it harks back to a beef drink Paul, administered to the sick to aid recovery. Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back