• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Acriflavine

Ammonium carbonate
Ammonium carbonate is a salt with the chemical formula2CO3. Since it readily degrades to gaseous ammonia and carbon dioxide upon heating, it is used as a leavening agent and also as smelling salt. It is also known as baker's ammonia and was a predecessor to the more modern leavening agents baking soda and baking powder. It is a component of what was formerly known as sal volatile and salt of hartshorn.
Well Ebay claim to sell it, but that may only be in certain countries.

I was too old, it seems, to qualify for the orange juice, or maybe there was another reason. However, i did like it, if I got the chance to be offered some. Two pages about in this thread:

Sospiri, you mentioned that you can't remember when you had a banana - well, it may have been in 1947 because that was when I tasted my first banana which was probably the time after the War when the banana became available.

Thanks, Anthea. I was sick after my first one - I do remember that - and refused any more for several years. In fact I am not really keen on them now, even though they are grown locally here in Crete and are consequently quite inexpensive. My other half insists I each one occasionally because she says they are a good sauce of potassium. But they still don't go down easily! :)

Maurice

Going on about fruit and the benefits of it.Afew months ago I suddenly took a liking to Grapes,used to get a punnet from Aldi every week,they we're lovely.But after a few weeks I found out I was going to the T let a lot more often,as well has having my normal meals.So stopped having them.Can anyone explain what was in them that caused it.

Lots of fibre and they retains lots of moisture. Just the contents that you need to eat with less friendly items such as bread, Eric. As the old saying goes, "an apple a day.........", but I certainly miss the winter when the majority of soft fruits are not so readily available. Always buy the orange juice with juicy bits, or better still squeeze your own. And don't eat grapefruit if you are taking heart tablets - it has the effect of accentuating the dosage. :cool:

Maurice

Back