• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Acocks Green Junior and Infants School

Matahari

knowlegable brummie
Hi

Could you help me, My husband was a pupil at Acocks Green Juniors and Infants, between 1959-1965, has anyone got any class photos taken around those times, preferably Miss James' class of September 1964/July 65.

This would bring back some very happy memories for him.

Thank you for your help

Matahari.

Here are a couple of photos from my Moms cousin's collection. The cousin's husband was in them

Find%20Reg%202[1].JPG Find%20Reg%201[1].jpg
Acocks Green Infants 1930 Acocks Green Infants 1932

There are a few nice features still visible on the school building such as the 'Girls' entrance sign and the date of the building on the Warwick Road side. Moving along the building on Warwick Road I fully expected to see a 'Boys' entrance sign. But no, the next entrance has 'Cookery' above the entrance. How unusual. Couldn't see any other signs or one for 'Boys'on the Westley Road side either, yet it was a mixed school when it opened its doors in 1909 according to British History Online:

"ACOCK'S GREEN COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Westley Road.(27) Acock's Green Council Sch. opened 1909 by Worcs. C.C. Accom. 1,198 B, G, I. Reorganized 1932 for SM, JM.(21) SM dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.). Accom. 1961: 13 classrooms, 2 halls (28) (see next sch.).

ACOCK'S GREEN COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Westley Road.(27) Became a separate sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). N.o.b. 1961: 390.(27)"

I think there is still a masters house on the Westley Road side, or at least a house connected with the school. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Didn't the singer from the 60s Frank Ifield go to this school, before moving to Coventry, and then Australia?

Back