• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Absent Voters List

Hello

I really would be grateful if any one could help with the following Great Uncle was listed as

1416553 A/M.,D Sec., 10th Hus in the absent voters list....I am afraid all these letters mean nothing to me. I have tried looking up his service number , but could not find it.

I am assuming 10th Hus means 10th Hussars...all help greatly received.

Linda

This is curious, as a 7-digit number dates from no earlier than 1920! And that number would be Royal Garrison Artillery!

10th Hussars - yes, certainly. But "A/M, D Sec" doesn't mean anything connected to 10th Hussars that I can think of.

What an odd and disappointing piece of info.

What was his name, Linda? I'll see if I can find anything.

Hello Chris

Thanks for looking, his name was Harry Richardson. I have checked the number on the absent voters list and it is correct, might it have been from a different year. Did they do them in any other year . I only know of the 1918 one .

I have just looked at the list again, his is the only 7digit number. I wonder if there should be 2 fives in the middle, typers error maybe?

Linda

If anyone has ready access to it, would they mind looking up a man by the name of Conyers Kirby? He became a professional footballer for Fulham and later the Blues. I am not sure of his wartime address but in 1911 was living at 124 Ralph Road in Saltley. I would be grateful for any help on this.

(He was later known as Ralph Kirby - I wonder if that is where his name came from?)

hello chris, sorry, cant see an entry for him in 1918

1912 there are two houses for him, 13 hall rd, and 124 ralph rd. (both have the other address listed as additional residence)
1920 conyers kirby, mary elizabeth kirby, thomas kirby, frederick walter kirby at 13 hall rd.
1922 as above
1925 conyers, mary elizabeth and frederick walter kirby at same address
1945 conyers and elizabeth f kirby at 9 york rd. moseley
1950 as above
1955 as above

in 1918 found these two kirbys at 13 hall rd.

thomas kirby 433085 PTE., 1/2 Mid. M. Bde., F. Amb, R.A.M.C.

frederick walter kirby 130428 R.F.A.

Chris

There are service records for a Conyers Kirby which give his address in 1915 as 30 Beadder? Bradder? Street Mansfield. Born 1894 reg no.5402 Lincoln regiment. Address on discharge in 1919 is 38 Bosling? St Mansfield.

Suzanne

just checked for 1930 and address was again 13 hall rd. saltley, but just mary elizabeth, frederick walter and emla kirby listed at that address

and in 1935 same address - mary elizabeth, frederick walter, emla, and doris emla kirby plus james rigby

Gosh that was all very quick. Thank you so much. Interesting to see two relatives (presumably) in the forces in 1918. There is information to the effect that Conyers served in the RAMC and indeed a man of that name did, but I can't find evidence to definitely link the two. With a name like Conyers Kirby you would think it would be easy, wouldn't you? Oh no, there are several of them!

Could some on look up the abentee electoral roll for Ivor B Needham, The medal card has him enlisted in the Royal Engineers

Many thanks

Ron Rogers

Ivor Bevan Needham, 530562 Spr, 10 T Stores, RE, 143 Waverley road in 1918, and 145 Waverley road in 1919

Hello all

Can someone help please. I am trying to help a mate out and find out the name of the family who was living in his old house, where he was born, during the WW1 era.

He lived at 198 Balsall Heath Road, and his surname is Jones.

Thanks

Terry

hi terry, i cant see 198 balsall heath rd. in 1916 and 1918 for the absent voters list, but in 1920 the occupants were albert and george james

I am begging for a lookup in the 1918 AVL if possible - my sincere thanks in advance.

The man I am looking for is Frank Dodd of 37 Willersey Road, Birmingham 14 although I am not sure of the date he lived there. Previously known to be at 75 Springfield Road, Moseley . He served in the Royal Army Medical Corps and I would like to determine his unit in 1918.

A belated Happy New Year to all.

Thank you, ladylinda. That is indeed the man. Now I have some real work to do, as he was awarded the MM in late 1918 and I don't think it was with 39th Field Ambulance! No one said this would be an easy life, did they?

I have info on a Pte A Harvey, of the South Staffordshire Regt. In January 1917 his home address was 124 Argyle Street, Nechells.

If a forum member has access to the 1918 Absent Voters list could they check the address please. I am trying to find out his full name and number and which battalion he served in.

Thanks

Terry

Thanks for checking Maurice.

The newspaper gives only his initial "A". He had been a POW in Germany and had made an escape after two years captivity. He was on leave and 124 Argyle Street was the address given

Terry

Hi Terry,

Difficult as there is no Nechells Division, the nearest being Duddeston Division and there is no A. HARVEY there. Overall across Birmingham there are around 12 entries which match "A. HARVEY". There is no Absent Voters entry for 124 Argyle Street.

Maurice

Hi Terry, as Maurice said, nothing in 1918, but in 1920 at "142" Argyle Street theres a Frank and Ellen Harvey. Just coincidence or are these family members and you have wrong house number??

What a coincidence Shera

I have just been on Ancestry and found a Frank Harvey who enlisted in 1914 but was soon discharged on medical grounds. His next of kin was his mother Ellen at 142 Argyle st. Checking the Census of 1901 there was another son named Arthur. In the article it says he was a Regular soldier from 1908.

Thus the paper have the wrong address 124 instead of 142.

Thank you very much for checking for me

Terry

i presume you found arthur on the 1911 census in the Infantry 1st Bn South Staffordshire regiment.

Back