• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aberfan Disaster

A few years ago, in the mid 90’s I was working with the Duke of Edinburgh Award in the Brecon Beacons. I was chatting to this old chap who ran an ice-cream van in a layby. He was a local guy, an ex-miner who was one of the first people on the scene and one of the rescue team.

He told me in detail how the mud was liquid as it flowed down off the tip, but then set hard as soon as it stopped moving. He told me ow utterly excusing it was trying to dig people out from this all mix in with wreckage from the building too.

I really wish I had gone back and recorded this mans story.

Sounds a bit like the reaction of quicksand (and chocolate) , which I suppose is a similar system of a high ratio of solids to a relatively small amount of fluid. Must have been terrible working in it

This was posted on a Navy site the other day, (not me)

52 years ago today HMS Tiger was in Cardiff, members of the ships crew were taken to assist with the disaster that was Aberfan, I was one of those matelot's it was a terrible terrible day.
R.I.P. always remembered never forgotten

There are similarities between the Aberfan and Grenfell disasters, not least that both should not have happened. Also the sense that it should not happen again.

Going back to the original post by Norfolk Brummie, the distasteful behaviour of Lord Robens, the head of the NCB at the time, was mentioned.

It is ironic that this guy should be mentioned in connection of Health and Safety.

“In May 1970 Barbara Castle, the Secretary of State for Employment and Productivity, appointed Robens to chair the Committee on Health and Safety at Work, to review legislation in the area and recommend the provisions that should be made for workers and the general public. In 1972 the committee published its findings in the Robens Report which led to the creation of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and the formation of the Health and Safety Commission and the Health and Safety Executive.”

Weren't they due to break up for half-term that afternoon?If only that slide have held for a day,even hours more.

Weren't they due to break up for half-term that afternoon?If only that slide have held for a day,even hours more.

Yes I it was just after they had arrived in the morning, if only it had been later....they would have been home with their families.

Many of our recollections of the Aberfan disaster occur around the time of the aniversary of the event, but the tragic collapse of the dam near the town of Brumadinho in Brasil, on the 25 January 2018, can also be a reminder.

Both disasters involved waste products from mining, both were predictable.

RIP

Back