• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

abbey street...hockley

Hi Alan
Great stuff thanks a million thats the photo i mentioned to Lynn the other missing picture that was on there
when she done it donkeys years ago i remember it as well as i use to pass it day and night and the lads as well
there used to be a chippie across the road from it spent my youth all around that area from one end to the other
And up around the winson green area as well and to carolin thanks for the picture of the factory
lets hope we can get moore of the old ones back best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

Wow how brilliant you all are. My husband is amazed and remembers that factory from his childhood. So many memories as he was only about 6 at the time. Thank you all so much x

Berwood Engineering were at 28 Abbey St in 1965. they later moved to Villa Road & Tenby St

Hi, is it possible to get a map of Abbey St, Lodge Rd and as much surrounding area as you can.

I have met a family member in the past 4 weeks and he has kindly given me some info. But I need a map and I can't get one on Google.

Mikejee, if Berwood Eng was at 28 Abbey St, the Strawbridge Blacksmith was at 20 Abbey Street, what a shame the pic doesn't show the Blacksmith's.

I live in hope. But it's fab to have pics of the Street.

The streets look so interesting back then.

Kat
Do you mean all of Lodge road or the part of Lodge Road near Abbey St. Lodge road was very long, longer than now

Kat I have a reasonably detail map of the late 1800's but its an old Council Engineers Plan on Linen backing. It covers some of the area you mention. Its quite large and I can't copy it but might be able to pick out detail. I think it even shows some post box positions. I'll need to wade through my loft to locate it but if you have a specific I'm happy to have a look, and I can evade some DIY!!! I lived in Abbey Street until 1947, my brother was born there before the war and will probably have some clear memories. Other family lived in Park Road until the 50's.
Dave
PS Some interesting photos in this thread.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info. Wow a map that shows the post box's!!!! Amazing what can be found out!

I mean, I don't want to get you into trouble for evading the DIY, but I would love to see what the map shows for 20 Abbey Street.

Hi Mike

Well I would like to see as much as possible, but if it's too large then just the Abbey Street part. Where can I buy a map because I would like to see as much as possible so I can really understand the area.

That's great, thanks.

I would still like to buy a map though if anyone could tell me where to get one.

I don't think you can buy maps of that magnification. You can access them at the oldmaps site, and they will send you a copy of small areas (at quite a high price). You can buy alan godfrey maps of various years *(at a smaller magnification (1/2500 scale)) up to 1938 at
https://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/birmingham.htm. The ones for Abbey St are the Winson Green & Hockley ones which are at the momment only for 1888 & 1903, though I think they will almost certainly be bringing out a later year edition this year. this is the resolution you get for the 1903 map
ScreenHunter_7111 Jan. 22 00.48.jpg

kat adding to mikes info have you found this map site yet...its brill and very addictive ive spent hours travelling around birmingham...in fact you can go anywhere in the country with it....basically what it does is show you what is there now...you just put in the street/road that you are interested in to see a pre demo map then just slide the blue dot along to fade out the old map and see what is there now...use the + and - icon to the left of the control panel to either magnify or decrease the size...link is below and i have left it on abbey st for you but you can travel around the entire area..you can choose what years you want to see the map for and also change the background map..will take a bit of getting used to but if i can use it anyone can lol i have left it on the 1888 to 1913 map but like i say you can change the years...have fun

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.4937&lon=-1.9224&layers=6&b=1

Last edited:
Arh, Lyn, bless your heart, that's kind of you to think of that and set the link up on Abbey Street.

I will have a look later, thanks Lyn xxx

Kat -Two images of Abbey Street. They are extracts from a Linen Map I have-its a bit large to scan. Its a 1888 original. Fair amount of detail and it ties in with Mikejee's posts above. I have a few words to add later in the week. Dave
Abby St Mid Section.JPG Abby St Railway end.JPG

Kat the" few words" I promised-
Memories of Abbey Street.
What follows is a cocktail of factual information and memories of Abbey Street in the 40’s and mid 50’s as recalled with my brother. Hopefully despite the mists of time and ageing grey matter it gives a reasonable personal view and I have included a few ??’s to mark possibles. I may have posted some of this before but for my ease of typing I have not edited out old information. The Blacksmith undertook shoeing for the GWR cart horses. My brother recalls vividly being allowed by the Blacksmith to watch horses being shod. He often sat on the kerbstones to watch. During WW2 the Blacksmith kept pigs, a donkey and hens-and possibly a goat. No recollection of the Blacksmiths name as the family always mentioned him by his trade. Off the street was a Court- Brighton Place, my brother recalls it housed some families who were “rough but decent people” as were many elsewhere. (Remembering our parents were Edwardians and we were in contact with Grandparents who were Victorian some of the expressions we heard “at our mother’s knee” sound a bit out of place and patronising in the modern world but for them it was contemporary and cultural). We lived at 54; opposite was a shoe repairer or as we called it by an old trade term the “Snobs”. We both recall the amount of Blue Engineering Bricks used on buildings, pavements and yards. On a very dull day this gave a grim image reminiscent of Charles Dickens tales. I remember on our weekly visits in the 50’s after we were rehoused to the very edge of the city the contrast with the green fields and woodland adjacent to our new prefab. We had family around Hockley, some of whom lived in back to backs in Park Road accessed down an entry as can be seen by the maps in other posts. There were typically four dwellings (all back to backs) with a blue brick yard common to all but by, I believe, unspoken understanding it was “divided” into quarters. We recall family events such as coming of age parties where the yard was used for dancing and drinking. All the folk who lived in the four houses attended as well as family and wider neighbours and some yards were at a slope (That wouldn’t work well on Strictly would it!!!) So not as grey/blue and dismal after all but a real valued neighbourhood!!!!! In the yard there would be two buildings a Washhouse and a Toilet Block. Washhouses had a large heated ‘Copper’ in the centre for washing clothes plus a large sink and surface on the back wall of the building for rinsing and scrubbing. A communal facility. The toilet building has six toilets one for each house in the yard plus two for the road side back to backs at the entrance of the Entry. Each toilet had no lighting and a wooden door with a latch-no locks we recall and a high-level cistern with a long chain to flush. Outside on the wall was a dim electric lamp. Rules quite simple -use your own- love spiders-overcome any fear of the dark on a bleak winters night- don’t forget your torch. Character developing for a visitor!!! Inside the properties no toilets or bathrooms-tin baths or public baths!!

The layout of the back to backs had a similar pattern. Eg- In the front (and only) door into the living area, one sash window in the same wall, to one side a range (large black cast iron with a central open fire, heating various ovens (dominated the shared wall with the next property), a cupboard next to it adjacent left. The right-hand wall just that. Far wall had in one corner a door leading to a small area with a sink, cold slab and window to an entry plus open steps to the cellar (don’t step back without thinking!!!!). The cellar had a grating to the yard for coal deliveries. Back to the living area in the other corner a door, sometimes up a step or two opening out to stairs. Bedroom off on the first floor, likewise on the second and on up to the attic/bedroom. One bedroom for the parents, one for the girls and the other for the boys. Other properties eg some in Abbey Street. Front door from street into living room, window to street, door to room behind with window to rear garden/yard, door to kitchen. Outside toilet and storage area. Cellar. Upstairs two rooms possibly an attic above.

My brother vividly remembers watching troop trains at the time of Normandy. Troops from UK, Commonwealth and USA. Sheltering in the Anderson Shelter. Having to seek public shelters when the Anderson shelter was flooded. Shrapnel falling (pitter pattering) on roofing tiles and in the roads. A shell cap just missing Mom as she left the toilet in the yard. A landmine hitting The Conservative Club (?) and not exploding (otherwise I wouldn’t be relating this story!!!), on he thinks the same night one fell on the other side of the railway viaduct on Ellen Street School killing the occupants of the shelter. The fire watchers being called off the roof at Lucas’s because of the ferocity of the raid (Dad came home through the bombing!!). A Bren gun on the roof of Lucas’s (?).

People- Martin Wood (may have become a Police Officer), his elder sister Ivy may have been a Bus Conductress, Diane Harvey -may have gone to live in The Haigh when married but did not like it and returned, Turner, Coton, Resuggan…. There was a Fish and Chip shop opposite Nortons on the junction of Icknield St and The Flat- faint memories of the daughter an actress who went to Hollywood- may be so!!

There was an M&B outdoor in Abbey Street I think. I remember going to it, or one nearby with my cousin to collect a jug of beer (Mild), a cotton lace doily on top. About 15 or so family members still reside in Hockley-Key Hill to be precise. Hope some gives you an idea of the area.

DJRVST,
Regarding the blacksmith's name. You asked that question in post 9 and post 10 says who it was, Ernest Strawbridge - that was in 1940 - so you memory can now be jogged. ;)
The world you write of seems a thousand years back, but I know many here will relate to it.

Thanks Dave, I will have a detailed read later, great maps too. I appreciate the time it has taken to record your memories.

Just had a detailed read Dave, very interesting.

Great to read about how life was in Birmingham, but I feel very privileged to be reading how life was in a street where my relations lived by people that lived there, so thank you and your Brother for providing me with the information.

Kat the" few words" I promised-
Memories of Abbey Street.
What follows is a cocktail of factual information and memories of Abbey Street in the 40’s and mid 50’s as recalled with my brother. Hopefully despite the mists of time and ageing grey matter it gives a reasonable personal view and I have included a few ??’s to mark possibles. I may have posted some of this before but for my ease of typing I have not edited out old information. The Blacksmith undertook shoeing for the GWR cart horses. My brother recalls vividly being allowed by the Blacksmith to watch horses being shod. He often sat on the kerbstones to watch. During WW2 the Blacksmith kept pigs, a donkey and hens-and possibly a goat. No recollection of the Blacksmiths name as the family always mentioned him by his trade. Off the street was a Court- Brighton Place, my brother recalls it housed some families who were “rough but decent people” as were many elsewhere. (Remembering our parents were Edwardians and we were in contact with Grandparents who were Victorian some of the expressions we heard “at our mother’s knee” sound a bit out of place and patronising in the modern world but for them it was contemporary and cultural). We lived at 54; opposite was a shoe repairer or as we called it by an old trade term the “Snobs”. We both recall the amount of Blue Engineering Bricks used on buildings, pavements and yards. On a very dull day this gave a grim image reminiscent of Charles Dickens tales. I remember on our weekly visits in the 50’s after we were rehoused to the very edge of the city the contrast with the green fields and woodland adjacent to our new prefab. We had family around Hockley, some of whom lived in back to backs in Park Road accessed down an entry as can be seen by the maps in other posts. There were typically four dwellings (all back to backs) with a blue brick yard common to all but by, I believe, unspoken understanding it was “divided” into quarters. We recall family events such as coming of age parties where the yard was used for dancing and drinking. All the folk who lived in the four houses attended as well as family and wider neighbours and some yards were at a slope (That wouldn’t work well on Strictly would it!!!) So not as grey/blue and dismal after all but a real valued neighbourhood!!!!! In the yard there would be two buildings a Washhouse and a Toilet Block. Washhouses had a large heated ‘Copper’ in the centre for washing clothes plus a large sink and surface on the back wall of the building for rinsing and scrubbing. A communal facility. The toilet building has six toilets one for each house in the yard plus two for the road side back to backs at the entrance of the Entry. Each toilet had no lighting and a wooden door with a latch-no locks we recall and a high-level cistern with a long chain to flush. Outside on the wall was a dim electric lamp. Rules quite simple -use your own- love spiders-overcome any fear of the dark on a bleak winters night- don’t forget your torch. Character developing for a visitor!!! Inside the properties no toilets or bathrooms-tin baths or public baths!!

The layout of the back to backs had a similar pattern. Eg- In the front (and only) door into the living area, one sash window in the same wall, to one side a range (large black cast iron with a central open fire, heating various ovens (dominated the shared wall with the next property), a cupboard next to it adjacent left. The right-hand wall just that. Far wall had in one corner a door leading to a small area with a sink, cold slab and window to an entry plus open steps to the cellar (don’t step back without thinking!!!!). The cellar had a grating to the yard for coal deliveries. Back to the living area in the other corner a door, sometimes up a step or two opening out to stairs. Bedroom off on the first floor, likewise on the second and on up to the attic/bedroom. One bedroom for the parents, one for the girls and the other for the boys. Other properties eg some in Abbey Street. Front door from street into living room, window to street, door to room behind with window to rear garden/yard, door to kitchen. Outside toilet and storage area. Cellar. Upstairs two rooms possibly an attic above.

My brother vividly remembers watching troop trains at the time of Normandy. Troops from UK, Commonwealth and USA. Sheltering in the Anderson Shelter. Having to seek public shelters when the Anderson shelter was flooded. Shrapnel falling (pitter pattering) on roofing tiles and in the roads. A shell cap just missing Mom as she left the toilet in the yard. A landmine hitting The Conservative Club (?) and not exploding (otherwise I wouldn’t be relating this story!!!), on he thinks the same night one fell on the other side of the railway viaduct on Ellen Street School killing the occupants of the shelter. The fire watchers being called off the roof at Lucas’s because of the ferocity of the raid (Dad came home through the bombing!!). A Bren gun on the roof of Lucas’s (?).

People- Martin Wood (may have become a Police Officer), his elder sister Ivy may have been a Bus Conductress, Diane Harvey -may have gone to live in The Haigh when married but did not like it and returned, Turner, Coton, Resuggan…. There was a Fish and Chip shop opposite Nortons on the junction of Icknield St and The Flat- faint memories of the daughter an actress who went to Hollywood- may be so!!

There was an M&B outdoor in Abbey Street I think. I remember going to it, or one nearby with my cousin to collect a jug of beer (Mild), a cotton lace doily on top. About 15 or so family members still reside in Hockley-Key Hill to be precise. Hope some gives you an idea of the area.

My husband remembers a factory which made ball bearings ? Don't know if this was it. He used to pick them up in the street and play marbles with them
Hi there. I thought we were the only Newton family in the street. We were a family of 10 but can’t remember the door number. My mother Vera worked at the pub up the road as a cleaner and my father was called Fred. We lived there from about 1963 to 1970. We used to go to the warehouse at the top of the road to get shoes on coupons. And we went to all saints school. My best friend was Wendy goodwin lived in park road and we knew the Calder family very well. In fact one of their sons Steven Calder lives in rednal by one of my sisters who married the Ellis boy who lived across the road from us.

Back