• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A very British History BBC Four 18/2/19

Radiorails

master brummie
Someone connected with the Wythall Transport Museum advised Members about the programme saying that many 1950/1960 era photos and film could be seen. Emphasis was made, naturally, on the buses that would be featured.
Early in the programme there were many of the BCT post war buses and the 'Standards'. Some older Midland Red;s were also to be seen.
However, I watched the programme right through and it was interesting. It gave insight to a Birmingham I had only seen from the fringe and in the early fifties that was just beginning to become a feature in the cities life. The mention that many of those coming to the city were employed on the cities buses reminded me of how unusual it seemed at the time. I guess without the frequent newcomers to the city since WW2 the cities transport system would have struggled to operate.

In the programme there are many clips from the film “The Colony” by Philip Donnellan produced in 1964. There are several shots of Birmingham including a couple of good panoramas . Around 42 mins in the programme there is a visit to Aston Hall.

(The Colony is available on IPlayer.)

Back