• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A BUTCHERS ON WITTON ROAD.

R

Rod

Are the Lights/Lites the lungs,heart etc. I used to fetch errands for a pensioner down our street, she asked me to fetch lights for the many cats she looked after.

Lights/Lites

I think the lights/lites, were the respiratory system...lungs and windpipe, I remember having to obtain some for a school biology session.
The heart was sold separate, because I think it was stuffed and cooked and was quite a treat.
Tripe did it for me..............it looked so lovely uncooked..like it had been washed up on the beach by the sea.......but when cooked it looked slimey and the smell was something else...my Mom loved it!

My dad love tripe, and chitterlings - ugh.

Which butchers Dave, it sounds as though it was next to Redferns chip shop. At least it was Redferns in my day, Near to the XRay.

I used to eat chitterlings and bread and butter exery Saturday dinnertime, mom used to buy them from Avrils on Newton Row. :roll:

My Dad used to draw a chicken every Christmas when we were young the insides were yellow. Chitterling i loved them when i was young we used to buy them from the pork butchers on Rookery Road, i had some recently they were not the same, not fatty enough :D Good fat then = bad fat now :cry:

That's the shop I meant. My mom bought her meat there for years. I passed by today, it's gone, as have all of the other shops that we knew. :cry:

I remember not long ago on the radio here in Oz, the presenter was asking a listener if she knew how to "dress" a chicken. "Of course I can" she replied "After you have thawed it out you take out the plastic bag from inside before you cook it" and she was SERIOUS !

Yes as children we used to have brains on toast :roll: i doubt you can buy them now i still however love soft roe on toast, could never get on with stuffed heart found it to strong. :?

I loved and still eat heart, it has a flavour and texture all of it's own, and isn't really comparable to other meats. I havent had stuffed hearts since mom passed away, I can never remember how she did it.

Yes my brother complains that he has not had s.heart since Mom passed away .She used to stuff them with stuffing and pot roast them slowly.

Dave, I guess you were the yob. I worked at a butchers in Hockley Brook when I was at school in the 50's. Later when I left school I worked in Farm Street. Although it was the 1950's, the way you were treated was more like the 1850's. When I was not called Yob, I was called Brian, the name of the last Yob who got the sack for fiddling the till and who I replaced. When I left to get a job at Wolf Electric in Handsworth, I was sneered at, 'He's getting a job in a factory, lady', the customers were told and I had to write a note to put in the window for my replacement: 'Smart boy wanted'. I started on £3 a week and got £4 10s after three years. My replacement started on £4 10s. I spent many a happy hour dressing chickens in the back. It was in the mid 50's that chicken's became available cheaply.

horsemeat

Dave, I do believe it was not legal to sell horsemeat. However, someone told me that there was a licensed horsemeat shop somewhere in Digbeth. Maybe our historians can confirm. The first time that I went 'On the continent', we were served "steak" and it was beautiful. I found out later that it was horsemeat, but I have to say, I prefered it to beef. I now own three horses, but whenever I'm feeling a bit peckish I look at the carving knife and then at the horses and think "Shall I or not". :lol:

How could you Fran. :D We've got a horse, a very old lady now, she said she aint going to be nobody's cheval on a plate. :roll:

Dave had mom known her frindly butcher sold horse meat she would have turned to browns at Witton cirlcle and stuck with their pork. Was Ray in the shop when you were there?

Back