• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A bit tacky?

Very sad why is it being sold is the church being demolished. If it's being refurbed it should stay where it is.

Unfortunately these days many churches to not have a congregation. I hope this stone goes somewhere where it can be viewed by the public and not locked away in some millionaires mansion.

Unfortunately these days many churches no longer have a congregation. I hope this stone goes somewhere where it can be viewed by the public and not locked away in some millionaires mansion.

In two minds about this, what is worse saved by a purchaser or destroyed with a demolition sledge hammer.

I feel it would have been a good alternative to offer this to someone who had held the church close to their hearts but maybe this was not practical. Recycling of this sort of object could result in it original meaning being lost. I once saw a fireplace made of Marble blocks. Looked great but was then told they were originally Grave Kerb stones that had been removed to enable the cemetery to be grassed over.

I expect that because a replica of the Hingley Titanic anchor was made for display in Netherton that someone (has the church building been sold for redevelopment?) thought that the stone would attract some value. They priced it too high and it did not sell, so expect it to be readvertised at a lower price later.
Certainly better to be saved than smashed to rubble, butnot at a greedy price.

I agree with your sentiments Lloyd. I do think greed came into this and hope it is sold to someone who will put it on public display later?. Jean.

Back