• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood

O

O.C.

Great to see a forum member Graham Twist go to print
Carl Chinn wrote the forward and its got some pretty good pics in
Wonderful stuff so keep the good work coming Graham as I know ya Ma would be proud of ya

https://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9780750949651

A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood is a fascinating recollection of the experience of growing up in the slums of Nechells and Aston. All the harshness of daily life is remembered here by local author Graham Twist. Despite hard living conditions and a distinct lack of money, a strong community spirit prevailed and families and neighbourhoods were close-knit. The womenfolk in particular took great pride in their homes, however humble, and scrubbed their front steps and swept the areas in front of their houses religiously. In these tough times you hoped nobody noticed you going to the 'pop shop' to pawn precious valuables to get enough money to pay the rent or buy food for the family.

Brilliant news well done Graham and thank you Crommie for letting us all know about the book.
I for one will try and purchase a copy before they are all snaffled up by forum members and sold out.
There must be something in the name 'GRAHAM' as this is the third Graham, all members of this forum whom I wish to congratulate for contributing something special to our Birmingham history through their hard work, determination and brilliance.

Graham Knight
Graham Twist
Graham Webb

Pom

Thanks Graham :) For alerting us to this "must get" book,,
I shall certainly be getting one,, Well wife or daughter will for me( i don,t shop :cool: JohnY

Wendy,

When I opened up this thread and read Graham's notification about this book my first thoughts were "how can I get a copy?" Thanks for the link Wendy and thanks to 'Pom' for remembering all those Grahams, (sounds like an ad for cornflakes):D

and thanks to 'Cromwell' for taking the time to put Graham Twist's book on here.:thumbsup:

Hello Cromwell and fellow Forum members,
Thank you so much for your kind remarks about the book. It is the sort of thing that in my opinion anyone of a certain age could have written. We were all in the same boat, skint, poor, needy, but all with that strongest of feelings of belonging whether it be to family or street we all knew who we were and what was expected of us.

This book was written from the one place no one can take away from me, and that is the Heart of a Brummy.

Thank you all

Graham V Twist.

hi have just ordered the book on the tesco site due to be published on the 29 may pre publish price is £9/09
33bus
tom:)

Last edited:
Graham, I hope that when you are on the Carl Chinn Show in June you give the Birmingham History Forum a plug............
and ya Ma would be in her oil tot....and so proud of ya

I don't know you, but i do wish you all the luck with your book...Cat

Let us know Graham when you are on Carl's show, as I sometimes miss it! I wish you every success with your book.

If anyone orders the book, or any other on the list at the WH smith website before 2,00pm today will get 15% off

Hello folks,
My book s publishing has been put back to September due to the Publishers moving premises etc. I am disappointed to say the least, but thats the way things are. If and when I get more information about a date I will post it here.
Many regards,
Graham V Twist.

Sorry to hear the date has been delayed Graham, I can put it on the site calendar when you know the date. Please let me know, Wendy

Is Graham Twist OK as he has just got over cancer (he was on the TV the other night )

Hello folks,
I have just been told that my book will be out this coming week. 18th August onwards. It has been a long time in coming and I only hope it will please the readers.

Once again thank you to all those interested people.

Graham V Twist.

grahams book is finally on its way so Tesco books have informed me
im already getting withdrawal symptoms by NOT receiving their daily apologies for the date of publication being put back .one every day since 19th of June (i think) looking forward to reading it
33bus:)
tom

Back