• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Albert Frederick Rabbitt died Mesopotamia 1916

illjaorterpa

proper brummie kid
Hi

Just found a relative who was killed in action during WW1 in north africa. Albert Frederick Rabbitt (14113)(Sergeant) died 19.4.1916 - 9th battalion Worcestershire Regiment. The commonwealth war graves commission state that he is on a memorial in Basra (obviosuly cant visit there) but how do I find out if he is on a war memorial in this country. The family are from Birmingham and in 1911 census he lived with his parents at Myrtle Place, Pershore Road. When I am next up there I would love to visit somewhere and remember him and what he did for us all. However I have no idea how the war memorials in towns and villages work would he be on one in Birmingham or Worcester?

I also have another relative from Birmingham called Job Law for some reason he joined the Canadian army in WW1 and was killed in France. i know where his grave is Normandy but wondered as he fought in an army of another country would that mean he wouldnt be a war memorial over here even if he was from Birmingham. Any thougths, advice etc much appreciated.

Re: 9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Albert Frederick Rabbitt died Mesopotamia 1

Mesopotamia is not in North Africa illjaorterpa, but is modern day Iraq, the fighting there against the Ottoman Turk was extremley brutal, together with desease, and lack of water quite harrowing, I believe The Royal Worcesters do have a museum in Worcester, but of course they are still in excistence, as the W&SF, or "woofers", to us old soldiers, "Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regt". I hope you find out some more information its so nice to honour these brave young men who died long ago.
regards
paul

Re: 9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Albert Frederick Rabbitt died Mesopotamia 1

Hi there is a Sergeant Fred Rabbit Worc Reg mentioned in the book 'The Roll of Honour of Birmingham men & woman who gave their lives in the Great War' This means that Arthur is remembered in the Hall of Memory Broad Street Birmingham.

Tony

Hi tony
they was the good old pinoneers of the early years of the english army way back then and yes they do have a history
but people have tended to forget them as there may be one or two old soldiers are still living beleive it or not today
there was an office for them down on pershore rd its was a branch office where there finance office was kept and the office of accounts was kept
best widshes astonion

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you Arkrite, for giving the details of the Worcs Regiment site, I will study it with interest as I have a Gt Uncle William Henry Green who was in the 1st Battalion & was KIA 13/03/1915 he was just 21 years old.....

Margaret.

Thanks everyone for the help, information and geography lessons!

Hi
Both Fred & Job are remembered in the book 'The Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War'. This means that their names are also Commemorated in Birmingham Hall of Memory Broad Street.

Tony

Back