• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

61squadron july1944

GLADI

master brummie
My Cousin Gerald Postins from Hockley was in the Raf and killed returning from a raid , he was in a Lancaster bomber aircraft noLM452 CODE QR-T 61 sqd
He was married to a girl named Nora from Skellingsthorpe there were two survivers of that crash a Peter Brosko and Sgt RG McMillian, Paul brosko according to records was taken prisoner and then shot while Sgt McMillian of the RCanadian airforce became a prisoner of war In Bankau,
I wonder if there any one out there who was in this squadron I would love to see a photo of my cousin unfortunatly we lost track with his wife, and his brother. there was only one other brit on the flight a Pilot Macpherson from Shrewsbury.
My Cousin is buried in Choloy war cemetary France
Gladi

Hello Gladi (& dennis) …

Re: Peter Paul BROSKO J/28773 F/O Nav RCAF of Lancaster LM452 QR-T of 61 Sqn RAF

… I have some data on this officer, if you would like to get in touch please.

I can advise that the senior German police officer that shot Flying Officer Brosko was found guilty of a war crime & hanged.

I look forward to hearing from you.

QRroger
Lincoln

Thanks QRroger for info, I did find that info in a book titled footprints in the Sands of Time, have been onto Google,
if you have any more info I would be pleased to hear from you.
Gladi

Thanks for your emails Gladi - I will reply directly & give some info here for the benefit of other readers.

Firstly, apologies as I forgot to mention our website ...

https://50-61squadron.com/

Secondly, you can obtain the records on Flying Officer BROSKO from the National Archives (nationalarchives.gov.uk) inc. photos for a small fee (not sure what that is, as I've only had 2sheets A4 re my dad's combat report) ... you can d/load or have the info mailed on a CD.

Thirdly, the BBMF Lanc PA474 was until recently coded as QR (61Sqn) so plenty of pics available. (Other pics I've collected generally - I'll email direct to you).

Lastly, I'd be interested to know more re Gerald's wife (Skellingthorpe is minutes away, & I often have a pub lunch there). Also I've checked the `geonames' site re Peter BROSKO & not come up with anything as yet. (Canada names some of their geo features after lost aircrew e.g. Lake Brosko). I'd be interested to learn of F/O Brosko's family in Toronto.

QRroger
50/61 Sqn Assoc/LINCOLN

Hi QRroger,
thanks for all the info i will email direct but for other members of this site, a Brummie may like details of my cousins family Gerald Postins was born in Lodge Rd Hockley Bham to Harold and Elsie Postins (Jarvis) he had an elder brother named Donald,
We cannot find out which school theywent to so perhaps someone on the site would know Gerald he was just 22 when he was killed returning from a raid in Germany.
the 61Sqn site is very usefull, and informative.
Gladi

So pleased you decided on joining the family Gladi! So few of the veterans left now - & considering only 1 in 3 would have survived their tour of ops. I read last night of a claim that during the first 6m of 1944 some 71% of aircrew would be lost - unfortunately they didn't reference the source.

I have a digital copy of the QR-Nan & VN-George photo - will email later.

I've had chance to go thro the Pierrepont book (FIELDING, S Pierrepont: a family of executioners) & although I find that Albert Pierrepont did execute the Luftwaffe men responsible for Sgt Webb's killing, there is no reference to an execution of F/O Brosko's killer, Frederick Kramer.

If you haven't found it already - please enter Gerald's details here ...

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

... & you'll find that a volunteer from the US has entered the crew of LM452/QR-T into the Choloy War Cemetery database. I believe the crew are buried (there is a photo) in the long row immediately left of the Cross of Sacrifice i.e. looking from the entrance gate.

Correction: apologies for my error - of course Kramer wouldn't be on Pierrepont's list ... he was executed by firing squad!

Hi QRroger
I am finding the link to my cousin very emotional, as so many brave chaps made the ultimate sacrifice, as you said so few still alive today, I did find out that Geralds was only married a few months before he was killed, her maiden name was Hilton, I am going down that line so when you are out dining you may come across the name.

Just a little note from our archives for you Gladi.

From a letter sent to the mother of pilot Peter PRITCHARD (age 19) F/O 61 Squadron RAF ...

“Dear unknown relations of the English airman Pritchard. With the deepest feelings of compassion I send you, who are unknown to me, a last message from the airman Pritchard … Pritchard’s body was washed to our beautiful shore one fine summer’s day in 1941. Gently he was, by Danish hands, put on the grass and soon the ground all around him was decorated with flowers – red ones, white ones, blue ones – for we knew indeed that he was a friend of ours, although unknown to us. We should have liked to bury him ourselves in Danish earth. But the Germans came to take charge of the funeral … We were not allowed to decorate the tomb with wreaths and flowers, because in this way we showed our sympathy with the English. Nevertheless flowers and wreaths appeared there, more that the Germans could take away, and at last they gave up … Now the tomb is decorated by friendly hands – as if it were one of our own, especially at Church festivals and every Saturday evening throughout the summer – as is the custom in this country … Pritchard fell for his country in the fight against Nazi tyranny, but he also fell for our freedom. So we are thankful to him, and to you, that are unknown to us.”

Thank you, QRroger and Gladi, for continuing your moving dialogue in this public forum, rather than hiding it away in Private Messages.

Chris

Thanks for that moving letter, I am sure it gave a great deal of comfort to that poor lads mother,and it proves that there is kindness in this world we live in.
Gladi

This is part of "The History of Albert Pierrepoint" -- It was agreed that Albert Pierrepoint would conduct the executions and on 11 December he flew to Germany for the first time to execute the eleven, plus two other Germans convicted of murdering an RAF pilot in the Netherlands in March 1943?. Len.

For the purpose of clarification.

There is no Albert PIERREPONT element to 61 Squadron Lancaster LM452 QR-T. The killer of Flying Officer Peter BROSKO was a policeman - Leutnant Frederick KRAMER was executed by firing squad 09Jan1947.

The possible Pierrepont element was my error, a presumption that Kramer had an appointment with Pierrepont - given that at the time I was looking into the loss of 61 Squadron Lancaster ME595 QR-R (recoded as QR-Y following battle damage repairs from the infamous Nuremberg raid 30/31Mar44) and the killing of Sgt Cyril WEBB. Luftwaffe Major Wilhelm DINGE and two senior NCOs, Stabsfeldwebel George GAWLICZEK & Stabsfeldwebel Josef BUSSEM, were executed by Albert Pierrepont 14Nov1947.

The Albert Pierrepont element referred to by lencop flows from the `Almelo Trial’ regarding the killing of Flying Officer Gerald HOOD 100 Sqn RAF by Georg Otto SANDROCK & Ludwig SCHWEINBURGER of a SD (intelligence branch of the SS) unit. Albert Pierrepont `met’ Sandrock & Schweinburger on 13Dec1945.

The trial report is an interesting read:
www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/Law-Reports_Vol-1.pdf
The Almelo Trial (pp35-45)

A feature of the trial was that of `collective responsibility’ - there were actually 4 accused, 2 executed & 2 got 15 years.

The Judge Advocate (also JA for the `Great Escape’ trial) ruled …

“If people were all present together at the same time, taking part in a common enterprise which was unlawful, each one in their own way assisting the common purpose of all, they were all equally guilty in law.”

What happened to that reasoning in present day courts?

my update for those interested, in my family searce of my cousin Gerald Postins 61Sqd RAF.
I have with the help of QRRoger been in touch with the 50/61 Sq Assoc, and through them have obtained a roll of honour 1939-1945, 1002 Air crew and ground staff are listed,as I went through the list my cousins name was there, we will remember not just Gerald but all those who gave so much.
my searce goes on and my interest with the Squadron continues, my cousins wife remarried in the 50's , my ambition now god willing is to visit the squadrons memorial and to visit his grave in France.I would also like to find out what happened to the only crew member a Canadian who survived, I know he was a P.O.W in Stalag Bankau
my thanks to QR Roger and 50/61Squaron Assoc.
Gladi

my update for those interested, in my family searce of my cousin Gerald Postins 61Sqd RAF.
I have with the help of QRRoger been in touch with the 50/61 Sq Assoc, and through them have obtained a roll of honour 1939-1945, 1002 Air crew and ground staff are listed,as I went through the list my cousins name was there, we will remember not just Gerald but all those who gave so much.
my searce goes on and my interest with the Squadron continues, my cousins wife remarried in the 50's , my ambition now god willing is to visit the squadrons memorial and to visit his grave in France.I would also like to find out what happened to the only crew member a Canadian who survived, I know he was a P.O.W in Stalag Bankau
my thanks to QR Roger and 50/61Squaron Assoc.
Gladi
Hi Gladi, Thank you and QRRodger for posting this information.
To intruduce myself, I am niece to Gerald Postins. I am currently researching family history since my father Donald Postins, Gerald's brother has recently turned 90. I was delighted to find your posts and information which has led me to discover Gerald on the International Bomber Command Centre 'Losses Database', but also concerned since you posted them 13 years ago now. I was unaware that my paternal grandparents had any siblings. My father has now told me that his father had at least one brother, and my sister thought he had 4 or 5 brothers so I hope you are still on this forum so I can learn more about you and your family too! I have two photographs of my uncle Gerald. He is on his own in one, and with his Canadian crew in the other.

A warm welcome to the Forum, Rufus.

GLADI is still a registered member of the Forum but has not logged in since 2014. Let's hope that he/she picks up your recent post.

I am sure that other members of the Forum would be very interested to see the images of Gerald Postins, if you would be kind enough to post them.

Chris

Back