• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

52 St Luke’s Road 1911, The Grand Turk

illjaorterpa

proper brummie kid
Hi

My great grandfather and grandfather lived at this address ( 52 St Luke’s Road) in 1911 census. I think it was a pub could someone have a look and see if the name of the pub is available? Not sure what other details can be found in the Trade directories but any information would be new to me?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1912 52 St Lukes Rd was recorded as a Beer Retailer. A Mr John Porter, I'm afraid there was no name for a public house.

Phil

On the Electoral Rolls in 1922 it is listed as The Grand Turk with a John James Porter and Lillian Porter listed there.
1918 a John Percy Porter ( J/31619, AB, HMS VividRN) listed on Absent Voters list at The Grand Turk.
Hope this helps.

Thank you - yes they are my great grandparents and granddad who was off in the navy. Glad to know the name of the pub.

Hi

My great grandfather and grandfather lived at this address ( [FONT=&quot]52 St Luke’s Road) [/FONT]in 1911 census I think it was a pub could someone have a look and see if the name of the pub is available? Not sure what other details can be found in the Trade directories but any information would be new to me?

Many thanks
Hi
In 1945 I was born at 52 St Lukes Road. I lived there with my parents and my grand-parents.I also was told the house had been a former pub but didn't know the name.Im very interesred to know if you have any more information about this building?
I'm also interested to know what was the surname name of your grandfather.

How interesting that you lived there. My great grandfather who ran the pub on 1911 census was John Porter, he wife Lillian (Nee Upton), their children Percy (my grandfather), Eva and Daisy.ALso resident was the bar maid Agnes Horton. Lilian died in 1929 and John married the barmaid and they moved to West Brom and ran a cafe called the Clock Cafe near the bus station. Looking at Google street view I see that they have all been knocked down now! Hope this helps.

How interesting that you lived there. My great grandfather who ran the pub on 1911 census was John Porter, he wife Lillian (Nee Upton), their children Percy (my grandfather), Eva and Daisy.ALso resident was the bar maid Agnes Horton. Lilian died in 1929 and John married the barmaid and they moved to West Brom and ran a cafe called the Clock Cafe near the bus station. Looking at Google street view I see that they have all been knocked down now! Hope this helps.
Hi
It is all very interesting but l don't know when my grand parents first moved into St Lukes road. My grand mothers name was Leah Cobley and my parents were Molly and Albert Cobley. I believe it was my fathers home with his brother before he married.

In 1911 my grandfather lived nearby at 30 St. Lukes Rd. He was William Smith a baker. I am looking on the site for pictures or other references to the street for the time he lived there.

My mother in law grew up in St Lukes Road near the church. I'm helping her record her memories before they're lost if anyone has any images they are willing to share.

Here are four photos of St Lukes Rd and one of it's junction with Hanover Street, hope they are of some use to you.

Attachments

• Highgate St Lukes Rd - Hanover St 1960  .jpg
    Highgate St Lukes Rd - Hanover St 1960 .jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Highgate St Lukes Rd - Hanover St 1960 .jpg
    Highgate St Lukes Rd - Hanover St 1960 .jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Highgate St Lukes Rd  St Lukes Tavern.jpg
    Highgate St Lukes Rd St Lukes Tavern.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Highgate St Lukes Rd 1969 .jpg
    Highgate St Lukes Rd 1969 .jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Balsall Heath St Lukes Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath St Lukes Rd.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 38
It is all very interesting but l don't know when my grand parents first moved into St Lukes road. My grand mothers name was Leah Cobley and my parents were Molly and Albert Cobley. I believe it was my fathers home with his brother before he married.
Albert John Cobley was listed at 52 St Lukes Road in 1939-1945 together with Harry Alexandria Cobley,James Cyril Fitzgerald and Leah Fitzgerald.
1947-1950 at 52 St Lukes Road
Albert John Cobley,James C Fitzgerald, Leah Fitzgerald and Molly Cobley
1955 52 St Lukes Road
Albert John Cobley,James C Fitzgerald and Molly Cobley
1960 at 52 St Lukes Road
James C Fitzgerald, Alice V Davis
1960 at 360 Olton Boulevard East
Albert John Cobley,Molly Cobley and Michael Fitzgerald

For anyone that maybe interested, I've been chatting to my mother-in-law and her story is that she was born in 1940 as Irene Inman in Summer Lane. She moved to St Luke's Road in about 1945. Her parents were Wilfred William (Bill) and Martha (Phyllis) Inman. Irene has an older sister, Iris, a younger brother, Bryan (Bn. 1947) and even younger twin brother and sister, Cathy and Philip.
Initially she lived in the square on the opposite corner to St Luke's church behind the shops on Bristol Street in the back to backs. Theirs was the one next to the shared toilets. When she was a bit older the family moved across the road to a slightly bigger house a few doors down from the church.
She remembers her dad drinking at the St Luke's Tavern that was known as the Busted Boot and as she got older she used to got to the Sun Pub with her future husband Paddy Smith.
If this interests anyone, or anyone remembers the family, let me know and I'll add as much as I can elicit from her.

Back