• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

48th Anniversary of The Beatles playing in Kings Heath.

lowart

proper brummie kid
Next Tuesday is the anniversary of The Beatles playing their rearranged booking at The Ritz in Kings Heath in 1963. Does anyone have memories of the event? I would love to hear them!

"I was there", it was pouring with rain that night we all got soaked and Kings Heath came to a standstill, The Ritz was packed and we only got in because my mates brother was on the door. As we were more Rolling Stone than Beatles we possibly didn't appreciate them that much.

Colin

Next Tuesday is the anniversary of The Beatles playing their rearranged booking at The Ritz in Kings Heath in 1963. Does anyone have memories of the event? I would love to hear them!

Well I was there, but other than remembering them dressed in black, and playing mainly Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly numbers, thats it.

When I was writing the book 'Brum Rocked' I sat with Joe Regan in the Ritz where he gave to me his recollection of that night in Feb. 1963. The Beatles should have been there three weeks earlier as they were booked to do the Ritz following their stint at the Old Hill Plaza. That was the night they made their tv debut on 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' doing 'Please Please Me'. However a bad fall of snow made the journey from Old Hill to Kings Heath impossible so they went back to Liverpool. They re scheduled and arrived at the Ritz on the Sunday afternoon. Joe made them tea and sandwiches and then realised that there were only three Beatles in attendance. Epstein had promised four! Joe ventured into York Street to investigate and saw George Harrison being pulled out of a black cab by a bunch of screaming girls.

Thank you very much Laurie. I have of course read your wonderful book and hope you might be interested in the film I'm making which tracks the musical heritage of the No.50 bus route. I'm due to start filming in the summer with the first screening at the launch of the new Central Library. I've done a lot of research but one area I'm weak on is The Moat Club and Midnight City. Any help would be much appreciated!

I was a Beatles fan from day one but by the time they got round to visiting Brum they were too popular for my liking, all those screaming girls, I wouldn't go to see them not even go into the street as they passed by. Went to the Piccadilly to see 'Hard Day's Night', what a mistake that was as soon as the lights went down screaming girls and never heard a thing!:disgust:

Back