• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

385 Brookvale Road, Erdington

Paulo76

master brummie
Hello, does anyone know what was at 385 Brookvale Road, Erdington in December 1967 as my Great Gran died there and my mum thought she died in a Care Home?
Thank you

Looks like a 'typical' semi to me:-
https://www.myheritage.com/photo-50...rd-birmingham-this-is-where-sarah-ann-haycock

I'll take that back.
I did a search on the address and found that, however, using Google streeview, I cannot be certain of the location of 385 but it could possibly be where some houses were demolished in favour of a block of retirement apartments (Waterford Court, built 1999, so ??)..................still looking - Dave

Last edited:
I wondered if it might be what are now the retirement apartments on the corner of Brookvale Road and George Road? On Old-Maps there's what used to be Witton Hall, labelled "home for the aged and infirm" but the building numbers only appear to go up to 337 before the junction with Marsh Hill.

I think the place you are looking for was on the corner of George Rd and Brookvale Rd. I can't think what it was called. My nan resided there due to dementia and she died in 1968. It looks as if houses have took its place now. Its the building next to Lakeside Walk.brookvale.jpg

Last edited:
I think the place you are looking for was on the corner of George Rd and Brookvale Rd and I think was called Highcroft. My nan resided there due to dementia and she died in 1968. It looks as if houses have took its place now. Its the building next to Lakeside Walk.View attachment 111883

Thanks Terry, that sounds plausible as my great gran had mental health issues later in life too.

I can confirm that the buildings by Lakeside Walk were built as sheltered accommodation for elderly persons, and were sited on what was Witton Hall, itself a "home for the aged' for many years.

I can confirm that the buildings by Lakeside Walk were built as sheltered accommodation for elderly persons, and were sited on what was Witton Hall, itself a "home for the aged' for many years.

Thanks Pedrocut. My Great Gran was there in 1967 so presumably it was still Witton Hall at that time?

Paulo76. I think I got the name wrong, I was probably thinking of Highcroft Hospital. Just looked on nans death certificate but it doesn't say the name of the place. I remember visiting her 3 or 4 times before she died.

Paulo76. I think I got the name wrong, I was probably thinking of Highcroft Hospital. Just looked on nans death certificate but it doesn't say the name of the place. I remember visiting her 3 or 4 times before she died.

Thanks again Terry, can you remember what it was like inside?

Not really, I know she was in a small room, thats all. My mother did all the organising. I imagine they had a dining room where they all went. TBH, I never took much notice at the time. Mom tried to get her closer to home but there wasn't anywhere I presume. I was driving at the time so I was able to take my mother there. I seem to remember nan wasn't in there all that long before she died at the age of 87.

I used Google Earth (1999 view) where there is clearly demolition and bingo, 2003, new buildings!
If you google the address, in the results are a number of death records listed in the London Gazette. Your G-Gma may be amongst those. I have not seen any photos of the old buildings and the photo in the link I first gave is obviously incorrect. HTH - Dave

From 1918 to 1939 Witton Hall was for elderly men only. They were evacuated at the start of the war in 1939. In 1944 there was an resisted attempt to compulsory purchase more land from Witton Allotments Association to expand. The allotment owners claimed that some of them were older than the people in the home!

The last few entries for the Right Hand Side of Brookvale Road in the 1967/68 edition of Kelly's Trade Directory.

extract.JPG

Back