• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

36A, New Street, Newtown,Aston, Birmingham

lulibell

master brummie
I haven't been very successful finding out where this address is. I'm assuming it was demolished in the 1960's. How long has this district been know as Newtown; I was surprised it was Newtown in 1911?
This is my gt grandparents' address in 1911, John William Jessop was a pikelet and muffin maker.
Where is it and do any photos exist?
Thank you for your help.
Lu

New St Aston lead off High St opposite the Barton Arms, as shown below, no 36 in red
Mike

New_St_Aston_no_36__map__c1913.jpg

Lu
i didn't put on the map originally where i though no 36 wss. I have replaced the map now, and i think no 36 was the red building. It was certainly either that or the one next to it nearer the High St
Mike

Wow, Mike
I'm amazed you've worked that out. It was quite a big house, do you think they lived above a shop, bakery or cafe? Or perhaps they made the pilelets/ muffins in the family kitchen.
They had 5 children at this time.
Thank you so much, I'll be popping these on my family tree for the family to see.
Lu

the following information may be of interest (or not)
In the 1910 directory there are
Jessop Harry Muffin and piklet maker 73 St Martins St
Jessop Hubert c Muffin and pikelet baker 58 (back of ) Blythe St Ladywood

in the 1913 directory as well as the above there is a
Jessop John William Pikelet baker 36a New St Aston New Town

I haven't been very successful finding out where this address is. I'm assuming it was demolished in the 1960's. How long has this district been know as Newtown; I was surprised it was Newtown in 1911?
This is my gt grandparents' address in 1911, John William Jessop was a pikelet and muffin maker.
Thank you for your help.
Lu

Lu, on my 2 x gt grandparents' marriage certificate, in 1861, they stated they lived in Aston New Town. It's a very old name, given by the locals originally, but later it was officially known as Newtown.

Shortie

Shortie
Thanks for that, I'd no idea.
I remember fondly standing on my gt aunt's balony of her penthouse flat looking down on Newtown and the centre of Birmingham.
She pointed to show me where their family house had been before the slum clearance.
Lu

I had no idea either, Lu. Originally I thought it was a name thought up in the 1960's or so, but it's much older as you can see. I would like to know where my 2 x gt grandparents lived in 1861, too. Pity they never put down a full address.

shortie

According to carl chinn Newtown Row was named in the late 18th century when a New town was being built at Aston, and Newtown Row connected it to birmingham.
Regarding the Jessops pikelet makers.

1899-1915 Jessop Hubert C. , muffin & pikelet maker, back 28 Blythe St. Ladywood
1895-1903 Jessop Thomas Valentine muffin & pikelet maker, 75 St. Martin's street
1904-1905 Jessop Harry, muffin & pikelet maker, 75 St. Martin's street
1908 Jessop Harry, muffin & pikelet maker, 71 St. Martin's street
1910-1921 Jessop Harry, muffin & pikelet maker, 73 St. Martin's street
1912-1915 Jessop John William Pikelet baker 36a New St Aston New Town
The changes in numbers in St martins st seem real, and not missprints or accidental renumbering
mike
M ike

hi lu...here is another pic of new st...the trader van is parked next to the globe picture house..

lyn

Counting on the map, i think that no 36 might be the first 3-story building on the photo
mike

Hi,
You've all been really good to me.
Thanks for the photos and explanation.
This is a bit of a revellation ,Hubert Cornelius Jessop, I really wasn't sure if his name was Herbert where i've seen his name written.
Mike what's your source for the Jessop Pikelet makers,can you confirm please?
So it's definitely Hubert in print then? There are more distant cousins with Herbert than Hubert on their trees!! Which makes me smile!
Just so you know John William was Hubert Cornelius' son.I'm directly descended from these!
I'm so thrilled about this. The other Jessops were brothers of Hubert I think but I'll look. I had noticed that baking was a family business, spanning 4 generations.
At this time I believe that taking afternoon tea became popular for all sections of society.
I must have a go at making some pikelets!
Thanks guys, I'll study this more carefully later.
I may put up a family portrait too.
Lu

Lu
The info I gave you came from Kellys Birmingham directories. I should add that I did come across other bakers/confectioners in the directories. If you are interested, I could go back & find them , if you think they are also related.
Your attachment comes up as invalid when I try to access it.
Mike

Yes, please Mike, that would be interesting, especially as I suspect all the Jessops here were related.
The family was in Birmingham a couple of generations before but the pikelet making seems to have been started by John or Hubert's gran. i'll check her name.
I would also be interested if anyone comes across any Jessops in Yorkshire area (where I think the family originates) involved in baking or indeed any Jessop bakers that emigrated to North America.
Not sure about the attachment, perhaps it was too large.
Many thanks
Lu

Just checked in the 1861 census, 163 Bromsgrove St, Mary (nee Mayou) Jessop was pikelet baker after her fruiterer husband, William Jessop, born 1790, had died. They had lived at 81 Livery St in 1851.
Lu

Actually Lu, I stopped too soon anyway:. Below is a complete search going to earlier years, and also including some occasions where it appears that a change of occupation occurred. I have included previous results in the list to make it complete.

1833 Jessop William, fruiterer, 64 Livery St
1841 Jessop William, shopkeeper, 81 Livery St
1845-49 Jessop William, greengrocer, 81 Livery St
1851 Jessop.William, fishmonger 81 Livery St
1855 Jessop William. muffin & pikelet bkr. 163 Bromsgrove st
1855 Jessop William, greengrocer. 163 Bromsgrove st
1858 Jessop William, greengrocer. 162 Bromsgrove st
1862 Jessop Mrs Mary. muffin & pikelet bkr. 163 Bromsgrove st
1867 Jessop William. muffin & pikelet bkr. 163 Bromsgrove st
1868-73 Jessop Mrs Mary. muffin & pikelet bkr. 163 Bromsgrove st
1845 Jessop.William, muffin & crumpet maker, 15 bishopgate St
1849 Jessop.William, shopkeeper, 80 bishopgate St
1852-55 Jessop.William, baker, 90 bishopgate St
1858 Jessop.William, muffin maker, 59 Latimer St south
1867-68 Jessop William, baker, 68 Ryland st. north
1872-76 Jessop William, baker & confectioner, 68 Ryland st. north
1878 Jessop William, confectioner, Wood St, Ladywood
1879 Jessop William Henry confectioner, Wood St, Ladywood
1880 Jessop Hubert Cornelius, beer retailer, 95 Morville street
1884 Jessop Hubert Cornelius, baker, 30 Park street, Higbgate
1868 Jessop Thos., muffin maker 119William st
1872 Jessop Thos.Valentine, muffin maker 119William st
1873-76 Jessop Thos.Valentine, baker & flour dealer 119William st
1880-84 Jessop Thos.Valentine, muffin & crumpet maker. 119William st
1888-1903 Jessop Thos.Valentine, muffin & pikelet maker. 75 St Martins St
1899-1915 Jessop Hubert C. , muffin & pikelet maker, back 28 Blythe St. Ladywood
1899-1900 Jessop, William, baker 61 Mansfield Rd Aston
1903 Jessop, William,Henry baker 296 Highgate road
1904-1905 Jessop Harry, muffin & pikelet maker, 75 St. Martin's street
1908 Jessop Harry, muffin & pikelet maker, 71 St. Martin's street
1910-1921 Jessop Harry, muffin & pikelet maker, 73 St. Martin's street
1912-1915 Jessop John William Pikelet baker 36a New St Aston New Town

With regard to bakers in yorkshire I have found :

1822 Jessop Bridgett, flour dealer, 44 Pond St, sheffield
1834 Jessop George , baker & flour dealer high st rotherham
1872 Jessop William, baker, 60 Hyde Park rd leeds

:DThis is brilliant, Mike, thanks!
I hope you find this as fasinating as I do.
I thought this baking connection may help me work out where the Jessops ancestors lived pre William and Mary( nee Mayou) and wonderful to see Yorkshire bakers and flour merchants you found.
Interesting as it appears that occupation changed; I think different members of the household dabbled in sidelines. We know they dabbled in running pubs and possibly brewing. In 1861 census 81 year old Mary Mayou was making pikelets after death of William her husband, who was a fruiterer, her daughter took over the fruit selling. Not every business sideline would be mentioned in the trade directory, as we know from the censuses, eg John William was a barman when he was a young man, and later worked at Morville Brewery then on to pikelet making.

This has given me great scope for further research Mike
Hi to any other family members browsing this thread!
Lu
:)

Thank you for your help.
Lu

I lived at 22 New St in the 1950's and I believe it was all demolished to build the Aston Expressway. Yes I always new it as Newtown, Aston ,your great grandparents must have had a business on Newtown Row. It was like living in Birmingham's theatre district because the Globe cinema was on the corner and the Aston Hippodrome was on High St, at the bottom of the street. Regards Ann

I lived at 22 New St in the 1950's and I believe it was all demolished to build the Aston Expressway. Yes I always new it as Newtown, Aston ,your great grandparents must have had a business on Newtown Row. It was like living in Birmingham's theatre district because the Globe cinema was on the corner and the Aston Hippodrome was on High St, at the bottom of the street. Regards Ann

Thanks Ann
It's good to get a flavour of a place.
I remember it from the 1960's onwards, so much of the housing of my ancestors was demolished by then, but it's great that photos were taken before hand. I'm pleased my thread and its contributors have brought back memories for you.
All the best
Lu
:)

Thank you both

I can't tell you how interesting these are to me.
My great aunt was rehoused to a penthouse flat and I remember all the views from her balcony.

Lu

Hi mossg.
I was interested in your photograph in post 27. Here is another view of the same area.you can see the cars in the photograph are the same,and the shop in the background is the Herbal stores.and also from another angle looking towards Gerard Street.View attachment 68402View attachment 68400

Last edited:
I have just come across this thread. We lived in New Street since before the War at number 45 which is the house in the photo in #27, to the right of the picture, with a new frontage with bright brickwork and a modern window. This was done in 1950 when my mother had the shop that she had run there converted back into a house. I left in 1966 and my parents a few years later when everything was cleared away. At the time this photo was taken the bottom of the street had been cut off just past the last house on the right to build the "new" Newtown Centre, and the flats that can be seen in the photo. The Herbal Stores was run by Hilda Dawes and her husband, good friends of our family.

Back