• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

369 City Road 'Temple Row House'

Kennedy

Hello Everyone,

I am the recent owner. I just brought the above property and plan on restoring it to match what it used to look like inside and out. I have found out quite a bit already it was built by a Joseph Gillott pre 1901 (that is when he sold it). He was a huge buyer of land in Edgbaston I am wondering is Gilliot road named after him? Does anyone know of any where I can find some pictures of the building in its past glory?

Attachments

• 269726065_1088497361914196_3780327541506693909_n.jpg
    269726065_1088497361914196_3780327541506693909_n.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hello Kennedy, and welcome. Joseph Gillott 1799 – 1872) became wealthy as a steel pen nib maker. He bought an estate in the area and developed it for housing. So Gillott Road is undoubtedly named after him. He was also a collector of fine musical instruments and art, including paintings by Turner. There's quite a range of material on-line about the man and his business. His son was also called Joseph Gillott, so he would be the Gillott who sold the house in 1901? (Or perhaps his grandson of the same name.)

I don't see any older pictures of your house though. Gillott senior's own home for many years was The Grove in Westbourne Road. The Library of Birmingham may be able to help you with picture searching? [email protected]

You have an ambitious project in restoring the house.

Derek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Gillott

Last edited:
there is also a thread here for joseph gillott..i will search my photo files for any older photos of the building

Back