• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

24 lower loveday street look up please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...would someone be so kind as to find out what sort of establishment 24 lower loveday st was in 1901 please...i have found my gt gt grandad living there...at a guess i would think it maybe a hostel...

many thanks..:)

hi mike..on the 1901 census it says 24 lower loveday st and there are about 15 lodgers living there so i thought it may have been a hostel...was there no number 24 then..could be the number was written down wrong..

lyn

Hi Lyn this is much later than you mention I remember back in the early 60s there was a Hostel run by the R.C.Church on the corner of Lower Loveday St and Princip St perhaps the address is wrong. Dek

hi dek..thanks eveso for that info..with the problems i am having with the way names etc are transcribed on the census reports there is a very good chance that this RC hostel could be the one..im sure if mike can work this one out he will..

thanks again dek..

brillient lyn thanks a lot for that must have been a large house then..dont surpose its still there though....thats that one sorted..lol..

cheers..

lyn

Have looked at the census, and it certainly seems to be 24 (it is just after Back of 24). Can find no hostel in Lower loveday st in 1900 in Kellys. Looks like its just a house taking in a lot of lodgers . The building is marked red in the 1889 map below.It seems identical in the 1905 map.

lower_loveday_st__no_24__map_c_1889~0.jpg

They certainly packed them in in those days, in the 1881 census my g. grandparents ran a lodging house at 27 Chapel Street, I don't know what size it was but in all 23 people are named on the census my g. grandparents and their 6 youngest children plus 15 lodgers!!!!

hi sylv...i am going to take a trip to lower loveday st soon...dont expect the building to be there now but it will be good just to walk the street that me gt grandad did...think i must have walked nearly every st in that area since starting my family research...

lyn

thanks for that info john..if there is anything worth taking a pic of when i get down to loveday st i will post on here...

lyn

Hi Mike
Would you mind if I asked you where you got your detailed Birmingham map from? I've been looking everywhere and can't find one for sale.
Many thanks,
Barbara

Barbara
The map was from the oldmaps website. It comes under the "Town plans" For Birmingham, they are only available at that large scale for about 1889. You have to go on to the website, put in the town (presumably birmingham in this case). This can take a time to download, and gives you a modern map. You then have to move to where you are interested in and click on the place on the map. You can then go to the box in the top right hand corner to see what is available for that area and click on that.
Website is at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html
Mike

Back