• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2 back 34 Church Lane Aston

ray@28beech

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I've recently sent for the birth certificate of my husbands mother and she was born at the above address. Does anyone have a map or photos of that part of Aston please?

Below is map showing no 34 and 3 back 24 Church lane Aston in red

map_c_1889_showing_2_back_24_church_lane_aston.jpg

Thanks Mikejee, that's great! Do you have any idea what the large 'building/space' is that the court backs on to?

I think its just an open space. It seems to remain until the area is "redeveloped" in the 1960s

Am I read this map wrong it shows a double tram track from Aston Cross going to the left down Church Lane as single track to Aston Church.

I've looked through all my Birmingham Trams at this junction the track ran from Salford Bridge up to Lozells the number 5, but I can find no mention of a track down Church Lane.

Trams going to Aston Church would have gone up Park Road crossing Victoria Rd at the top with a run down the hill to the Witton Depot

Can anybody enlighten me, having lived down Sandy Lane, I can't remember ever seeing tram track down Church Lane

The map is c1889, probably slightly earlier in about 1885. These would have been horse trams I think

That must be an old map as its not showing any tram lines on Victoria Road which is where the lozells tram would go, my grandparents lived in Church Lane and my mother grew up in the lane and l don't recall any trams ....maybe it was a misprint.....Brenda

Thank you Ray..those dates were way before my mothers time.her birth date was 1905..and never heard my grand parents mention any thing about a gas tram either but it was nice to find out a bit of Aston history......Brenda

Hi Brenda
Hope you don't mind me asking but I have an interest in this it was were I was born.

I'm researching all the roads at the junction with Lichfield Rd so far I have listed all the people who lived on this road from no.1 to 560 at Salford Bridge next on the list will Church Lane which so far I've completed the odd number side.

Would you mind what was the name of your nan and do you have house number I'm having a little problem with the even numbers.

I worked at the GEC for 12 years and I have found a large amount of information about workers some of which worked with or there relations.

I found some really interesting facts about workers and employers, I hope when I finished to able to give them to Aston supports of the Forum.

Regards Ray

Ray, hope l can help..my g/parents were William and Alice Coates they lived at 33 Church Lane until around 1930 and then moved a few houses down to 63 Church Lane and opened a little newsagents shop they both died in 1947 then my uncle Billy Coates kept it going for a few years....if you get on the electoral rolls on Ancestry it will give you all the street names and numbers and occupancies l think it goes up to 1950 ...Brenda....good luck

Hi Brenda
Thanks for the information I'll get crack to see what it throws up, I will let you see results.

Attachment is of one of the Steam trams which ran CHURCH lANE.

Thanks to a picture in super book Birmingham Corporation Tramways Tramways & Trollybuses

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 40
Ray. I'm not very knowledgeable about trams, but shouldn't there be a chimney on the power unit (or whatever they called them then) of a steam tram?

1911 census; 64, Church Lane. William Kirby wife Janet Kirby (nee While). 8 children, including my father-in-law.

Ray. I'm not very knowledgeable about trams, but shouldn't there be a chimney on the power unit (or whatever they called them then) of a steam tram?

Hi Mike.

Its not very clear on the picture but there is a Chimney just to the left of the small window in the house.

Its about 6 inches X 36 inches high, this tram no. 18 was made at Kitson & Co of Leeds.

It would interesting to find out where they shedded ?

Regards Ray

Hi Mike

One of the places the steam trams was housed next to the tram depot in Witton to the left hand side.

The building and the track was still in place as far I'm aware but not living in the Birmingham the last 10 years I've no idea if it remains.

Regards Ray

Back